Why become a member? ×

G & L tell me about em'

stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='871487' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:38 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150452586567&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]This[/url] SB-1 looks promising.[/quote]

Thats the one that got me started on this G&L thing as I was meandering around P-Basses rather than more Stingrays but then I always end up back there anyway looking at something more like the L1500 or 2000.Note to self must buy something different!

Looking back to thread mentioned earlier - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78214&hl=l2500"]More Stingray/ G&L questions[/url] - I see I said I fancied another L2500back in Feb.... :) oops :rolleyes: .... pulled the trigger on the green fretless that was in the For Sale section for a while back at the end of April so now have twins and I love'em.

The Wal still comes out to play for the prog band but for the rock covers it's one or both of the G&L's all the time now.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871460' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:46 AM']What do the toggles do then anyway?[/quote]

Here's the official "blurb" from G&L
[attachment=52652:ASATbass..._diagram.pdf]

I've had 4 L2500's, (chasing the colour I wanted), and I reckon they are fantastic Basses end of.
I've had US and Tributes and finally settled on a Blueburst/Maple Tribute. after a bit of "fettling" it plays as well as the US one I had.

[quote]I have been warming to P-basses again lately but very few Fenders seem to do it for me so possible route here do you think?[/quote]

As others have said - take a look at the SB1.

I wanted a P-bass to string with roundwounds as an opposite to my '79 P-bass with Pyramid flats and foam. The plan was to get yet another Fender, but after some "research" I realized that what I wanted was an SB-1. It is the natural development of the P-bass. It is what the P-bass would have sounded today if Leo Fender still was in charge of Fender. :) It is the Arnold Schwarzenegger of P-basses.

Warm, punchy with a superhot pickup. For me it was just what the doctor prescribed. It is in all ways the opposite of my P-bass. They both sound like a P-bass (at least in a band setting) but in two very different ways.

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='872974' date='Jun 20 2010, 08:38 PM']I was lucky enough to buy the blue SB2 and it is by far the best bass i have ever played. For a passive bass it sounds huge and powerful and i have since
stopped playing my other far more expensive instruments which says everything really :)[/quote]

David,

stop it! I miss that one probably more than any other bass I ever let go. good to hear you are still playing and enjoying owning the SB-2. and considering the high end boutique pair of basses of yours I played that day your testament re the SB-2 is high praise indeed

hope you're keeping well mate.

Keir

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='873154' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:57 PM']Oh shoot! Look at what I've been and gone and done.

[attachment=52702:G_L_L_1000_front.jpg] [attachment=52703:G_L_L_1000_back.jpg] [attachment=52704:G_L_L_1000_body.jpg] [attachment=52705:G_L_L_1000_haed.jpg]

I've only gone and bought it. :)[/quote]

congrats,that's a beauty!... the one with the fabled OMG setting

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='873176' date='Jun 21 2010, 12:29 AM']congrats,that's a beauty!... the one with the fabled OMG setting[/quote]
Cheers yeah I'm soooo excited :) She's an '81-'82 - fair bit of mojo but not bashed about.

Just praying for a safe journey over the Atlantic now.

Yes +1, That looks well worthy of a purchase. Looking forward to the review once its been played.Is that a passive only model then and the same with SB-2 ? I know you have all told me already but theres a lot to learn here not to mention my head like a seive! I cant imagine going back to a passive only bass after all these years but I do have a much better amp nowadays so I would not rule them out, Just a bit cautious of passive as I have never had a good one myself.

As others have said, the electronics package is excellent. Basically, a G&L is a HH Stingray on the cheap. You don't get the Stingray image & instant recognition, so values are naturally lower, but they are excellent value for money, great sounding basses.

If you're thinking of something like an L2000, make sure you have a look at the Warwick Corvette $$ first. Yes, they're more expensive, but the electronics package is very similar & you get that massive punch from the Warwick.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='871149' date='Jun 18 2010, 09:33 PM']Yeah I've seen the ASATs before but I've never liked the look of them. Even without the humungous dugong-like upper bout that is the current fashion I think single-cutaway basses don't look right.[/quote]

think Telecaster body!

Lovley L1K there Outshined. I'm still kicking myself I didn't stock up when they were going for $500 and it was $2 to the £ :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871460' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:46 AM']What do the toggles do then anyway?[/quote]

Darn! I was all out to send you to [url="http://www.jic.nl/GL2004/TriSonic/TriSonic.htm"]this link[/url] (now defunct) that had a nice interactive flash thing where you could flick the switches and hear the differences in sound.

[quote name='BIG.J' post='871187' date='Jun 18 2010, 09:57 PM']1991 G & L L2000 in excellent condition. Last year of the Made in USA models i think?[/quote]
No, they are still made in the US - it's just that the Tribute range was introduced that are made in the Far East as the "Squier" equivalent - but they are fantastic quality as well - same pickups as the US models. Nice black crinkle bridge on yours!

Edited by RichardH