Why become a member? ×

Playing bass wearing black silk gloves - for BETTER TONE

xilddx

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='856315' date='Jun 3 2010, 05:25 PM']Your Command is my Wish, O Master:

Exhibit A - The Glove:

Exhibit B - Me hacking through "Politician" Once 'round the block with the glove & once without... You decide.[/quote]

Thank you sir! I had in mind a rather thinner glove than your gardening mit, but you've made a pretty good fist (sorry!) of it! Was it any harder to play? It sounded like you took a few bars to get used to the different feel but towards the end you were flying!

p.s. I loooove your sig!

Edited by mart

[quote name='silddx' post='856453' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:37 PM']What's wrong with being a poser, mate? We're in the entertainment industry right? What's wrong with dressing up on stage and giving the audience a show?

What do you wear on stage then?[/quote]

I didn't actually say that there was anything wrong with being a poser! I'm all for it as far as performers go.

Me on stage? I’m the sad git that doesn’t even play live, but if I did I’d be very dull and boring as I don’t have any extroversion at all. I would change quite a few of my traits if I could.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='856315' date='Jun 3 2010, 05:25 PM']Your Command is my Wish, O Master:

Exhibit A - The Glove:

Exhibit B - Me hacking through "Politician" Once 'round the block with the glove & once without... You decide.[/quote]
First is the Glove?

[quote name='Golchen' post='856885' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:51 AM']I didn't actually say that there was anything wrong with being a poser! I'm all for it as far as performers go.

Me on stage? I’m the sad git that doesn’t even play live, but if I did I’d be very dull and boring as I don’t have any extroversion at all. I would change quite a few of my traits if I could.[/quote]
Oh ok. it sounded like you were using the word poser in a pejorative way.

Get on stage, man! It's an amazing feeling!

[quote name='mart' post='856876' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:34 AM']Thank you sir! I had in mind a rather thinner glove than your gardening mit, but you've made a pretty good fist (sorry!) of it! Was it any harder to play? It sounded like you took a few bars to get used to the different feel but towards the end you were flying!

p.s. I loooove your sig![/quote]

Don't apologise... Bad Puns 'R' Us

Apart from some woolly mitts & 1/2 a pair of Marigolds, they're the only gloves I own :) I was pleasantly surprised at how little the glove interfered with the intonation, different story if I'd worn one on my right hand I'll bet. I'll have to experiment some more just in case I land an outdoor Jump Blues gig in the depths of winter!

[quote name='silddx' post='856933' date='Jun 4 2010, 10:24 AM']First is the Glove?[/quote]

1st = ungloved. 2nd = gloved.

[quote name='Golchen' post='856885' date='Jun 4 2010, 09:51 AM']Me on stage? I’m the sad git that doesn’t even play live, but if I did I’d be very dull and boring as I don’t have any extroversion at all. I would change quite a few of my traits if I could.[/quote]

Find a local Jam night & get yer finger out man! Once you're over the initial blind terror it's probably the best fun you can have with your clothes on :rolleyes:

Pete.

[quote name='MythSte' post='856450' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:35 PM']Hmm, Gloves or elixirs... Gloves or elixirs...

:)

If that recordings with gloves though I'll be seriously impressed.[/quote]

Neither. Get your hands Nanoweb coated. I'm sure they'd do it for you!

Edited a few minutes later- Frivolous joke gives way to serious idea. Anyone tried the tight-fitting latex gloves (like the ones they sell for mechanics etc.)? I might give some a go if I can find some...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='857530' date='Jun 4 2010, 06:19 PM']Neither. Get your hands Nanoweb coated. I'm sure they'd do it for you!

Edited a few minutes later- Frivolous joke gives way to serious idea. Anyone tried the tight-fitting latex gloves (like the ones they sell for mechanics etc.)? I might give some a go if I can find some...[/quote]
They would rip and stick like glue mate.

The silk works perfectly.

[quote name='Paul S' post='857491' date='Jun 4 2010, 05:30 PM'][quote]silddx @ Jun 2 2010, 10:34 PM) *
....play very fast riffs with total accuracy.[/quote]

Hell, I gonna get me some if that happens.
[/quote]

Erm, maybe I should have said

....play very fast riffs with the same lack of accuracy as without gloves :)

[quote name='silddx' post='857541' date='Jun 4 2010, 06:30 PM']They would rip and stick like glue mate.

The silk works perfectly.[/quote]

Actually, they worked a treat (I suppose) kept all the sweat inside, which wasn't too bad as they've all got a light dusting of talc inside.
Rounded the tone out a bit. No real loss of feel except it felt more like playing flats rather than rounds.
Big plus- Absolutely eliminates string noise (high frequency squeaks) and really helps with damping. I certainly wouldn't describe my fretting hand technique as noisy, but you certainly miss it when it's gone...

They'll only last one session, though, and you look like you're just about to give someone an internal exam, too... :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='861423' date='Jun 8 2010, 08:24 PM']Actually, they worked a treat (I suppose) kept all the sweat inside, which wasn't too bad as they've all got a light dusting of talc inside.
Rounded the tone out a bit. No real loss of feel except it felt more like playing flats rather than rounds.
Big plus- Absolutely eliminates string noise (high frequency squeaks) and really helps with damping. I certainly wouldn't describe my fretting hand technique as noisy, but you certainly miss it when it's gone...

They'll only last one session, though, and you look like you're just about to give someone an internal exam, too... :)[/quote]
Cool! I thought you meant the disposable latex ones the rip really easily.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='861423' date='Jun 8 2010, 08:24 PM']Actually, they worked a treat (I suppose) kept all the sweat inside, which wasn't too bad as they've all got a light dusting of talc inside.

They'll only last one session, though, and you look like you're just about to give someone an internal exam, too... :)[/quote]
Might be worth noting that hot sweaty hands and extended periods in talc'd latex gloves, is a short road to latex allergy - trust me, I'm a nurse. With occupational latex allergy brought on by extended periods in talc'd latex gloves.

What happened to wiping your hands and strings on a towel?

Edited by johnnylager

I gotta say I'm also intrigued by this, Since I've been playing here in China in 35-degree heat my hands have been sweaty messes and something to stop me going through a set of strings every week would be luvverley..... But how do they actually keep the sweat in? And do they need washing every gig to stop them from stinking? And can I get some in pink with animal-print cuffs and diamonte's on?....

[quote name='johnnylager' post='861575' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:18 PM']Might be worth noting that hot sweaty hands and extended periods in talc'd latex gloves, is a short road to latex allergy - trust me, I'm a nurse. With occupational latex allergy brought on by extended periods in talc'd latex gloves.[/quote]
Use the nitrile gloves. :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='861575' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:18 PM']Might be worth noting that hot sweaty hands and extended periods in talc'd latex gloves, is a short road to latex allergy - trust me, I'm a nurse. With occupational latex allergy brought on by extended periods in talc'd latex gloves.

What happened to wiping your hands and strings on a towel?[/quote]

My issue isn't so much the acidity (as far as I know) so much as the [i]quantity[/i] of sweat that my hands produce!
I DO have a golfclub towel that I hang on the side of my rig - but I need to dry my hands between each song!
They might be good in a studio - because of the string noise reduction and damping improvements - as it's quite a critical environment.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of a pretty intense week of rehearsals and gigs with three bands. I have been wearing the gloves in rehearsals.

They are great to play with and I feel totally comfortable playing while wearing them. My fingers glide over the strings and I forget I am wearing them. They offer a real advantage to me in terms of consistency.

It's important to get the right fit and luckily I did first time. They don't get loose or saggy even after three hours of intense playing.

At the moment, I can't see myself playing without them again.

Gloves! I couldn't. 'Mad Jock' who sits a few rows behind me at Brentford might turn up at a gig.

Whenever he sees an opposing player with gloves on it's usually like this.....

"Hey you with the gloves. Yer big ****ing ****. Yeah you. Get those gloves off. It's a mans game yer big **** ******* yer nay doing yer ******* mam's washing up yer *****. Yeah and you as well yer *****" etc.

For that reason Nigel. I'm out.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='913857' date='Aug 3 2010, 01:48 PM']Gloves! I couldn't. 'Mad Jock' who sits a few rows behind me at Brentford might turn up at a gig.

Whenever he sees an opposing player with gloves on it's usually like this.....

"Hey you with the gloves. Yer big ****ing ****. Yeah you. Get those gloves off. It's a mans game yer big **** ******* yer nay doing yer ******* mam's washing up yer *****. Yeah and you as well yer *****" etc.

For that reason Nigel. I'm out.[/quote]
Yeah yeah yeah right. He sounds like a real MAN.

26 years ago he would have been shouting [i]"Hey you with the underpants. Yer big ****ing ****. Yeah you. Get those underpants off. It's a mans game yer big **** ******* yer nay doing yer ******* mam's washing up yer *****. Yeah and you as well yer *****" etc.[/i]

You know what it's like in those scots prisons.