Why become a member? ×

It's Here!! Fender Japan Fretless rarity!

AndyTravis

Hello chaps...

This particular bass was up for trades a good while ago. And then it disappeared.

I offered to buy it outright at the time...but no such luck.

Then one day last week, the original owner and myself struck up a deal over a USA Strat I had for sale.

I'm now a very happy monkey (Thanks to the original owner!)

Better pics to follow, but the bass arrived with me yesterday. And i've been "MWAHH, BWAAAP, MWAHH, BUHWEEEP, MOW MOW, BUAMP" - Ing since then.

Fender PB70-84US/FL is the model number.

It's basically a Japanese 70's reissue Precision, Ash Body, Maple Neck, Seperate Maple Fingerboard, USA Pickups.
They were a small run in the mid 2000's, not made for export.

Apart from this one, I have only ever seen a used one about a year or so ago and had let it go...And then I bumped into this one on BC.

My need for a Fretless, MN Precision bass grew to the extent that I had started looking for original 70's ones, and was speaking to WesFinn about having a 'Steed' replica made...but I was in luck, my patience/perseverance was rewarded and here it is.

Covers and Thumbrest (above the 'e') are going on tomorrow (Allparts delivering to work) and then I think by payday, i'll have a set of Overwater Flatwounds on it - currently has roundwounds on but i think it will wear through the lacquer after a couple of months of gigging.

It's brilliant, the sound really is not like any fretless i've ever played before; I can't get away from the nasal Jaco bridge pickup type sound when i play a fretless Jazz or P/J. So this is really something fresh. A big warm sound with 50% tone off, and then a funky big sounding thing with tone full on. Tone off is very double bass ish.

The Body is 3-Piece Ash, the middle piece is a bit flamey...And it is heavy as hell (easily over 10lbs), but...i like it.
Neck is big and wide, but I play a 50's and 62' reissue Precision quite a bit, so i'm at home, really.

Enjoy - I'll take some better photos when the covers are on.

Enjoy for now.

Trav

I've got the fretted version of this model which a very good friend of mine brought back from Japan for me. However there is something astonishing beautiful about the maple fretless. Well done for getting hold of this. If you ever decide it's not for you and want to move it on I'll be first in the queue :)

That's gorgeous - very Sting circa 1979 :)

Let me know how the Overwaters work out as the flats I've tried so far on mine are a tad too thuddy (Pyramid Golds and Rotosounds)

Edited by Shaggy

Argh - you swines :)

You're right about the nasal tones of the Jazz fretless - that's the one thing I don't like about mine. I have to fiddle about too much to get the sound I like, which is something shy of a Pbass sound.

One day I will own a black unlined fretless P with a dark wood board...

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='876963' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:54 PM']loz, i'll have this in the shop tomorrow if you want to come in and have a poke.

You have to bring the nordy though.

Andy[/quote]

I'll try to get over later...the Nordy is for sale (!) - yikes - that didn't last long. It's lovely, lovely, lovely but the neck is far too much of a handful for me (I'm used to skinny J types)

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='876923' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:18 PM']It's basically a Japanese 70's reissue Precision, Ash Body, Maple Neck, Seperate Maple Fingerboard, USA Pickups.
They were a small run in the mid 2000's, not made for export.[/quote]

I have one very similar to this with a CIJ 'P' serial (1999-2002?) , except that it has frets and a jazz-width neck. Mine has TI Jazz Flats on, cant beat them!

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='876923' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:18 PM']The Body is 3-Piece Ash, the middle piece is a bit flamey...And it is heavy as hell (easily over 10lbs), but...i like it.[/quote]
Oh and by the way, man up! 10lbs is puny, my banjo weighs more than that!

[quote name='pete.young' post='877791' date='Jun 25 2010, 09:39 PM']Oh and by the way, man up! 10lbs is puny, my banjo weighs more than that![/quote]

"It's easily over 10lbs..." could mean any weight over 10lbs...say 15st...(?)

I'm not worried by weight whatsoever, I just know some people like to know with Fender gear, that's all.

And having a f***ed up back is not manly...whatsoever.

Banjos are ultra heavy though.

Lovely looking bass, Andy :)

I picked up my first serious fretless this last weekend & I've been practising hard ever since. You'd think I'd find it easy as a pro double bass player, but you really have to be ultra clinical with your left hand technique on these things.

So I know where you're at at the moment, mate - Lots of mwaah going on here too! :rolleyes: