Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Fender Jap 70RI Precision or MIA Standard Precision

Linus27

I had pretty much made up my mind to try and get a Fender Japan 70RI Precision in olympic white. However, today I read some really good comments by fellow basschatters (Clarky and Old Horse Murphy) regarding the MIA standard Precision and wondering what others have thought about them.

Better to go Japanese or save some more and go American? The good thing about the MIA model is its available now where as the Japanese model would only be available when someone sells one on here.

Cheers for any advice.

Both are excellent basses. Actually the MIM Standard has really raised it's game lately too so I wouldn't completely rule those out either. Granted it's not in the USA's league but it isn't £300 less good either as the price suggests. And I never thought I'd be raving about MIM standards either!

I`ve got a 08 sunburst US P and after sticking on a set of Marcus Miller fatbeams as recomended by OTPJ it`s now my number one go to bass. The build quality is spot on and it is so light and easy to throw around. And the sound aint too bad either!! I let it go once and almost let it go again but it`s staying put.

Jez

Having owned a 62 RI MIJ P Bass, which was great, I can honestly say the new American Standards are worth the extra. I do like the MIJ/CIJ basses a lot, but I still think they lack a little something.

The case is worth at least £100. My old drummer came up the other day and looked at my music room, and was really impressed with the new Fender cases.

Other than that, the pickups seem to be beefier, punchier, etc. You now get a quality bridge, rolled fingerboards, lighter tuners, great colours and great tort plates.

You can pickup a new American Standard in Oly white for around £829 is you look around. Just make sure you give it the once over if you do go down this route.

My bass Sid is a 70RI CIJ P bass. These are seriously good basses with easy, slick playing necks (mid profile, not big and chunky, leastways mine's not). Nevertheless, if it weren't for sentiment value and the fact Sid serves a purpose (for use in skankier venues where I don't worry so much about a cheaper bass being damaged/nicked) I would choose an MIA Precision over Sid no question. The quality of the new 2009/10 MIA Precisions is noticeably higher (heavy duty bridge, lighter tuners, more stable neck due to graphite rods) plus they come with a hard case. Really depends on your budget. If you want to spend £400-450, go used 70RI; if you want £650+ go used MIA would be my advice.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='853013' date='May 31 2010, 09:43 PM']Having owned an American Standard Precision, I'd say it's a lovely bass (if you like Precisions), but the 62AV model I had with the nitro cellulose finish was something else. Pure tone machine. Wait for one of those to come up.

What happened to the fretless, Michael? :)[/quote]

Hey Rich, I'm going to stick with my Squire for now and go for a Precision instead. If a CIJ 62 RI fretless in the Jaco colours turns up then great, it can replace my Squire but until then, I'll stick with the Squire which is awsome as it is.

[quote name='Clarky' post='853082' date='May 31 2010, 10:45 PM']My bass Sid is a 70RI CIJ P bass. These are seriously good basses with easy, slick playing necks (mid profile, not big and chunky, leastways mine's not). Nevertheless, if it weren't for sentiment value and the fact Sid serves a purpose (for use in skankier venues where I don't worry so much about a cheaper bass being damaged/nicked) I would choose an MIA Precision over Sid no question. The quality of the new 2009/10 MIA Precisions is noticeably higher (heavy duty bridge, lighter tuners, more stable neck due to graphite rods) plus they come with a hard case. Really depends on your budget. If you want to spend £400-450, go used 70RI; if you want £650+ go used MIA would be my advice.[/quote]

+1...makes perfect sense. I'd still like one for a bass I don't have to 'worry' about as much. They are very good for the money and look the part.

As you can see I'm also a proud owner of a CIJ 70's RI.

I never played an american standard, so I can't compare.

My experience is that this bass effortlessly keeps up with two distorted guitars in a rock band. That can not be said of my Marcus Miller sig.
However, the sound soloed is a bit boxy.
But I don't know if that is typical for P's (I never played another P).

Also a very large pre: a white P with black PG and rosewood neck works great on photoshoots!! Striking impact! Girls all over!! (...wakes up...)

I do not (yet) have any USA fenders

But I regularly gig a 2009 MIM P bass, and have recently brought a CIJ 62RI P bass

As someone else said above the MIM keeps up and cuts through the bands I play with and sounds really great (no mods)

I do however have a very good amp though

Anyway, there are obviously benefits to higher end basses, but for what I do a MIM is more than good enough

However that does not stop me owning a decent RIC, and I couldn't say I wouldn't buy a MIA tomorrow!

I'm adding a big +1 with Clarky on this one.

I owned Clarky's fabled 'Sid' 70ri P for a while and after a complete electronics change it was better but not the same as my USA P's.
My thoughts are if you splash out on a CIJ/MIJ bass, then over time upgrade the electronics and buy a case at some point then you're either at the same price point, or beyond, a USA model.

Regards,
JTB

[quote name='jonthebass' post='854061' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:19 PM']I'm adding a big +1 with Clarky on this one.

I owned Clarky's fabled 'Sid' 70ri P for a while and after a complete electronics change it was better but not the same as my USA P's.
My thoughts are if you splash out on a CIJ/MIJ bass, then over time upgrade the electronics and buy a case at some point then you're either at the same price point, or beyond, a USA model.

Regards,
JTB[/quote]

So you are saying that the US P has better pickups than the CIJ 70RI which have the Vintage US pickups?????

Jon may have upgraded the pots etc, I can't remember. I originally got Sid from a Japanese eBayer and immediately swapped the p/u for a SD Quarter Pounder (cretin that I was, I didn't realise they it was wearing a US vintage p/u and I sold it for peanuts on BC as a "Japanese Fender p/u" - not the first time I've sold myself short on this site!) Jon then swapped for a Wizard Stealth Area 51.

The main differences to my mind are the ones I mentioned in my post - oh and by the way, its bl**dy annoying tweaking the truss rod on a 70RI as you have to take the neck off.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='854087' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:47 PM']I have seen the new US p go for around £600-650 on here and at that price, it`s a nae brainer!!

Jez[/quote]

Yeah I missed out on one by one evening :) Just have to wait for one to turn up now.

Just to add to my previous post, I have not managed to get the action as low on Sid as I did on the infintely easier-to-adjust 2009/10 MIA Precisions. On the latter you can tweak the truss rod small amounts until its just right. With Sid and 70RIs in general if the action is not right, off comes the neck, tweak of truss rod, put neck back on, leave for a day or so to settle ... and if its not right its so frustrating. I stripped the bolt holes in the neck in another 70RI I once owned due to repeated truss rod tweaking and ended up stuffing the holes with toothpicks - not ideal.

DOn't want to labour this too much, as once the action is sorted (and if you are lucky it may be perfect when you take ownership) these are lovely basses. The newer MIA ones though are simply superior IMHO

[quote name='Clarky' post='854102' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:54 PM']Just to add to my previous post, I have not managed to get the action as low on Sid as I did on the infintely easier-to-adjust 2009/10 MIA Precisions. On the latter you can tweak the truss rod small amounts until its just right. With Sid and 70RIs in general if the action is not right, off comes the neck, tweak of truss rod, put neck back on, leave for a day or so to settle ... and if its not right its so frustrating. I stripped the bolt holes in the neck in another 70RI I once owned due to repeated truss rod tweaking and ended up stuffing the holes with toothpicks - not ideal.

DOn't want to labour this too much, as once the action is sorted (and if you are lucky it may be perfect when you take ownership) these are lovely basses. The newer MIA ones though are simply superior IMHO[/quote]

Thanks Clarky. Has been helpful info. Makes me even more angry I missed Old Horse Murphy's one. £650 would had been perfect but I was still deciding upon a fretless or a Precision. Oh well, my own fault.

[quote name='Linus27' post='854127' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:13 PM']Thanks Clarky. Has been helpful info. Makes me even more angry I missed Old Horse Murphy's one. £650 would had been perfect but I was still deciding upon a fretless or a Precision. Oh well, my own fault.[/quote]
That was originally mine! Sold to Deaver (IIRC as I wanted a beater bass and the MIA seemed too nice) and then on to OHM. Sorry to rub it in but it is/was a lovely bass and a shame that you were mid-decision at the time it came up. Why not try an Items Wanted post?

[quote name='Linus27' post='854092' date='Jun 1 2010, 08:50 PM']Yeah I missed out on one by one evening :) Just have to wait for one to turn up now.[/quote]

Ah don`t worry about that. I`m bound to change my mind and want to punt mine again shortly. Or with all of Clarky`s MIA P bass love, he`s bound to buy one and then you just hang about for a few weeks then it`ll be up for sale to pay for another GAS purchase!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='854158' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:25 PM']Ah don`t worry about that. I`m bound to change my mind and want to punt mine again shortly. Or with all of Clarky`s MIA P bass love, he`s bound to buy one and then you just hang about for a few weeks then it`ll be up for sale to pay for another GAS purchase!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Jez[/quote]

HAHAHA. Well, if you do decide, I have £650 waiting here for it when you are ready :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='854271' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:40 PM']I can guarantee that if you get a good 08-10 Precision, you will be very happy. I was so happy with mine I went and got another.[/quote]

Damn this GAS is killing me. The only thing I really don't like about the MIA model compared to the CIJ is the logo on the headstock. I love the long Precision bass text on the CIJ one compared to the tiny little Precision bass text on the MIA model.