Why become a member? ×

Benefits of endorsements

ThomBassmonkey

I've just been offered an endorsement by a big company and I'm pretty excited about it!

But (I hate to say that because I'd love to take this endorsement without a 2nd thought)

I've only had my GK amp for the last 4 months or so, I've not even finished paying it off yet and I absolutely love it. The endorsement I've been offered is for a company that also make very nice amps and if I hadn't just payed out £1500 for my stack, I'd have no problems picking this one over it.

To accept the endorsement, I'd have to sell the GK, I wouldn't really be losing any money because of the savings from the endorsement, but I'd basically be paying retail price (maybe a little over after all the factors are taken into account) on the new gear after factoring the loss on the GK, plus the hassle and time of trying to sell it. If it was purely about getting a new amp, I'd refuse it because I don't need a new amp really, I like the one I have already.

The thing is though, how much of an advantage is there to having a big brand as an endorsement? Aside from actually buying things, how much influence does it carry when people are looking at your band's website and your own personal stuff and see a big name there? I know that my band really wants me to accept the endorsement because it looks good for us (they're trying to find endorsements too) and I want to do it for myself too, but it'll be a fair bit of messing about to make it happen.

Have any of you guys that have endorsements seen much rise in activity with your bands/session work because people are seeing your endorsement or is it really not making any difference?

I think I'm gonna try and go with it, purely because I'll be kicking myself if I don't, but it's not the easy choice that I always thought an endorsement offer would be.

Endorsements mean jack unless you are a name player and you have got somebody else ensuring that your rig of choice miraculously appears on stage for you wherever you are in the world. There are very few endorsements like that. There are very few endoresements where the endorser gets paid. It's all about paying the same price for your gear as the dealer. The actually manufacturer doesn't lose out... but gets free advertising if you happen to make any big waves.

It depends if you want some ego boosting I guess... If you like your gear and getting no benefits, what's the point? Is it worth it just to say that you are endorsed? Not for me it doesn't. I certainly don't pay attention to any endorsements that a band or a player has.

Let me guess... Warwick?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='875251' date='Jun 23 2010, 12:00 PM']Guy in bar "What amp do you use?"
You "I use a **** I have an endorsement deal"

Or

Guy in bar "What amp do you use?"
You "I use a GK, I got offered an endorsement deal with **** but I just prefer the GK"[/quote]

Guy in bar "What amp do you use?"
You "A GK. I prefer them to other amps I have tried."

...is the more classy response.

It is partially the pride thing, I'll not deny that.

These amps' RRP is cheaper anyway, but I could basically move from my rig to an equivalent rig (though a single 4x10 instead of 2 2x10s, I could get the 2x10s but if hey, as has been said, I want the loud one (or it would be if I got another 410 anyway)) and have a fair bit of pocket change (this is all assuming I can sell my rig for around the £1000 mark, which I think is more than fair considering it's age) or I could upgrade it to a high end head and fork out a little extra.

I'm fairly confident I'm gonna go for it if I can get the cash for my GK rig. I'm just crap at making choices. Taking the endorsement would also be good for upgrading my amp, though I don't feel I really need to at the moment, if I move up to 2x4x10s, it'd be a lot cheaper, same if I ever needed more power from my head.

I have to agree with the point of what are you getting out of it..

If you wanted that gear and were lucky enough to get it at trade, then ok..worth it..
get paid to endorse...answer is obvious.

Have to buy something you don't need/want for free advertising and supposed kudos....you have your priorities wrong if it isn't your amp of choice.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='875325' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:01 PM']It sounds like a pretty raw deal for the artist to be honest. How long does a standard deal run for?[/quote]

As far as I know, just as long as both parties are interested.

And it's far from a raw deal, heavily discounted gear? Yes please. It's just a pain because I already have gear from another manufacturer. I think the long term benefits outweight the short term ball aches though. At least it's a risk I'm prepared to take if I can shift my GK rig.

There's a reason you chose GK over the other brands.

Why?

If you would have bought Brand X (the company offering you the deal) products but they were out of your budget, and the deal means you can afford them, go for it.

Also, I always thought that the artist was endorsing the company, not the other way round.

[quote name='270degrees' post='875728' date='Jun 23 2010, 07:01 PM']Also, I always thought that the artist was endorsing the company, not the other way round.[/quote]

+1, If you are advertising them, and their not advertising you, it seems like your endorsing them! but still, i'd probably go for it for the cheap gear/ego value! :)

End of the day and the only thing thats important is, do you like the sound of the endorsers amps over the sound of your GK ?....... if you don't forget it. The first stage of endoseree is that you will be able to get hold of their products for gigs etc. Basically you can get hold of their gear through one of the hire companies like John Henry's, but you have to collect and return it. You can also buy their products at distributor price. Thats basically it, the question is why would you want to, 'cos if you liked their stuff you wouldn't have the GK!

I used to have this kind of 'endorsment' from smashdown that well known amp company, its basically just marketing for them, but served its purpose at the time as living in london I didn't have the space and couldn't be arsed having heads and cabs lying about. But I liked the sound of the amp i was using for the band i was in so it was cool. These days however I just use my ears to select what I want the music and the sound is king. Be careful as you may damage your tone! but if you can make a few quid out of it do it :)

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='875233' date='Jun 23 2010, 11:35 AM']I've just been offered an endorsement by a big company and I'm pretty excited about it! Have any of you guys that have endorsements seen much rise in activity with your bands/session work because people are seeing your endorsement or is it really not making any difference?

I think I'm gonna try and go with it, purely because I'll be kicking myself if I don't, but it's not the easy choice that I always thought an endorsement offer would be.[/quote]

It should be an easy decision - endorsements are just that: someone placing a vote of confidence in YOU.

Life is full of opportunities and you never know quite how they will pan out until you give it one. So to speak. As it were.

The only equivalent to endorsements I've ever had is being published in pro-photography mags and newspapers. Without exception these brought good things to the table. Being able to honestly apply endorsements to your own marketing is most certainly a good thing in my experience.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='875818' date='Jun 23 2010, 08:35 PM']It should be an easy decision - endorsements are just that: someone placing a vote of confidence in YOU.[/quote]

Not necessarily.....

Some 'endorsements' are purely a case of selling you gear cheaper,often at cost plus VAT and that's it.
A couple of months ago I was offered a deal with a very popular,and very yellow, amp company. After a
few e-mails,it turned out that the deal was that I could buy the amps direct from the UK distributor at a
discount,but that was all.I asked if,as part of the 'endorsement',I would at least get my name on the artist
page of the website,but was told no- I would have no dealings with the actual company whatsoever.
Consequently,I turned it down-It's not like I need a new amp.
The way I saw it was all I would be doing was buying more gear,and maybe placing their logo on my
website and things. For that,I at least want a mention on theirs.
If the company has confidence in you,they will offer you more than just discounted gear. If I'm expected to
promote a company,I personally,would like a little promotion in return.

+1 on what Doddy said. If a company wants you to market their gear, you're efforts should be noted by that brand. There has to be other benefits other than gear at cost. If you are really happy with GK stick with them. Have you contacted Gallien about a deal? Could be worth a try. At the end of the day the worst they can say is no. No harm in trying.

I'd do what Mog says, contact GK and say you've been offered this deal but really like their gear is there anything they can do for you?

A few bands round my way are 'endorsed' by Monster, one even got a Herbalife endorsement. WTF? Seems to be the in thing to put your gear on your myspace even if you're not endorsed as well.

[quote name='Lifer' post='876448' date='Jun 24 2010, 02:27 PM']I'd do what Mog says, contact GK and say you've been offered this deal but really like their gear is there anything they can do for you?

A few bands round my way are 'endorsed' by Monster, one even got a Herbalife endorsement. WTF? Seems to be the in thing to put your gear on your myspace even if you're not endorsed as well.[/quote]

I went to studio that was endorsed by Monster I still have some in the car, great for long drives home.

One morning at 3am in some Service Station on the way back from a gig we met a Ginsters Rep......
We told him that we survive on their food after gigs & wondered whether we could get an endorsement.... he wasn't impressed! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lifer' post='876448' date='Jun 24 2010, 02:27 PM']Seems to be the in thing to put your gear on your myspace even if you're not endorsed as well.[/quote]

I've noticed that too.I know a few bands who do this that I know for certain have no relationship with any
of the companies,but they think it looks clever. A bunch of people tend to put logos in their signatures on various
forums aswell. I know it's good to show off your gear,but unless I was officially endorsing them I wouldn't put
their logo on my website or anything.

Well I've sent an email to GK to see if they could offer me anything. Though working on the assumption that I'm already using their gear, it doesn't make much sense for them to offer me a discount to keep using it when I already have it.

It is Warwick that offered me the endorsement (the offer is 100% on the table now so I'm happy to give a name). I can honestly say that I've been impressed with their Profet amps in the shops (never tried out one in any other situation) and that the tubepaths look incredibly tasty. So very tempted by one of those into a 411 cab. If I were to go from my current stack into a Profet 5.2 and 411, I'd actually have quite a lot of cash left over (or I could avoid selling my current amp completely maybe or just sell one cab to get a Profet into 411, not sure what I'd do with two amps though). A tubepath 5.1 and 411 would about work out similar (though I'd lose a bit of money comparing the price of buying the GK new to if I bought a Tubepath and 411 from Thomann, not a lot though).

I think taking the relatively small hit on my money would be worth doing to be able to say "We're endorsed by..." whoever, whether it's Warwick or GK or someone else.