Why become a member? ×

Sterling Ray34

WHUFC BASS

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='849699' date='May 27 2010, 07:22 PM']Also, look where the nut is positioned on mine in comparison to the OP's bass - His nut is almost 10mm further down the neck.[/quote]
Hmmm yes that is a bit [s]worrying[/s] odd - not much consistency there.

Interesting thread.
As some know my Ray34 is my only bass and other than a few tweaks over the first week or so ive not had any problems with it (ok, i changed the pup).
Ive not played a SR4 for more than a few mins in a shop so never worried about the nut height but have always thought mine was a bit high.
I dont see/hear it causing any problems, but i was surprised at how high the strings sit. And i have noticed that a .105 E string sort of clicks in to the slot.

I guess its just a cheap mass produced nut.

My action on the E string is around 2.5mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of string, the G is 2mm and it plays well so i dont think i have a problem.

So now ill go and bugger it up lol.

Personally if i was the OP i would let them sort it out of get a full refund. Ill check mine wheni get home, just for comparison.

Being also in London i feel i should offer to help but my knowledge is limited. Im fine with setting a bass up as long as there are no other issues.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='850122' date='May 28 2010, 10:10 AM']Send it back, personally I agree with OTPJ as that nut doesn't look right. Ask for another or a refund.[/quote]

Yeah, this would probably go beyond just a £40 set up IMO.

Ill get some measurements off mine tonight and post them for reference.

Edited by dave_bass5

But this could all be cleared up in 10 minutes. :)
Dave you said your nut is high too... and you've had no issues with it. Maybe it's just how these are.

If we could find out a bit more than "it buzzes" then we can at least eliminate that all it needs is a TR tweak.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='850142' date='May 28 2010, 10:22 AM']But this could all be cleared up in 10 minutes. :)
Dave you said your nut is high too... and you've had no issues with it. Maybe it's just how these are.

If we could find out a bit more than "it buzzes" then we can at least eliminate that all it needs is a TR tweak.[/quote]

Yeah, mine fine. I was thinking more about what OTPJ said about the nut sitting in the wrong place. If this is the case then it could be a bit more work.

Im happy to help the OP with a bit of tweaking although im off to Turkey for a week on monday so it would have to be sooner rather than later.

Edited by dave_bass5

Again, thanks for all the replies fellas. The buzzing starts around the 8th fret on the E, A and D strings. Towards the upper regster, there are a couple of dead notes towards the end of teh neck. As they have agreed to refund me £30 towards a set-up then I think that I'll keep it, my guitar tech charges £30 for a set-up but if there's something minor that can be fixed here then I'd be inclined to have a go myself.

To my eternal shame, I've been playing gutiar and bass since I was 13 and never once have I learned how to set up a guitar. I'd love someone to teach me properly as it can save you wads of cash over the years. Maybe something someone could organise - I'd definitley be up for learning.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='850172' date='May 28 2010, 10:57 AM']Again, thanks for all the replies fellas. The buzzing starts around the 8th fret on the E, A and D strings. Towards the upper regster, there are a couple of dead notes towards the end of teh neck. As they have agreed to refund me £30 towards a set-up then I think that I'll keep it, my guitar tech charges £30 for a set-up but if there's something minor that can be fixed here then I'd be inclined to have a go myself.

To my eternal shame, I've been playing gutiar and bass since I was 13 and never once have I learned how to set up a guitar. I'd love someone to teach me properly as it can save you wads of cash over the years. Maybe something someone could organise - I'd definitley be up for learning.[/quote]

Good luck with it. They really are nice basses.

This is the video that really helped me with my setups.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIzV9462xeE&playnext_from=TL&videos=cTERsbbGjFA"]Laklland set up guide.[/url]

Haven't read through all this thread but I wouldn't touch it.
Either the shop put it right and you accept it again after that..or it goes back.

Anything wrong with MM QC these days..? Not the first thing I've heard lately.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='850172' date='May 28 2010, 10:57 AM']To my eternal shame, I've been playing gutiar and bass since I was 13 and never once have I learned how to set up a guitar. I'd love someone to teach me properly as it can save you wads of cash over the years. Maybe something someone could organise - I'd definitley be up for learning.[/quote]

Ok, it's not rocket science and you can start reading this link thoroughly and I strongly advice you practice with a "spare" bass as a guinee pig, but first read here:
[url="http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf"]http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54j...uide_ver100.pdf[/url]

If you are in London and you get stuck, we can sort out a meet with a few of you's who would like a demonstration, and I can give you some tips.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='850172' date='May 28 2010, 10:57 AM']Again, thanks for all the replies fellas. The buzzing starts around the 8th fret on the E, A and D strings. Towards the upper regster, there are a couple of dead notes towards the end of teh neck. As they have agreed to refund me £30 towards a set-up then I think that I'll keep it, my guitar tech charges £30 for a set-up but if there's something minor that can be fixed here then I'd be inclined to have a go myself.

To my eternal shame, I've been playing gutiar and bass since I was 13 and never once have I learned how to set up a guitar. I'd love someone to teach me properly as it can save you wads of cash over the years. Maybe something someone could organise - I'd definitley be up for learning.[/quote]

[url="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html"]This[/url] is all you need to know. :rolleyes:

That'll be £30 please. :)

I have just bought a Ray34, I am really pleased with it, however I have one question:

The nut doesnt sit flat on mine, the E string side seems a couple of mill higher than the G. This makes the E string sit higher than the other strings I have adjusted the action on that string and it now seems fine. From what I can see the nut on mine looks similar to the OP's, almost a wedge shape is this normal? Apologies for the hijack and also if the question is a bit daft.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='850294' date='May 28 2010, 01:27 PM']I have just bought a Ray34, I am really pleased with it, however I have one question:

The nut doesnt sit flat on mine, the E string side seems a couple of mill higher than the G. This makes the E string sit higher than the other strings I have adjusted the action on that string and it now seems fine. From what I can see the nut on mine looks similar to the OP's, almost a wedge shape is this normal? Apologies for the hijack and also if the question is a bit daft.[/quote]

Mine is also like that.

[quote name='basskit_case' post='850321' date='May 28 2010, 01:59 PM']So I should assume that this is a feature and not something that needs changing? :)[/quote]

I did.
Ive not seen a nut like this before so i assumed it might be how they are on the non compensated SR4's. No idea if thats right but i dont find it to be an issue. The actual gap between the strings and the fretboard seem pretty even.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='850382' date='May 28 2010, 03:26 PM']I think we're seeing a pattern forming here. :)[/quote]

I know what it is. They all have a Ray34. Am I right, am I right, did I spot the pattern? What do I win? :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='849684' date='May 27 2010, 07:08 PM']I've just been looking at your pics again - The way the strings are mounted into the nut looks about right to my eye - Then I blew up the picture & realised it's not the way the nut is cut, but the fact that the groove that the nut sits in hasn't been cut deep enough! If you look, the nut is only recessed about 1-2mm into the neck.[/quote]

I thought mine was better but it seems not. Still, it all works ok so ive no worries about it.

[attachment=50948:IMG_1699.JPG]

[attachment=50946:IMG_1697.JPG]

[attachment=50947:IMG_1698.JPG]