Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40 Basses

FlatEric

edit- more research- the caps are right, and apparently the resistor isn't a resistor, just a cap. well you never..... so it should just be 2 new switches and we are away!

(and the truss rod)

edit number 2.... what switches do i need??? a on on on switch and a DPDT I guess? advice of where from?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1318149389' post='1398452']
There's a link a few pages back to where you can get the originals from, both mine have been replaced with generic type ones and its made no difference
[/quote]

yeah, the link isn't working, just trying to find out where to find generic ones, esp an on-on-on switch

• 3 weeks later...

So after getting it home I stripped it down and it sat in bits for a while, yesterday the soldering iron came out and it's all fixed up and working. Well it will be working as soon as there are some new strings on it, can't wait!
It also weighs a fair bit. Twice the weight of my Warwick, which I hope I will be able to get on with.

after two weeks or was it one, with it in bits as i was busy busy busy it is my NBD!

a working, well set up T40!

and erm.... I don't know what to think, it sounds like nothing else ive ever played and... ill leave it a while before making a judgement of if i like it or not. very distinct tone donchay?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1319570818' post='1416010']
after two weeks or was it one, with it in bits as i was busy busy busy it is my NBD!

a working, well set up T40!

and erm.... I don't know what to think, it sounds like nothing else ive ever played and... ill leave it a while before making a judgement of if i like it or not. very distinct tone donchay?
[/quote]

so a bit later.....
it's an interesting bass, the new strings really show that my old ones have been on for almost a year!! oops - so it's all a lot more metalic and zingy because of that compared to the other.
Starting off in single coil mode you have a nice single coil sound off the rear pup, the phase switch down is nicer. The neck single coil sound I could leave. Together they sound pretty good. A bit like a very strange jazz or something.
The humbucker mode is way more interesting, i've not had a humbucker powered bass since the status. Singuarly the rear pup is nice with a good array of tones, the neck pickup again less interesting, I kinda wished it was back in the P bass position.
Both on together however has some really nice, and very bassey sounds. It does deep and low well.
Interestingly backing off the volumes a wee bit seems to have a massive difference to the tone, bringing out the mids more. Interesting, and needs to be investigated further.

I have a feeling that this bass was possibly designed with pic playing in mind, something about the tone and the attack of a pick go together- I don't use a pick :)
The weight isn't to much of an issue so far, it's fairly well balanced.
One thing i really really dislike is the stupidly-hi-mass bridge. My other two basses, and some of my favourite basses past are both so resonant and musical. My P bass sounds amazing and like a P bass unplugged- as the wood vibrates- stick the headstock up to the wall and the vibrations are amplified.
Same with the Warwick- but the T40 doesn't really resonant at all- the bridge does such a good job of isolating the string. Good for sustain.... but not something I'm so keen on.

We'll see how I get on with it

So, I'm enjoying it more. it is a good bass.

but.... can anyone tell me what it's good for? why would a bass player have a t40 in their arsenal?

I like it, but I always get this sneaking feeling that my other basses can do the same thing, but better.

So far a nice dubby sound, or playing with a pick I think would work with it.
Still more experimenting to do but Im unsure about this bass, and i really really want to love it.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1319704070' post='1417351']
i use mine for everything :)
[/quote]

fair enough. I'm guessing looking at your play list you go for a valvey sound with your amp? - is it the cleanness of my amp that effecting my view of it?
What are your favourite settings?

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1319724178' post='1417762']
I use mine every day and it's my main bass, the tonal range is fantastic, in fact I love the bass so much that I'm saving up for a blade version. I mainly play pick style, however I play mainly clean through Genz Benz with a little gain for slight dirtiness.
[/quote]
thanks Cyberbass :)

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1319731780' post='1417924']
I've seriously considered getting a T40 a few times as a second bass. I'm a little put off by the weight and it doesn't look too great to me, but you can't go wrong for the price they go for. If one comes up cheap I may have to get it :) .
[/quote]

theres one on the for sale section for not a lot at all.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1319722267' post='1417723']

fair enough. I'm guessing looking at your play list you go for a valvey sound with your amp? - is it the cleanness of my amp that effecting my view of it?
What are your favourite settings?
[/quote]

I like old school kind of sounds, but I don't go for strong overdrive or distortion. I have not much interest in the sparkly high end, so old strings for me all the way! I think i've got some custom gauge slinkies on, they've been on for about a year now...

The setting I use most are, in no particular order:

- both pickups in full humbucker mode, tone rolled off all the way, either pick or fingers. Good for most things, a little too dark at times
- neck pickup only, humbucker, tone rolled off: the reggae and dub version of the above :)
- bridge pickup only, humbucker, tone rolled down to 6 or so. My favourite setting with a pick for old school punk
- neck pickup in humbucker mode, tone rolled off all the way, bridge pickup in single coil mode, open all the way. Another favourite one-sounds-fits-all setting for live work.
- both pickup in humbucker mode, tone rolled off all way, phase switch on: put the volume up and play NIB or some 70's funk :)

hope this helps,

(you can come on the 5th at Cruz on the Shore, i'm playing with Red2Red, reggae and ska with the T40!)

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1319791855' post='1418544'] I like old school kind of sounds, but I don't go for strong overdrive or distortion. I have not much interest in the sparkly high end, so old strings for me all the way! I think i've got some custom gauge slinkies on, they've been on for about a year now... The setting I use most are, in no particular order: - both pickups in full humbucker mode, tone rolled off all the way, either pick or fingers. Good for most things, a little too dark at times - neck pickup only, humbucker, tone rolled off: the reggae and dub version of the above :) - bridge pickup only, humbucker, tone rolled down to 6 or so. My favourite setting with a pick for old school punk - neck pickup in humbucker mode, tone rolled off all the way, bridge pickup in single coil mode, open all the way. Another favourite one-sounds-fits-all setting for live work. - both pickup in humbucker mode, tone rolled off all way, phase switch on: put the volume up and play NIB or some 70's funk :) hope this helps, (you can come on the 5th at Cruz on the Shore, i'm playing with Red2Red, reggae and ska with the T40!)[/quote]
I know Georgie a former backing singer with Red2Red!

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1319794833' post='1418600']
We've only got Lisa now, but she's leaving to go back to Oz after next gig... If you know someone, let me know :)
[/quote]

I'll have a think, I don't think I know anybody.
Been having a wee play this morning. The sounds you suggested were good. And reset the string height up a bit so it suits my playing style. What a range of tones- but I have a feeling this bass won't be kept long. It's more 'rock' than I need for the stuff I play at the moment. And I play it for a while and are getting along fine and enjoying it, and then pick up one of my other basses and suddenly everything is so much easier to play, and fun, something to do with the body shape, and the pickup sounds I think. Sad times.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1319798192' post='1418674']

I'll have a think, I don't think I know anybody.
Been having a wee play this morning. The sounds you suggested were good. And reset the string height up a bit so it suits my playing style. What a range of tones- but I have a feeling this bass won't be kept long. It's more 'rock' than I need for the stuff I play at the moment. And I play it for a while and are getting along fine and enjoying it, and then pick up one of my other basses and suddenly everything is so much easier to play, and fun, something to do with the body shape, and the pickup sounds I think. Sad times.
[/quote]

It's a matter of taste, ultimately. I find the T40 has a very unique and characteristic sound, and one I love. I also have several other very different basses I use all the time, some of which are easier to play (some are harder, like he CMI Ned Callan...).

I noticed only now that you use tecamp stuff. Fabulous pieces of kit, I sold mine and regret doing so.

However, I also found that the T40 didn't give its best (to my ears) through my tecamp puma 350 + S210

I found that it absolutely sings with older amps, but the sound it gives is quite different...

If you like, you can come round to mine and hear it through something more old school :)

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1319813919' post='1418914']
I noticed only now that you use tecamp stuff. Fabulous pieces of kit, I sold mine and regret doing so.

However, I also found that the T40 didn't give its best (to my ears) through my tecamp puma 350 + S210

I found that it absolutely sings with older amps, but the sound it gives is quite different...

If you like, you can come round to mine and hear it through something more old school :)
[/quote]
thats what I figured given what Cocco wrote about his amp/bass dilemmas, I have a pedal which is more or less the front end of a SVT with transistors somewhere, ill give it a try with that. I want to love this bass! It wouldn't surprise me if it was just one of those bass/amp combinations that doesn't work, ill get my pedal back of my friend and give it a go