Why become a member? ×

SOLD/WITHDRAWN Two Precisions for sale

Beedster

I decided a few monsth back that I would be happy with three Precisions, one each of maple and rosewood boards fretted (rounds on the former and some Deep Talkers on the latter) and one fretless. Having spent the last few months slowly getting the bits together to build these two, and especially in the case of the fretted, having spent quite a lot of time sanding and oiling the stunning grain on the body, I really didn't want to let these go. However, Saturday evening saw Beedster in a state of GAS so painful that something had to give, and it did, to the cost of around £700! Anyway, I now have a beautiful '75 Precision/maple board to go with my equally beautiful '73 Precision with Rosewood board (first pic). I also have a 74/77 fretless Precision on the way so I need to get some money to pay for it all.

[attachment=3773:Precisions.JPG]
These are NOT for sale!

The Modulus is still for sale on the other thread, and below are the two Precisions for sale

[attachment=3764:Prec1.JPG]

First up an unlined fretless, rosewood board, SD SPB2 hot PUP at the neck and SD hot J-PUP at the bridge (I'll find out exactly which model J-PUP when I take another look tonight). Badass II. Wired vol/vol at present but booked in to have stacked vol/tone for each PUP later this week. Currently strung with some very sexy D'Addarrio flats. Great classic upright to Motown tones at the neck with some good growly/funky and solo tones at the bridge. I have NO IDEA what the body is but it is extremely light, making the bass extremely easy to play for extended periods. The neck is also a bit of an unknown quantity - I bought it from Garbev a few months back. It is however a jazz profile, very fast and beautiful to the eye. I don't want to try and compare this bass to an MIA/MIJ/MIM as I haven't played any fretless Precisions other than this. However, it cost close to £300 to put together which perhaps suggests an approx standing in relation to the basses on the market. No hard case I'm afraid.

£250 (£200 with stock Fender bridge)

[attachment=3767:Prec4.JPG][attachment=3772:Prec9.JPG]
Looks good with the Modulus....

Second up what was until recently my pride and joy. A lovely ash body from ESP and a Mighty Mite (Licensed by Fender etc) Precision neck, and I mean A PROPER PRECISION NECK. The real deal, big, fat, and solid. Brand spanking new SD SPB3 quarter-pounder and, as the observant among you may have noticed, it's wired straight to the output jack, all part of my back to basics approach (1 PUP no controls). I will provide all the necessary electrics with the bass however. Stonking great BADASS bridge which adds huge weight to the tone. Currently strung with some DR fatbeam rounds, in combination with the BADASS and the SD this bass does everything from deep down motown through growly funk to some pretty good slap. I'd say this bass is easily the equal of most modern MIA's I've played (probably not quite as good as a few MIJs though).

Pickguard is not screwed down as present hence the oddness of the pics.

£350 (£300 with stock Fender bridge)

[attachment=3766:Prec3.JPG][attachment=3768:Prec5.JPG][attachment=3769:Prec6.JPG][attachment=3770:Pr
ec7.JPG][attachment=3771:Prec8.JPG]

I have a few Fender bridges lying around so I'd be happy to take of the BADASSes, put on a Fender and reduce the price by £25 per bass should you prefer. Re tryouts, the best I can offer is a trip to Canterbury and a session in the local rehearsal studio through my TE/H&K rig, which, as it would cost me, I'm only realy happy to do if you're DEADLY serious :) .

Cheers
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Magnolia' post='94578' date='Nov 26 2007, 03:03 PM']If only the maple f/b neck was on the Black body. I'd be seriously interested in it then!

Any chance you could swap them over? :)

Nick[/quote]

Hi Nick
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I think the maple neck/ash body is too good a combination to split in terms of sound and aesthetics. The pocket/heel fit is also well nigh perfect on both basses as is, and I have no doubt that the fretless works better with a J-PUP at the bridge.
Straight up, if I felt they'df have been better basses the other way around, I would have built them that way around :huh: Sorry I couldn't be more helpful
Chris

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='94670' date='Nov 26 2007, 06:02 PM']So your telling us you've picked up a mid 70's P bass for £700? More details if you please and you know it isn't real if there is no photographic evidence :)[/quote]

Picture at the top John, next to my '73 rosewood
Chris

Several PM's about these basses. I don't have a lot of time this evening so rather than reply to all individually, I'll do it this way. Apologies of that's a bit crap:

1. neither has a case and on that basis I'd rather deliver/meet than post. I am heading up north(ish) this weekend, so if anyone did want to buy I'd be happy to meet en route (Notts is probably as far up as I'm likely to go, that's a long way north from Canterbury, trust me). Same goes for the Modulus Flea of course.

2. As I suggested above, I won't swap necks, I spent a lot of time getting the neck pocket on the maple/ash just right and suspect that, even if I would consider the swap, the fretless neck might not be such a good fit on the ash body. At the price we're talking for this bass, another £100, or possibly less, would get you an SD or Wizard J-PUP installed at the bridge, giving you one mean MF of a bass for still under £450 (I was going to do this and, if it doesn't sell, still might :) ).

3. I know it's a pain but I will only book one rehearsal room slot down here. If you want to come down and try either the precisions or the Modulus loud, it would have to be that day (clearly I can't keep forking out £30 everytime someone wants to try a bass out, sorry). Alternatively, you can play at low level through my rig at home (which I think was OK for Pete Y. when he came down last weekend).

4. Yes, being naff I put a Fender logo on the fretless neck. The fretted neck came with it already in place.

5. I have no idea of what wood the fretless body is from. It is suspiciously light, and when I opened the package it arrived in (it was a used body from ebay) I thought "sh*t, this is going to sound crap". However, it is surprisngly resonant whatever it is. Upside is, if you play a lot of fretless on stage, this is going to save your back big time.

Hope that answers the questions folks
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='95209' date='Nov 27 2007, 05:49 PM']Personally Chris I'd sell the two ropey looking ones :)

Peter[/quote]

Funny thing that, a few other people have said the same thing. In fact, I was just offered £500 for the pair, but they're so old and knackered looking it seemed unfair on the buyer, so I declined! Anyway, if I sold the two crap looking old ones, the other crap looking old '74 sunburst fretless I've got arriving later this week would look a bit odd amongst all the new ones wouldn't it :huh:

[quote name='Beedster' post='95206' date='Nov 27 2007, 05:44 PM']3. I know it's a pain but I will only book one rehearsal room slot down here. If you want to come down and try either the precisions or the Modulus loud, it would have to be that day (clearly I can't keep forking out £30 everytime someone wants to try a bass out, sorry). Alternatively, you can play at low level through my rig at home (which I think was OK for Pete Y. when he came down last weekend).[/quote]

Yes, that worked fine for me. It was a great pleasure to meet you Chris.

[quote name='pete.young' post='95226' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:09 PM']Yes, that worked fine for me. It was a great pleasure to meet you Chris.[/quote]

Thanks Pete, and you also. Your rendition of the theme from Captain Pugwash was one of the musical highlights of the year without doubt. After you left, Sarah said "you should have asked him to play it on the fretless", and on reflection, that would have been interesting :)
Hope the Bass Collection is working out for you. You made it sound a whole lot better than I ever did :huh:
Chris

Right, I'm going to bump these a while and then, if I get no interest, I'll withdraw them - I played both last night and they're both bloody lovely. Certainly I need the cash, but I'm starting to think I should probably sell the girlfriend and keep the basses :)
Chris

[quote name='Shaggy' post='95489' date='Nov 28 2007, 09:27 AM']That 3TS maple-neck is absolutely stunning - nice one Chris![/quote]

Cheers mate, I've got a fretless neck that's going on the '73 PJ body and the rosewood neck currently on that bass is going on a '74 sunburst body. I'll finally have my sunburst Precision dream team, fretless PJ, big thumpy rosewood board with flats, and growly maple board with rounds :huh:
Chris

Edit: PLEASE, NO MORE PMs ON THESE BASSES UNLESS IT'S ABOUT A SPECIFIC OFFER THAT YOU DON'T WANT MADE PUBLIC. IF IT'S TECHNICAL OR SIMILAR, PLEASE ASK IT HERE. I'M GETTING A LOT OF PMs ABOUT SIMPLE TECH THINGS THAT ARE EITHER ADDRESSED ABOVE OR WHICH I COULD EASILY ANSWER IN THIS THREAD. REPLYING TO EACH INDIVIDUALLY IS VERY TIME-CONSUMING :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='95231' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:13 PM']Thanks Pete, and you also. Your rendition of the theme from Captain Pugwash was one of the musical highlights of the year without doubt. After you left, Sarah said "you should have asked him to play it on the fretless", and on reflection, that would have been interesting :)[/quote]

Piece of cake, as long as you dont want the chord accompaniment as well!

[quote]Hope the Bass Collection is working out for you. You made it sound a whole lot better than I ever did :huh:
Chris[/quote]

Aw shucks, that's very kind. The more I play it, the more I love it. I took it to rehearsal last night and the rest of the band were happy with the sound it makes. One or two intonation problems to sort on some of the more bizarre keys (Stay, in Db), but that's it. When I picked up my Precision it felt huge and unwieldy in comparison.

There is one other problem: I like it so much, I need to find a fretted one so that I've got a pair.

Hurry up basschatters and make Chris a really good offer on the ash bodied P, before he changes his mind! It's lovely.

[quote name='pete.young' post='95767' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:19 PM']Piece of cake, as long as you dont want the chord accompaniment as well!

Aw shucks, that's very kind. The more I play it, the more I love it. I took it to rehearsal last night and the rest of the band were happy with the sound it makes. One or two intonation problems to sort on some of the more bizarre keys (Stay, in Db), but that's it. When I picked up my Precision it felt huge and unwieldy in comparison.

There is one other problem: I like it so much, I need to find a fretted one so that I've got a pair.

Hurry up basschatters and make Chris a really good offer on the ash bodied P, before he changes his mind! It's lovely.[/quote]

Cheers Pete, yes I reckon a fretted to go with the fretless is a good idea, they are great basses, and I think if you moved between the two it would help intonation on the fretless. As I said on Sunday, I had real problems moving from the Precisons to the Bass Collection - all the notes were in the wrong place on the latter :)

Ash/maple Precison on hold pending the usual.
Fretless still available but having played it again last night I'm thinking I might keep it unless I get an offer quickly?
Cheers
Chris