Why become a member? ×

what p bass

colonel matt

Hi,
i wonder if anyone has some advice for me, currently have a tokai hardpuncher (not an 80's one) , but a fairly ok bass, i am however looking to upgrade a bit, have a budget of around £600 ish , i like p basses but would quite like a slightly slimmer neck (more like a jazz) , i have been looking at lakland basses, although have not yet tried one, what does any one think,
Although not a p my eye was somewhat taken by lakland skyline decade (although i guess with import i'd be heading way above budget) . I will probably try a go second hand to get most for my money. look forward to your ideas , regards Matt

[quote name='colonel matt' post='868576' date='Jun 15 2010, 11:10 PM']Hi,
i wonder if anyone has some advice for me, currently have a tokai hardpuncher (not an 80's one) , but a fairly ok bass, i am however looking to upgrade a bit, have a budget of around £600 ish , i like p basses but would quite like a slightly slimmer neck (more like a jazz) , i have been looking at lakland basses, although have not yet tried one, what does any one think,
Although not a p my eye was somewhat taken by lakland skyline decade (although i guess with import i'd be heading way above budget) . I will probably try a go second hand to get most for my money. look forward to your ideas , regards Matt[/quote]

How wide is the Hardpuncher nut?

There was an Aerodyne precision in the "For Sale" section.

Precision Bass, with extra Jazz pickup at the bridge, and a Jazz profile neck - I have one, and I love it......but then I am a little out of touch with the current crop of basses, so I am sure some-one will come up with a more suitable alternative for you.

get my Squier JV Precision, only 500 euros and spare some money for La bella flats or something - it's a very very good Precision bass. it's all USA quality wise. neck aint J Bass like, its typical P, but that's a mean Funk Machine,boy!

Play 'em all... I'm playing a Mexi P that belongs to my guitarist (I'm going to make him sell it to me). It's got a standard wider nut, but the sound is great! Just plain cuts through, consistently. Every note is THERE. Great bass- I don't really mind the width and I don't have very big hands. I'm getting on with it fine, I don't even notice. Playability...

Play them until you find the one that is 'invisible' to your hands.

Edited by Count Bassie

My 80's Tokai Hardpuncher has got quite a slim fast neck.
Though not jazz-like, it is totally opposite to my '62 RI, which makes me work a bit more, but I do like both.

Another option could be an Ibanez Blazer; slimmer, faster & less chunky neck (IMO) than the usual P-Bass.

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='869364' date='Jun 16 2010, 07:43 PM']My 80's Tokai Hardpuncher has got quite a slim fast neck.
Though not jazz-like, it is totally opposite to my '62 RI, which makes me work a bit more, but I do like both.

Another option could be an Ibanez Blazer; slimmer, faster & less chunky neck (IMO) than the usual P-Bass.[/quote]
Might be worth looking at the Fender Duff McKagan Precision - if u don`t mind signature models that is. P-Bass, but with slim profile neck, and J pickup for added versatility. Or, as Arsenic says, the Aerodynes are also good for slim necks - I had the Jazz version, which had the precision split pickup in - nice basses, those Aerodynes.

[quote name='Johnston' post='868709' date='Jun 16 2010, 10:07 AM']The Fender (not squier) Mike Dirnt P The neck is thinner and less chunky than a MIM but thicker than a Jazz. The nut is around 40mm[/quote]
Hear, hear
Wonderful neck. But only if you like thick C profile.

The Japanese 70's RI is also with a 40mm nut.
And a smashing bass at that.

Some of them turn up occasionaly on Ebay (from Japan though) around your budget.

Edited by Audiokostas

Possibly £100 more than you wanted to pay but the extra versatility built in with the rear pup (but you don't need to use it if you don't want to)... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91149&hl=fender+Precision+usa"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...r+Precision+usa[/url]

The neck is a lot more manageable than many P basses that I've tried. :)

For P-bass with Jazz neck you can always go to Aerodynes, or the Mexican (not the American) Deluxe as well as the Mexican painted but American build (or so they claim) Special California series (I saw one available in Glagow in a quite fair price). All of them with P body (P/J pups which I love) and J neck. And very good basses all of them.