Why become a member? ×

Superceded by new FS post

Clarky

I blame BassChat GAS for this one! I was never good enough to play a fretless but got this after convincing myself that I could learn to intonate and after being whipped up into a frenzy reading on BC about how much more expressive a fretless could be. Well, I can't intonate. Period. I need frets.

The bass itself came from Vintage and Rare in Denmark Street and I paid £1,600 for it (its still shown on their website at £1,795 a couple of months after I bought it!). Its a '76, light/medium weight (probably about 9-ish pounds I guess), very vibrant sunburst, paintwork in generally excellent condition (only a couple of minor dings), and the rosewood board is in superb nick. In fact the overall condition of this bass is so good for a 34 year old that I suspect it has spent much of its life unplayed in its case - I seem to be carrying on that tradition :) . For a second opinion on its condition, you could ask Happy Jack who was there when I bought it. I have swapped the standard black s/p for a 70s style tort one made for me by the Bass Doc so it looks very Jamerson. Of course both s/p's would be included in any sale. It has a pretty good condition Fender hard case, chrome covers and a certificate of authenticity from V&R. As far as I am aware it is completely 100% original (when wearing the black s/p of course).

Here's V&R's pics and you can see more by clicking on the link in my sig below.
[attachment=50379:76fl.jpg][attachment=50380:76fl2.jpg][attachment=50381:76fl3.jpg][attachment=50382
:76fl4.jpg]

Even though I got the price down to £1,600, I know I probably overpaid a bit. So I would be looking for £1,500 plus postage. Would prefer meet up though as the Fender case is pretty heavy. Not really looking for trades as I have enough basses - unless someone wanted to swap a Fender Custom Shop 55P or a Pino (yeah, right, rocking horse poo-poo and all that!)

Edited by Clarky

Here are some pics in its current Jamerson-type livery and in its OHSC:

[attachment=50393:clarky_basses_004.JPG]
[attachment=50396:clarky_basses_001.JPG]
[attachment=50395:clarky_basses_005.JPG]

Strewth, mate, that didn't take long!

By sheer chance I bumped into Clarky in Denmark Street just as was going to collect this bass, which if nothing else allowed me to introduce him to Simone.

It's absolutely gorgeous, plays well, and is pretty much mint.

I'm safe, no pressure to buy it ... it's got a rosewood board. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='845875' date='May 23 2010, 05:03 PM']Strewth, mate, that didn't take long![/quote]
Well as regards my fretless playing abilities, as the redoubtable Mrs Clarky says: "if it looks like poo and smells like poo, it is poo" :)

I've basically got too much money tied up in a bass I can't play properly ....

[quote name='Clarky' post='845876' date='May 23 2010, 05:06 PM']Well as regards my fretless playing abilities, as the redoubtable Mrs Clarky says: "if it looks like poo and smells like poo, it is poo" :)

I've basically got too much money tied up in a bass I can't play properly ....[/quote]

I feel your pain mate, I also have a frettless I can't play, I got mine free and it's an Encore so I may aswell keep it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='845879' date='May 23 2010, 05:08 PM']I feel your pain mate, I also have a frettless I can't play, I got mine free and it's an Encore so I may aswell keep it.[/quote]
Never mind Wayne - I was thinking of offering it to you as potentiial banana yellow re-fin!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='845929' date='May 23 2010, 06:44 PM']Clarky, get it fretted?[/quote]
Hey Steve, got a fretted 72P in sunburst already! These are pretty hard to find so hopefully someone will want this, esp as its in amazing condition

PS, Steve, I preferred The Associates 'Affectionate Punch' avatar!

Edited by Clarky

Prefer cash but here is my incredibly specific and short list of possible trades:

1. Fender CS 55P
[attachment=50414:55p.jpg]

2. Fender CS Pino
[attachment=50415:pino.jpg]

3. Also potentially interested in an early 70s (TV logo'd) aged-cream Oly White Precision with maple neck (not rosewood), like Colin Greenwood's (Radiohead)
[attachment=50412:colin.jpg]

[quote name='Clarky' post='845876' date='May 23 2010, 05:06 PM']Well as regards my fretless playing abilities, as the redoubtable Mrs Clarky says: "if it looks like poo and smells like poo, it is poo" :)

I've basically got too much money tied up in a bass I can't play properly ....[/quote]

But how long have you had it? Getting to grips with an unlined fretless takes some patience and practice. So perhaps it's not worth ditching it just yet.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='846039' date='May 23 2010, 09:22 PM']But how long have you had it? Getting to grips with an unlined fretless takes some patience and practice. So perhaps it's not worth ditching it just yet.[/quote]
Only a couple of months, its true. But I am not being unduly humble to say I am basically rubbish on it. And, as I said, its an awful lot of moolah to have tied up in a bass you cannot play. Plus, its a shame its not in the hands of someone who could actually express themselves on this lovely instrument. In short its wasted on me.

I just have this nagging feeling you'll end up regretting selling it on. Yes, it's not easy to play at first, and your ears and fingers need to readjust, but it's worth the effort. But anyway... shucks...

Personally, I'd kill for a black unlined fretless P!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='846333' date='May 24 2010, 10:51 AM']Beautiful bass - would be even more splendid with a tort p/guard[/quote]

Thanks Shaggy! Check post 3 in this thread - shows it with its Bass Doc-crafted tort pickguard :)

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='846052' date='May 23 2010, 09:30 PM']Personally, I'd kill for a black unlined fretless P![/quote]

Not wanting to hijack the thread so treat it as a bump, but Mansons in Exeter have a black one.
Personally, I prefer the look of Clarky's!

Edited by Porkpie

[quote name='alanbass1' post='846419' date='May 24 2010, 12:15 PM']Hi Clarky, how much does the bass weigh?[/quote]
Hi Alan, I think its about 9lbs, maybe 9.5lbs, but I don't have proper scales. Its not a very heavy one. If you were interested I could always pop round and you try it out

Edit: just ordered one of those hand-held hanging digital scales thingies on eBay so should be able to give exact weight in a couple of days time

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Davo-London' post='847521' date='May 25 2010, 02:19 PM']Just sold my 1978 Precision fretless (maple) that i've owned from new with the original invoice and immaculate condition for £1000. Good luck, but I think your price is a bit optimistic.

Davo[/quote]

Wouldn't that comment have been better posted as a PM?! :)

Yes it would have!
Please keep all comments on price to PM's!

Vintage instruments are notoriously difficult to price, theres a two year difference in age with the above two examples, two different colours etc. I think comparing prices is pointless!

Good luck
Si

Trouble is, once someone has posted something that spikes all the efforts of an honest seller, it trashes the FS thread. Inevitably the bass either then takes an age to sell or doesn't sell at all

I may as well go back to the drawing board and try to learn fretless again :)