Why become a member? ×

G & L tell me about em'

stingrayPete1977

Hi I am a Stingray lover and keep coming across G & L and wondering what the views are on them, I have very little GAS at the moment but everyone needs something in the next list dont they? So lets hear the fors and againsts please ............(Without fighting this time me included,lol) :)

I have been warming to P-basses again lately but very few Fenders seem to do it for me so possible route here do you think?

Hi Pete. :rolleyes:

There's not much bad to say about them. They are built well and have a good selection of ballsy active and passive sounds. Contrary to popular belief the usual suspects don't do a 'ray sound (it is physically impossible as the pup position is out and preamp is different) although for some (presumable those that don't actually have 'rays) they seem to be able to capture the essence of the 'ray sound. To me it's a multitude of P sounds.

Say hi to Russ for me. :)

Having had both, and if it's the Stingray sound you're after, then go for the Stingray. You won't get the Stingray tone from a G&L although you can get close. In terms of playability there's nothing between them for me. In terms of tonal possibilities there's no competition, go for the G&L, it can do do way more than the Stingray can, [i]but[/i] you'll never get [i]that[/i] 'ray tone from a G&L.

Superb basses both, although I have had issues with both too.

"Suck it and see" as Tommy said to Pammy.

Its that SB1 on ebay that really got me thinking,Im not realy after another MM sound as I already have an EB and a Pre EB so looking more towards the P-Bass style. I suppose I do like boring looking basses? my pre EB is just a slab of natural wood but I love it. I have had a look at the other thread (Thanks essentialtension) and it looks like most people there are on the ray side including the ones who own both that said that thread is advising on stingray purchase against similar G&L where im thinking G&L's in general and jazz/p-basses in particular.Thanks guys (Russ says Hi back :) )

my L-2000 has the jazz neck option which I like. I didnt ever look for a Ray tone out of any L-2000/Asat I owned. I like them for the P type sounds (passive/series) and also the slap tone with both pickups (active/parallel). they are great at doing a load of different sounds,though the MFD pickups and low tech preamp do give the bass its own character imo

My L-1500 is quite a fierce sounding bass but it does sounds the L-2000 cant. It is closer to a Stingray tonewise with the pickup in the sweetspot but needs a bit of restraint with the treble control. Its not that versatile comparing it to the L2K but I do like the core tone it has. It has the wider neck (1.75" nut) and the older 3 bolt neck plate (6 bolt on the L2K)

I've also owned a pair of Asats(regular and semi hollow),another couple of L-2000s and an SB-2 and they were all excellent.

I like both Musicman and G&L equally. I personally couldnt choose one over the other and its been that way a long time with me. I'll always play both.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='870389' date='Jun 17 2010, 11:48 PM']The L-2000 has excellent electronics. Visually they're pretty uninspiring (unless you like boring-looking basses) and they feel like P basses (which is why I don't have one), but there are so many sounds available, if you liked it you probably wouldn't need another solid-body bass.[/quote]

i agree great electronics on the L2000; but the Asat Bass is very interesting looking - check my avatar for one.
it has same pups and electrics as L2000.
Very versatile and good sounding all-round Fender sounds with plenty of heat in those pups

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='871138' date='Jun 18 2010, 09:22 PM']i agree great electronics on the L2000; but the Asat Bass is very interesting looking - check my avatar for one.
it has same pups and electrics as L2000.
Very versatile and good sounding all-round Fender sounds with plenty of heat in those ups[/quote]

Yeah I've seen the ASATs before but I've never liked the look of them. Even without the humungous dugong-like upper bout that is the current fashion I think single-cutaway basses don't look right.

Well, Being a lover of the Fender Jazz & Precision i was advised to stop waisting my money on $hite and buy a G&L, One came up on Gumtree a while back and i was advised to buy it. I Jumped straight in the car with my Peavey T40 and i did a deal with a cracking bloke and walked away with the 1991 G&L L2000.

I must admit the colour is still growing on me but the feel and sounds are just spot on. I have sold all my other 20+ Yr old Jap Basses including a cracking Squire as i just dont need them anymore.

This is a pic of the exact same model + year etc.

Spec =

1991 G & L L2000 in excellent condition. Last year of the Made in USA models i think?

Colour: Premium Blueburst
Body: Louisiana Swamp Ash
Neck: Maple w/Rosewood Fingerboard
Pickups: 2 x G&L Soapbar
Neck Radius: 12" (22 Fret)

All in all it's just Quality... :)

You lot are not helping at all,I said at the beginning of my post I had no GAS at the moment just getting ideas but I dont think I have seen a G&L I dont like yet from any of you! I love all of those above bar none, That green one would look great next to my teal MM,The blue burst would of been the colour of my next EB or possible 5 string MM,I dont mind the look of the ASAT either you know! My only concerns so far are very minor,1-Dont like the headstock(common complaint it seems even from some owners) and 2- not sure about the toggle switches? But Im sure you agree that neither of those things should stop a future purchase or at least serious test of a few.Funny how these thing find you, I only clicked that SB-1 on ebay and here I am 2 days later trying to learn which one is which and what not! :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L1500-USA-made-solid-ash-case-MINT-/350357077842?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5192e8bf52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L150...=item5192e8bf52[/url]
Whats the thoughts on this one? obviously being a stingray fan has attracted me to this one!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871272' date='Jun 18 2010, 10:45 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L1500-USA-made-solid-ash-case-MINT-/350357077842?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5192e8bf52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L150...=item5192e8bf52[/url]
Whats the thoughts on this one? obviously being a stingray fan has attracted me to this one![/quote]
There was one sold on here the other week for about 500. The L-1500 has a unique tone all of it's own (the 'lectrics are slated even by their biggest fans) and one that should be researched fully before committing to. It does look nice in red though.

Just googled it,That would do. I prefer the older style head and the different pup position just to be different to my MM's but not a big fan of control plates without a pick guard I always think that with jazzes where the control plate has the flat edge with nothing to fit upto, Why dont they do one with a different end so it looks normal other than that I like it.

the problem with the L-1500 active sound is it is either passive or active with treble boost which is the 3rd setting on the L2K/Asats. Its just a bit too harsh sounding with treble full on. rolling back the treble or keeping it passive tames it a lot.
I only ever found this a problem solo'd. Played with a band it sits great

another slightly annoying feature on the L2K/Asat/L1500 there is a fairly noticeable jump output wise going from parallel to series. they are not nearly as well matched as on the Sterling/Stingray 5's

I'm not familiar with older models like the L-1000/El Toro/SB-1 etc so can only describe my experiences with the ones that are still in production now. there are members on here who can tell you about the older models I'm sure

some of the ash bodied ones can be heavy (like stingrays) but all the alder bodies ones I've owned have been 9lb or under. sustain is fantastic on these basses,irrespective of weight.
some G&L's I've owned have had microphonic pickups where theres a ringing sound behind the note played. on advice from those on the now defunct G&L forum at TB I bunged some sponge or foam inside the pickup springs and it solved the problem in each case.
neck wise,G&L's dont have rounded over edges on the fingerboard like stingrays/sterlings afaik. well none of mine did have at any rate though I soon sorted that myself. I always loved that feature on the MM necks but one thing I definetely prefer on the G&Ls is that they dont angle/dress the fret ends as far in as they do on MMs,so less chance of the G slipping off the edge if played hard.
G&L also started Plek'ing their necks a couple of years ago and iirc changed the neck construction from an off centre cut lengthways down the neck to a more regular method of putting the truss rod in.
I prefer the 6 bolt necks to the older 3 bolt ones. If a previous owner has overtightened the neck screws and then mucked about with the micro tilt it can cause problems so if you do get one with the 3 bolt be sure and check that out.
and lastly,imo their finishes are as good as production basses get ... perfectly flat with no sinkage/orange peel look to them . well at any rate I've never seen one that was less than beautifully done
these are just my personal experiences with the 7 USA G&L basses I've owned. I also owned a MIK Tribute L-2000 which with some fettling played as good as the USA ones

I miss all 3 of these btw:

a pair of Asats I used to have.

and my awesome SB-2 which I inexplicably sold earlier this year to a local basschatter. crazy birdseye neck with ebony board and the best passive bass I ever owned bar none

hope this helps some

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871272' date='Jun 18 2010, 10:45 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L1500-USA-made-solid-ash-case-MINT-/350357077842?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5192e8bf52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L150...=item5192e8bf52[/url][/quote]

I'd love that bass, the colour's just fabulous, and it'd look fantastic next to my Forrest Green L2000:

I'm definately a G&L convert. I'd never given them the time of day until I picked this L2000 up, but I'm knocked out by the tones available from this bass, and for me, it's a very comfortable bass to play. Like Big J, mine's a 90's model with the 3 bolt neck. Love it.

Very good knowledge and advice guys keep it coming,I did not know about the edge of the fretboard I will definitley have to try one to see how that feels.The EB has a little bit more fret left to the side of the G string compared to the pre EB but I have not slipped off yet and in a band mix rocking out its not a major problem. I do like the rounded edges though and always prefer playing strats to les pauls for that reason but prefer the les paul looks and sound overall (Sorry guitar talk but relevent I think :) ) What do the toggles do then anyway?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='871272' date='Jun 18 2010, 10:45 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L1500-USA-made-solid-ash-case-MINT-/350357077842?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5192e8bf52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-Bass-guitar-L150...=item5192e8bf52[/url]
Whats the thoughts on this one? obviously being a stingray fan has attracted me to this one![/quote]
When this was first put on ebay (29/05 I think) it was £699, then suddenly went up another £100 - so I reckon there's at least a £100 discount available there.