Why become a member? ×

Recommended PA Speakers?

cameltoe

Can anyone recommend any decent PA Speakers for our band? We're having to upgrade our current gear and wanted to know what people's opinions were. We're a fairly loud five piece band playing folk rock, quite stompy music and like to have a punchy clear sound.

The speakers usually have vocals, acoustic guitar, fiddle and mandolin going through them. Occasionally we put a trickle of the lead guitarist through as well when it's a big venue or stage.

I rarely put any of my bass through- we don't use subs although sometimes I wish we did at the bigger venues, especially some of the outdoor gigs we do.

Price, as always, is an issue, but I guess we could splash out around £600ish.

Yeah I'd heard EV's could be the way to go. They seem expensive though. Guess you get what you pay for.

We already have peavey eurosys things, they're OK but a bit tinny and are starting to crackle a bit. Well worn and gigged.

We're just after passive speakers, we have the power amp and desk sorted.

They're expensive, but EVs are the way to go. Our more basic rig uses EV SX100s, various amps and stuff, and through that we run a 4 piece folk band and it's brilliant. When it's out doing rock gigs, add another amp and a pair of subs. Couldn't recommend EV any higher though.

[quote name='largo' post='887507' date='Jul 6 2010, 04:44 PM']EV's for us too, pair of sx200 & sx300's. Bullet-proof ![/quote]

Can't beat them can you? Only got ours for around £200 the pair, brand new!! The shop was having a big clearout and needed rid of them. They're brilliant as they're light, solid and can take a lot of level whilst maintaining dynamic clarity!

Edited by goblin

• 2 weeks later...