Why become a member? ×

Does this sound as good bass playing to others as it does to me?

Annoying Twit

Let the arguments about solo bass playing begin :)

If you want my opinion (and it is just my opinion).... Like most things of this ilk it's impressive but dull. I wouldn't want to listen to it twice (or even once all the way through). Give me a good tune you can hum along to any day!!

Now there's a blast from the past!
Obviously, bass has come a long way since then though I have to say I remember this track as much for it's take as a cover of the Beatles original, plus the fact it was one of my first introductions to drummer Simon Phillips.

it sounds like steve hillage !!!!!

i half expected the toothy noodler himself to start singing about fish, or ley lines.

:)

it's not a bad version in as much any re-doing of 'tomorrow never knows' is worthwhile...it's a popular cover, but imho always a bit like doing phillip glass on solo kazoo.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='869190' date='Jun 16 2010, 04:07 PM']That is absolutely fabulous! Bill McCormack on fretless, if I'm not mistaken. Bravo![/quote]
Yes it is Bill MacCormick. I really like that album - [i]801 Live[/i]:

Phil Manzanera (guitars)
Brian Eno (keyboards, synthesizers, guitar, vocals)
Bill MacCormick (bass, vocals)
Francis Monkman (piano, clavinet)
Simon Phillips (drums)
Lloyd Watson (slide-guitar, vocals)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='869005' date='Jun 16 2010, 01:45 PM'][url="http://www.we7.com/#/track/TNK-Tomorrow-Never-Knows--Live-!trackId=822638"]http://www.we7.com/#/track/TNK-Tomorrow-Ne...;trackId=822638[/url]

Sounds udderly brilliant to me.[/quote]

I am with you.

Love, love Brian Eno and actually it's an interesting take on a tune that would otherwise to my mind be un-coverable. I like the production of it as well, the bass is too far out in the mix though for my tastes (but I guess that's the point). Not something in reality I would ever find myself listening to though, it's just not my thing

Almost ran away when the Radio One voice started advertising artists I dont care much of!
STOP advertising this to me!
But I survived and listened...Yeah I hear nothing wrong with this, has groove and ambience. I'd get bored of it after a few listens but it's good background music, not really one for headphone use.