Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40 Basses

FlatEric

Hi.

In reply.

This is what Chip actually said.
"Cutting the coil-tap red wire allows much more desirable treble overtones, so I'd not use the coil tap"

Effectively, the single coil/humbucker sound that we are used to would be transformed into a
"brighter" humbucker.

I do like the single coil sound as well, so my "Toddification" should allow both.

Chip also said that the controls confused a lot of players when they first picked u a "T".

I can understand what he said but in reality, two minutes of fiddling around and it becomes clear what
is going on.
The only thing that a lot of owners miss, is the fact that in "Single Coil" Bridge only, the Phase switch
becomes a "Coil Select", so with the switch pushed back, the coil nearer the neck becomes active and the
other one is cut. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

The Sweet Spot.
I have a T-45 and the pick-up is in the place where most single pick-ups are - about where a Precicion
would be. Can't make my mind up! I'm sort of thinking "it's a project" so why not!

The weight.

I posted this up ages ago.

Weight!
"I was thinking about this, earlier this year, when I opened up my '79 to
sort out an annoying crackle, I decided to strip it down, clean it up and
give it a good service.
I weighed the parts on a very accurate industrial scale.
The body was 2.15Kg - 4.73 lbs, neck 1.16KG - 2.55 lbs and all the remaining
parts were 1.45KG - 3.19 lbs. Total 4.76KG - 10.49 lbs.
When you consider that each bridge saddle weighs about one ounce and the whole
bridge, assembled, is just under 1 lb, at 15 ounces, I think that's what tipped it over
the edge! Does anyone know of a heavier bridge??
Having weighed some of the others, 10.5 lbs is about on the mark.
Does this add to the sound? Well, all things considered, I suppose it does.
What are they like to gig with?
Well, our sets are about 45 to 50 minutes and it doesn't bother me, in fact
after a while you get used to it and then going back to something lighter/smaller,
feels a bit odd".

If you pop back to the blog every now and then, I have plans for the victim, as it
is a "weighty" T-40. Some are.

I have and have played many other basses that are heavier.

Any more questions/ideas - fire away.

Cheers. :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1326841' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:58 PM']Hi.

In reply.

This is what Chip actually said.
"Cutting the coil-tap red wire allows much more desirable treble overtones, so I'd not use the coil tap"

Effectively, the single coil/humbucker sound that we are used to would be transformed into a
"brighter" humbucker.

I do like the single coil sound as well, so my "Toddification" should allow both.[/quote]

So I guess that 'cutting' could involve the wire being unsoldered from one point?

[quote]Chip also said that the controls confused a lot of players when they first picked u a "T".

I can understand what he said but in reality, two minutes of fiddling around and it becomes clear what
is going on.
The only thing that a lot of owners miss, is the fact that in "Single Coil" Bridge only, the Phase switch
becomes a "Coil Select", so with the switch pushed back, the coil nearer the neck becomes active and the
other one is cut. Try it, you'll see what I mean.[/quote]

This is the control setting I tend to prefer in terms of overall tone.

Hello!!

I bought a T40 a few weeks ago but it needs a bit of work. It's a 1980 model toaster with maple neck.It's absolutely great,properly worn in but I'm looking for a few pieces for it, if anyone can help?!

1. A set of 4 bridge saddles
2. A machine head
3. A phase switch

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not unleashing it until I've got it tidied up.

[quote name='Grreth' post='1348488' date='Aug 22 2011, 10:13 PM']Hello!!

I bought a T40 a few weeks ago but it needs a bit of work. It's a 1980 model toaster with maple neck.It's absolutely great,properly worn in but I'm looking for a few pieces for it, if anyone can help?!

1. A set of 4 bridge saddles
2. A machine head
3. A phase switch

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not unleashing it until I've got it tidied up.[/quote]

Hi. Welcome. :)

Saddles. . . . Mmmm, not so easy!

Tuner, What it wrong with the original?

Switch - easiest of all requests. Easily got, if you struggle, I've got spares.

Come back to me.

Cheers> :)

Hi Eric,

The tuner? Some joker has fitted a fender clover type tuner for the 'g' string! I've absolutely no idea why! It's currently fitted with a badassII Bridge, I have an original but need some saddles. I can wait for them though.

Where can I get a phase switch? I'm haven't much knowledge of the switches and want to make sure I get the correct one for the bass. It's a 1980 model. If you have spares, I would certainly buy one from you if you were prepared to sell.

Cheers,

Gareth

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1349388' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:12 PM']Hi. Welcome. :)

Saddles. . . . Mmmm, not so easy!

Tuner, What it wrong with the original?

Switch - easiest of all requests. Easily got, if you struggle, I've got spares.

Come back to me.

Cheers> :)[/quote]

HI!

I've been kind of watching that site and I've managed to pick up a couple of things from www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk
Mark from that site has been very helpful!

Cheers,

Gareth

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1349413' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:27 PM']Various spares for the T-40 come up for sale on [url="http://www.belongingsbroker.com/category/peavey-t-parts"]this website[/url] once in a while...[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cocco' post='1361406' date='Sep 3 2011, 11:01 PM']Just thought you might like to know I have found complete tonal perfection and it is a T-40 and a sansamp though an orange AD200 and 8x10 rig. I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who never gets to experience it. That is all.[/quote]

Top Job!

Curious to know how your Toaster is set, control wise.

Well Eric I like my toast golden brown so roughly number 4 is ample, although if you're talking about my pickups I set both tones to around 7 ie just before they hit single coil (I really need to do the mod that stops them going single coil) and use the pickup selector as a tone switch, so depending on desired sound for a song I'll use the neck pickup on it's own or both together, never the bridge on it's own though, it just doesn't suit my playing, I find myself adjusting the tone setting of the solo'd neck pickup alot too, mostly for the differences in attack/decay you get depending on how it's set though as opposed to for the EQ. I use rotosound strings religiously too, 45-105, I've tried Ernie Ball, D'adario, DR, R.Cocco, Elites, Picato and god knows what else but roto are definatly the boys for me. I'm still really curious as to what a later rail equipped T-40 would do for me though.

• 2 weeks later...

FOR ALL YOU T-40 FANS OUT THERE. :)

[attachment=89387:ScottGrove_T_40.JPG]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jbZuUVHt3Y"]The Best T-40 YouTube Review[/url]

Well worth a watch.

About 20 mins long so get a cup of tea or coffee, sit back and enjoy.

The only bit he missed was that when only the bridge pick-up is on, in single coil
the phase switch is a coil select.
He also describes things made of steel - they are not, it's Zinc Die Cast.
His is 12lbs!! I do have [i]one[/i] at around that weight but most average 10.5lbs

Great to see a youtube thing where you can actually hear what they are like.

Terrific!

Absolutely love the one I purchased off of flat eric a few months back, in fact so impressed I sold my kubicki and my t-40 is my main bass now. Am saving up to purchase a second one in the future, hopefully coloured body with maple neck. Absolutely lovely basses!
[attachment=89415:T_40.JPG]

Edited by CyberBass

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1372777' date='Sep 14 2011, 08:04 AM']The only bit he missed was that when only the bridge pick-up is on, in single coil
the phase switch is a coil select.
He also describes things made of steel - they are not, it's Zinc Die Cast.
His is 12lbs!! I do have [i]one[/i] at around that weight but most average 10.5lbs[/quote]

Yep, the best review so far. He even uses a plectrum a few times (seems to be a rarity in bass demo videos). Shame he wasn't a fan of the phase switch, but I guess he hasn't noodled around with it enough to see how much it can do. My favourite setting is is still with the phase switch in the down position, bridge pickup only with the tone rolled off to 8 or so - and played with a plectrum, of course :)

• 2 weeks later...

Incase anyone is interested, a friend of mine has been doing a bit of tech work for Nicky Wire of the manics. Nicky has recently got himself a fine black toaster which he's apparently besotted with. He'll never use it live apparently but it's gonna be on the next record :)

• 2 weeks later...

Woo I've just picked up a T40, a 1980 one, toasters, natural body... it's heavy, about 11lb but not sure it's too heavy.

So it needs some work... and i have questions....

Problem 1... truss rod needs tightening.... and it needs some kinda 6 sided sprocket. what would you recommend? (or lend me if you want!)

Problem 2... both switches are broken, recommended replacement or just any switch of the same function.

Problem 3 ... one tone pot doesn't seem to stop, it just keeps spinning, and the other has a funny grind at the end off it's travel. The volumes work but intermidantly and sometimes pop 'open', to close the circuit pulling them up gently works.
I guess replace one, and will cleaner sort out the other or will they all need replaced?

cheers

sooo... the pots look alright, just knobs not on tight enough!

Next problem is someone in the past has had a go at the electronics so no sound from bridge pup, it does look like it's working though along with all the pots.....

but everything else is messed up, the switches, well the neck pickup has been wired bypassing the switch.... oh and there is a cap missing and a resistor between the volume and tone pots of the bridge pup.... actually no wonder the thing seems to be playing up, oh and it seems to have different cap values to the schematic