Why become a member? ×

String Number

mcgraham

I hope not too many people have been turned off such a topic, as I have a question that I myself can't seem to find an answer for by myself, and I was hoping for some input.

I've played 4s, 5s and 6es, got on best with 4s and 6es but it's been a few years since I had both around at the same time.
After having the Smith I discovered that, like Elros, I used the additional high C somewhat when practicing at home, it got no use whatsoever in a band/group performance context. Even when I wanted to use it and could hear parts that used it, it just did not work. Quite the reverse with the low B, I tend to avoid it in practice and rarely hear parts go below that low E. When in a band context, if I hear a part that goes lower or I need a lower note, I simply downtune to the appropriate note.

My question is, how did/do you guys make the decision as to how many strings you'd need/like/want/have? I am considering perhaps a 6 string jazz by Shuker in the future, literally just a 6 string Geddy without any trimmings. But I don't know, my fear is once I'd got it and the delight of a new instrument wore off that I'd just sidle on back to my trusty 4.

Any thoughts on such a choice or how to make such a decision?

Mark

I went from a 4 to a fretless 6 as I'd heard Marco Mendoza on a live album called "Screaming Blue Murder". This was a fretless in a rock context and I just loved how it was being used and how it sounded. I ordered a Yamaha TRB6 II (as this was a great, reasonably priced bass) from the Bass Centre in Wapping and immediately it came in I played it for about 2 minutes, then asked then to de-fret it !!

So time went on and I saw Bill Dickens' tutorial tapes and heard him on "Snap, Crackle and Pop" live. Because of this I wanted a fretted 6 string, but found the Conklin Groove Tools 7 strings were available. I bought mine of eBay for US$800 and made sure I was up at 4 in the morning to make sure that I got it.

I so enjoy playing the 7, that when I had the finances in place I ordered a 7 string Sei. I'd wanted a Sei ever since I first saw one, so when i had the chance to order one, I asked for a 7 string. Then I had the Conklin de-fretted and ramped by John Shuker. I keep meaning to post pics, I'm just waiting for copies of the good ones to be mailed to me !).

So I've been playing ERB's (a I later found out they were called) for about 5 years or so and my basses are either 4's or 7's, nothing in between. As I've mentioned in this forum before, I'm seriously considering selling two four string basses and my upright to finance a 9 string....

Thanks for the response 7string (is it Matt?), I'm glad you chimed in as it is people like you and Dood whose opinion I'm most keen on hearing.

I too have listened to people on such ERBs and thought 'wow', and been inspired to pursue something like that. My second bass after only a few months of playing was the Ibanez I've just sold and played exclusively for years *sheds a tear*. Moved to Britain and got a Geddy Lee (left the Ibanez overseas til recently) and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Same with the Smith, played that exclusively for an atrocious period of time per day for the last few months and I don't feel like I'm missing anything when back on the 4.

I guess the (perhaps almost false) dilemma is that I sometimes wonder what I'm missing out on not having more strings, but when I get one, I think that the additional strings are cool but effectively superfluous. The grass is always greener eh?

Mark

I have an 8-string range across 2 basses: a 5-string Warwick streamer LX strung F#-B-E-A-D, and a new ACG 6'er strung E-A-D-G-C-F.

I had a 7-stringer for a while (B-F), but I found that that number of strings was too many for me to handle to keep them from resonating and causing other noises: I really like to use open strings to play off, therefore tying a scrunchy round the 1st fret seemed a rubbish idea to me.

Anyway, I'm all for extended range, but there's no way I can use >6 strings as that's just not comfy for my hands or practical for me.

I've found songs in a band setting where the extra low is great, and others the extra high, but I've never found one where I needed >6 in a single song, so I'm happy to have the other on a stand.

As a further note, due to the size of the F# string, I can't put one on a >5 unless I play it a chest-level, which is again something I don't like.

Just a quick reply...

I played lead guitar is a band for a fairly successful band for a few years, whilst I took a break from playing bass. In short.. the low end called me back to my home!! - When I returned to bass playing I really wanted to carry on being able to use the techniques, styles and sounds that I had been using on guitar as part of my bass playing. I guess I still wanted to play guitar as well!!

So I had originally planned on a 5er.. but my partner at the time suggested..well at least laid down the gauntlet, when we were in the bass centre (back when it was in Wapping) pointed to a 6 string bass and said "bet you cant play that' - It really was a defining moment. - A happy ending to the story.. I still own that very bass!! It was the best for me, in the shop by complete coincidence.

I ended up playing in 3 piece bands and found the ability to strum chords and do pseudo keyboard parts ended up being very helpful when the guitarist went off to do a solo, for example.

I just thought of an example! I once played at a wedding with another band.. and the bride requested we play Aerosmith's "don't wanna miss a thing" - I was very proud of myself, when I managed to play the piano part instead of the bass.. its rather pretty considering the song is cheese-mongous in a wedding sort of way lol lol

The 7 string came out of a passion for bands that use really low tunings.. I had the opportunity to add the string and thankfully it paid off! I am now in a band who like to include my 'sub pink note' tunings ;o)

disclaimer .. IMHO .. YMMV ... blah blah blah

Goooood answers... it's always really inspiring to read about other people's joy in playing.

Dood, I used to do likewise with the 6 string, half the gigs the band leader would get ticked off cos I'd noodle (even if it added to the song, by very definition if you are up in the higher register, you can't be holding down the bass part) and half the time it really worked, but because it was a melodic part that didn't need bass and they were taking advantage of having those extra strings.....ahhhh, now I remember why I liked having the extra strings, for THOSE moments :)

That 6 string jazz may be on the cards after all... I wonder how much that'd set me back.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='96702' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:41 PM']That 6 string jazz may be on the cards after all... I wonder how much that'd set me back.

Mark[/quote]

pop your ideas for a design down on an email, send it out to all your favourite luthiers, then ring them in a day or so to discuss a price .. easy!

I've stuck with 4 so far as that's all that's been needed in the bands I've been in (dropping the E to D if necessary), but I've often wanted to get a 5 for the low B range, and will do at some point.

6, 7 and upwards is interesting with the added chordal/simultaneous chord or melody + bassline possibilities (for single notes the tone always seems to thin out on the higher strings though), but I find there's always a compromise between string spacing and neck width, plus there's more to mute, and being a cheapskate- more to spend on new strings :)

Edited by SJA

Hmm, you are a wise man sir... I may do that. Wouldn't happen til sometime next year though, and bits of gear would have to go to fund it, the proceeds from the Smith would cover a good portion of it though.

There's a beautiful 6 string black alder/maple Low End Jazz for sale over on the Low End forum for a great price, unfortunately I like 16-17mm spacing and that one looks to be 18-19mm. Otherwise it'd be perfect!

Mark

I used to play a 4 string, and i'd play basslines, and play the routes along with riffs and etc, "holding down the low end", but when it got to a chilled out, relaxed bit of the song, I wanted to play something nice and soft that wasn't making your ears flap, and I couldn't go high enough for this on my 4 string. I got the 6 string because I didn't realise (I was young) that I could have a 5 string with a high C. Now I have the 6ers though, I use the low b to add to my low end playing, adding in fifths I couldn't reach before, or playing fat low roots too low for the E string.

[quote name='mcgraham' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:30 PM' post='96611']
I hope not too many people have been turned off such a topic, as I have a question that I myself can't seem to find an answer for by myself, and I was hoping for some input.

I've played 4s, 5s and 6es, got on best with 4s and 6es but it's been a few years since I had both around at the same time.
After having the Smith I discovered that, like Elros, I used the additional high C somewhat when practicing at home, it got no use whatsoever in a band/group performance context. Even when I wanted to use it and could hear parts that used it, it just did not work. Quite the reverse with the low B, I tend to avoid it in practice and rarely hear parts go below that low E. When in a band context, if I hear a part that goes lower or I need a lower note, I simply downtune to the appropriate note.

My question is, how did/do you guys make the decision as to how many strings you'd need/like/want/have? I am considering perhaps a 6 string jazz by Shuker in the future, literally just a 6 string Geddy without any trimmings. But I don't know, my fear is once I'd got it and the delight of a new instrument wore off that I'd just sidle on back to my trusty 4.

Any thoughts on such a choice or how to make such a decision?

Mark

MB1. :)
Im looking forward to a lovely Christmas dinner with all the trimmings in the future!
Stick to the 4.... :huh:

[quote name='colda' post='96612' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:38 PM']easy, 4 fingers = 4 strings

anyone who plays more that 4 must, by definition, be an inbred mutant

:)[/quote]

I also have 4 feet. But that's enough of my bragging.. *insert sid james laughter*

[quote name='mcgraham' post='96647' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:19 PM']Thanks for the response 7string (is it Matt?), I'm glad you chimed in as it is people like you and Dood whose opinion I'm most keen on hearing.

I guess the (perhaps almost false) dilemma is that I sometimes wonder what I'm missing out on not having more strings, but when I get one, I think that the additional strings are cool but effectively superfluous. The grass is always greener eh?

Mark[/quote]

Cheers, mate. In real life I'm a Mark as well...

I don't use all the strings all the time, I've just got used to playing everything on a 7 and using the extra range where I think it would fit. In some cases they are superfluous, but I just can't be bothered to change basses....

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='96662' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:38 PM']I have an 8-string range across 2 basses: a 5-string Warwick streamer LX strung F#-B-E-A-D, and a new ACG 6'er strung E-A-D-G-C-F.[/quote]

That's a darn clever way of organising things....

[quote name='dood' post='96665' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:46 PM']I played lead guitar is a band for a fairly successful band for a few years, whilst I took a break from playing bass. In short.. the low end called me back to my home!! - When I returned to bass playing I really wanted to carry on being able to use the techniques, styles and sounds that I had been using on guitar as part of my bass playing.

So I had originally planned on a 5er.. but my partner at the time suggested..well at least laid down the gauntlet, when we were in the bass centre (back when it was in Wapping) pointed to a 6 string bass and said "bet you cant play that' - It really was a defining moment. - A happy ending to the story.. I still own that very bass!! It was the best for me, in the shop by complete coincidence.

I just thought of an example! I once played at a wedding with another band.. and the bride requested we play Aerosmith's "don't wanna miss a thing" - I was very proud of myself, when I managed to play the piano part instead of the bass.. its rather pretty considering the song is cheese-mongous in a wedding sort of way lol lol[/quote]

See I absolutely suck at lead guitar, but I do like the odd solo every now and again....

Ahh, The Bass Centre in Wapping with the hard to find front door. Spent many lunchtimes in there just talking bass before running back to the office...

"Don't wanna miss a thing" is a Diane Warren song and therefore well away from fromage-ville :)

[quote name='dood' post='96740' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:30 PM']pop your ideas for a design down on an email, send it out to all your favourite luthiers, then ring them in a day or so to discuss a price .. easy![/quote]

Doing that at the mo for the 9 string thing. Just to make contact and see how difficult they consider the instrument to be. With great £/$ exchange rate, a lot of the US luthiers come into play as well.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='96749' date='Nov 30 2007, 03:38 PM']Hmm, you are a wise man sir... I may do that. Wouldn't happen til sometime next year though, and bits of gear would have to go to fund it, the proceeds from the Smith would cover a good portion of it though.

There's a beautiful 6 string black alder/maple Low End Jazz for sale over on the Low End forum for a great price, unfortunately I like 16-17mm spacing and that one looks to be 18-19mm. Otherwise it'd be perfect!

Mark[/quote]

Low End are so cool and they're prices are superb as well (so good the American's want their currency to be low to promote exports !). Well worth considering/contacting

I play a 6 string because it makes stuff so much easier, playing across the neck instead of having to make shifts up and down while folowing a chord chart.

The extra range is also great, a lot of jazz stuff is in Bb or Eb, the lowest Eb on a 'normal' bass is only a semitone lower than the E string on a guitar.

I'd like to get a 7 and have a low F sharp, I'm also tempted to get a 9 string, it's great being able to play chords and bass notes at the same time when the guitarist is soloing.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='96611' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:30 PM']When in a band context, if I hear a part that goes lower or I need a lower note, I simply downtune to the appropriate note.[/quote]

ok i don't quite understand this. You say that as if it's simpler then just having a string with lower notes on it which it's not really.

5 string btw.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote]ok i don't quite understand this. You say that as if it's simpler then just having a string with lower notes on it which it's not really.[/quote]

You're right, it's not easier than having that extra low string.

My apologies if that came across as a bash or saying it's easier to drop tune than have a 5 string, what I AM saying is that I have used a 4 exclusively for the last few years and rarely ever needed to (or chose to) go lower than the low E in the groups I'd played in, hence didn't need more than a 4 99% of the time. But whenever I did, I downtuned for that song. I hope that clears up what I meant.

Mark