Why become a member? ×

Lending Gear at gigs

urbanx

I found my trace ah400smx once back on stage being used running a line out (no speakers connected!?!) into some powered 12" monitor thing, they knew it was mine and had helped themselves without asking, and to add insult had done crazy eq settings and couldn't work out how to get it off mute mode anyway?!!?

I went nuts.

Then they claimed I'd broken theirs?????

I went nuts again.
:)

Have to admit, I am starting to find this a bit of a catch 22..............

One of the bands I am in, after taking a bit of time out for recording, and writing new material, is ready to get back out there on the gig circuit. All three of us have been working hard trying to get a gig, and finally I got a gig offer..... 4-5 band bill, us to headline.....but we have to provide backline, especially the drum kit, other bands to provide amps and breakables. Problem is, our drummers DW kit cost an obscene amount of money, and he definately, and quite rightly won't let anyone else use it. I emailed the chap to ask if there is any way around the drum kit, and the trail has gone dry.........

Although, at a push, I don't mind lending my cab out, I still feel nervous of that idea. At the end of the day, it's an Ampeg 610, and if some knob manages to blow all the speakers in it, that's a fair amount of money.

So, all in all, looks like either lend others your kit, or don't get gigs :)

I'm not a complete git over my gear. One gig springs to mind where the promoter told the band on before us that they could use our amps, without asking us first! The bass player came over, appologised, and asked nicely. Seemed like a nice kid, so I said yes, but warned him that I would be keeping an eye on him......Came his time to play, and no sound! Battery in his bass was flat, so I wound up lending him my back up bass as well :lol:

Any advice on how to get gigs, without keep running into this problem greatly recieved chaps :)

[quote name='TransistorBassMan' post='985972' date='Oct 12 2010, 05:43 PM']A few random thoughts....

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I've been musician, a sound engineer and a promoter and I can see validity in a lot of the points being made. I suppose you should do what you feel is right for you and sod what anyone else thinks!

I usually say yes when someone asks to borrow my amp. But if they don't respect me or my equipment then I'll turn it off!

Thinking about it, my experience at my first gig as a bassist had led to me being quite relaxed about lending gear. I turned up with a Westone Thunder 1A and an 100W Alligator combo. The bass player of the headline band (still) is my favourite bassist and before the soundcheck she offered me the use of her Stingray and her Dynacord rig as it would make life easier for the soundman (I was the soundman :lol: ) I said no to the Stingray, but yes to the Dynacord. It sounded awesome :) Lou Howard (Red Guitars/The Planet Wilson) you're a star!!!

The only thing I've ever had damaged was a Fender guitar combo that one of the guitarists in my band was using!! Fortunately I'd lent the support band my bass amp, so they were happy to lend us an amp to finish our set.

I can get away with never lending my basses or guitars because I don't play in standard tuning and I'm not retuning them for anyone. Having said that, when Rrussell Bell (Gary Numan's guitarist 79-89) was due to guest with my Numan covers band, my back-up Telecaster was re-strung and retuned in the dressing room after the soundcheck :) Nobody ever asks to borrow my synths :)

Like I said earlier, do what you feel is right for you and sod what anyone else thinks[/quote]

You know Lou Howard? I used to share a house with her brother!

Not much one for lending gear after some of the stories I've seen on here, but still would be preferable to the alternative at the gig this Saturday...six bands and all their gear in a room we've played before that was barely able to hold three bands and their gear :) We're playing with the same other bands on Halloween, so I might see if any of them fancy lending one gig and borrowing the next...

To the OP:

Total up how much your gear would cost to replace, divide that by the amount of bass players wanting to gig it on the night. Ask each bass player for that amount in advance as a refundable deposit, if they don't agree then they bring their own amp, simple as that.

If your amp is ok at the end of the night then refund each bassist their deposit. If not keep the lot and buy new kit, let them squabble amongst themselves as to who broke it.

This really isn't your responsibility, you've been burned before and paid the price. If a promoter won't let you gig unless you wipe the @rse of every travelling bassist who can't be bothered to actually bring their own equipment then find somewhere else to gig.

That's what i'd do!

I`ve found that most gigs I`ve played, if people have asked to use anything its generally been the cab, not the amp. And usually its a "can I use yr cab as well as mine" question, so that they get a huge stack. But as my cab is 4 ohms, and most people asking this of me have amps that power 2 x 8 ohm cabs, they can`t borrow it anyway, as not compatible. Sorted.

However, I`m not comfortable lending any gear out, in the same way that I`m not comfortable using anyone elses gear. I know venues/promoters ask this, as changeovers can take a bit of time, but thats something that said venue/promoter can address. At the end of each bands set, they can simply monitor the stage and tell people "if yr not in the band get off stage and out of the way". They seem however, to like dumping the responsibility on the bands lending gear to make this part easier though.

I do quite a lot of gigs where we'll share equipment. My band always take everything, but they're never keen for me to set my kit up. Obviously I end up using the sh*tty house kit with dented skins....

But it's never discussed what happens if I put a drum skin through. I've done it before on my own kit, but there's no way i'd pay to replace some pock marked POS on a house kit in a sh*t venue we're playing for free. I wonder where I stand?!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='986653' date='Oct 13 2010, 09:58 AM']I do quite a lot of gigs where we'll share equipment. My band always take everything, but they're never keen for me to set my kit up. Obviously I end up using the sh*tty house kit with dented skins....

But it's never discussed what happens if I put a drum skin through. I've done it before on my own kit, but there's no way i'd pay to replace some pock marked POS on a house kit in a sh*t venue we're playing for free. I wonder where I stand?![/quote]

Don't know..but most drummers I play with are really picky tuning the skins and would throw away what looks decent enough stuff rather than play it.
The more I read of this thread..the more I don't understand why people put up with all .

It seems to me that none of the bands have much control over things, and hardly get paid..if at all. I'd be looking at the people numbers and seeing what sort of money goes over the bar and on the door..and I'd be wondering where it goes...'cos not much seems to end up the entertainment' way..????????

[quote name='oksocialbass' post='859763' date='Jun 7 2010, 12:39 PM']Would you go golfing expecting to borrow clubs when you got there?

To work expecting to borrow a shirt, tie and tousers?

Don't lend it. If they want to call you and ar*e - let them, if everyone wants to think you're a tw@t - let them, at the end of the day, you're the one who can play the gig - not them.

I never let people use my stuff and if they ask me, I ask for £600 to hire it per hour - that goes for the venue and bands. I'm hated amongst most of the bands in our scene/area because of this and it actually makes me feel quite good to be honest - at least I don't do something I don't want to - plus all of those bands are a bunch of hippies/scenesters in my opinion, and i'm sticking it to 'em...[/quote]
+1
Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind - hmm, potential title for a song that!!