Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40 Basses

FlatEric

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1344946748' post='1771439']
Nice track!

Using an earlier "Toaster".

I am still breaking down my collection of Forty's but will still end
up with maybe five or 6 of them, as keepers.
You [i]may [/i]be interested in one of them.

So, I'll be in touch, via PM.

Cheers. :)
[/quote]

Thanks! PM'd back! :)

Yeah he's been using that T-40 for at least a year now alongside his two Precisions - I've noticed a couple of different artists using them recently too. Definite gas! :)

Mine aren't going anywhere either, the blade especially, nothing compares to the feel, sound and over all organicness of the thing. Buy from FlatEric in confidence by the way. I got my blade from him, he's one of the good guys :) these basses are worthy of 10x the price they go for in my opinion.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1321258675' post='1436926']
Mornin' all. :)

I you have nice pick up rings like this - Great. :D

I have been asked several times for a place to get new rings - just had another BCer
ask me yesterday.

I had a spare one, myself and had to use it a couple of years ago and the only place
I could find replacement ones, was in the USA.
A pair of these, including the postage, would come to around £25.00. :(

I have, in the past, thought about getting some made up, so. . . . . while I am at it, does anyone
need any new pick-up rings for their T-40.
I'll see what response I get and then based on the numbers I will put up a firm cost.

These will be a top job and not a Hacksaw and File operation.

I look forward to the flood of replies!!! :lol:

[/quote]

Know it's been ages but is there any chance the offer is still open? Would be nice to swap out the pair in mine and would be interested to know if it works out better value than fretsonthenet.

Hello all. I've also recently become part of the club with a 1980, natural, maple boarded toaster.

Like many mine has seen a bit of abuse over the years and had a bit of back alley open-heart surgery performed by drunken quacks. Mine's phase switch sits below the bridge (thus swopped with the pickup selector) and the pick up rings are busted, like so many others and the pickups are shedding a bit of skin on the vinyl. I've managed to score original rings and pickups in great condition, as well as switches for little more than what replacement rings would on Ebay.

A replacement knob set me back $25 and that's also roughly what I payed for an original, uncracked pickguard with the white indicator dots.

Now, before I head on over to the T-40 Forum and speak to strangers , I thought I'd post my questions here first.

I've seen two types of switches for these basses of this vintage, the flat ones and the baseball bat types. I've also seen them mixed up on the same bass.

Which are the correct ones for the 1980 basses, and is there a source that has all the subtle changes mapped out for easy identification? I have a feeling this won't be the last T-40 in my collection.

Also, mine's phase switch only works when the individual pickups are selected, leading me to believe that the last alcoholic surgeon that's worked on her is facing a malpractice suit.

Thanks so much for all the info here already. I'm already keeping my ear to the ground for blade.

Also, you might want to have a look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184684-losing-weight-a-peavey-t-40-t-60-workout/"]this[/url] if you've ever thought your T-40 was too heavy.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1345066184' post='1773230']
Know it's been ages but is there any chance the offer is still open? Would be nice to swap out the pair in mine and would be interested to know if it works out better value than fretsonthenet.
[/quote]

Never got round to this - I was going to offer them at cost to help me get the four I would like.

I think if anyone was interested could PM me, I would keep a list and when there were enough,
go for it.

So, anyone interested, let me know and the more I get made, the cheaper they will be and. . . .
as a T-40 nut, they would be as close as poss' to the originals.

:)

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1345382768' post='1776871']
Hello all. I've also recently become part of the club with a 1980, natural, maple boarded toaster.

Like many mine has seen a bit of abuse over the years and had a bit of back alley open-heart surgery performed by drunken quacks. Mine's phase switch sits below the bridge (thus swopped with the pickup selector) and the pick up rings are busted, like so many others and the pickups are shedding a bit of skin on the vinyl. I've managed to score original rings and pickups in great condition, as well as switches for little more than what replacement rings would on Ebay.

A replacement knob set me back $25 and that's also roughly what I payed for an original, uncracked pickguard with the white indicator dots.

Now, before I head on over to the T-40 Forum and speak to strangers , I thought I'd post my questions here first.

I've seen two types of switches for these basses of this vintage, the flat ones and the baseball bat types. I've also seen them mixed up on the same bass.

Which are the correct ones for the 1980 basses, and is there a source that has all the subtle changes mapped out for easy identification? I have a feeling this won't be the last T-40 in my collection.

Also, mine's phase switch only works when the individual pickups are selected, leading me to believe that the last alcoholic surgeon that's worked on her is facing a malpractice suit.

Thanks so much for all the info here already. I'm already keeping my ear to the ground for blade.

Also, you might want to have a look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184684-losing-weight-a-peavey-t-40-t-60-workout/"]this[/url] if you've ever thought your T-40 was too heavy.
[/quote]

Hi, fellow owner. :)

If yours is the Toaster type, which I believe it is - it has the small switches.

PM me with you woes and I will try and help.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1345392447' post='1776996'] Hi, fellow owner. :) If yours is the Toaster type, which I believe it is - it has the small switches. PM me with you woes and I will try and help. Cheers. :) [/quote]

Mine is indeed a toaster, and by small you mean? The ones I have on are round bats as opposed to flat. I'm waiting for my parts (shipping to South Africa takes time) and the big disassemble and rebuilding will begin.

Thank you kindly for the offer. No doubt I will need all the help I can get.

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1345398391' post='1777084']
Mine is indeed a toaster, and by small you mean? The ones I have on are round bats as opposed to flat. I'm waiting for my parts (shipping to South Africa takes time) and the big disassemble and rebuilding will begin.

Thank you kindly for the offer. No doubt I will need all the help I can get.
[/quote]

A 1980 would not have Bat switches - these were only on the last of the "Blades".

Post up some pics of the beast!!

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1345569540' post='1778983']
Dammit! My 78 toaster has bats :(
[/quote]

Calm down!! :P

Your bass may have replacement switches - they are perhaps small bats!!

The should be the same as your Sunburst!

The Peavey Bat switches, look like this:

If they are working - leave them.

If the look is important, let me know and for the price of a lot of Real Ale, for me and the good lady,
I could sort it.

Think I will do a feature in my blog, of all the subtle differences of the T Series.
From Bodies to cases! There are not that many but it may help other owners.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1345464140' post='1777713']
A 1980 would not have Bat switches - these were only on the last of the "Blades".

Post up some pics of the beast!!

[/quote]

And here are the pic's. Not the finest example on this thread, but for £115 for the bass as seen, it's not too bad.

I've spent an extra:
• £55 for an extra set of pickups (in perfect shape with) with perfectly intact pickup rings, pots and switches
• £15 for the missing tone knob
• £17 for an un-cracked original pickguard

All in all, I now have a solid, versatile touring bass for under £200 (rubbing hands, grinning self-contently).

Oh and of course, I hope there will be that feeling of accomplishment in a month or two when I've completely disassembled and fixed it up myself. While waiting for my parts to arrive, I've started stripping and polishing up all the bits that I can.

Expect frantic PM's as soon as the real work starts, FlatEric.

*For the life of me, I don't know why the pics are turned sideways when uploaded.*

Edited by q_of_doom

[quote name='q_of_doom' timestamp='1345644728' post='1779929']
And here are the pic's. Not the finest example on this thread, but for £115 for the bass as seen, it's not too bad.

I've spent an extra:
• £55 for an extra set of pickups (in perfect shape with) with perfectly intact pickup rings, pots and switches
• £15 for the missing tone knob
• £17 for an un-cracked original pickguard

All in all, I now have a solid, versatile touring bass for under £200 (rubbing hands, grinning self-contently).

Oh and of course, I hope there will be that feeling of accomplishment in a month or two when I've completely disassembled and fixed it up myself. While waiting for my parts to arrive, I've started stripping and polishing up all the bits that I can.

Expect frantic PM's as soon as the real work starts, FlatEric.

*For the life of me, I don't know why the pics are turned sideways when uploaded.*
[/quote]

Mmm, the old fella has been around a bit! ;)

Still, no matter - Built like a Mac Truck!!! B)

With the parts you have and a little TLC, sounds like you'll have it back into shape in no time! :)

You may as well change the switches - they are easy to get hold of and then you'll have a belter!

You say it's a 1980 - so the serial will be between 0048 and 0065. 32 years old!

Inside, it should look something like this!

These are off my Blade Project T-40 but essentially, same sparks.

Keep me posted.

• 3 weeks later...

I was put onto this by a fellow Forty Fan - Neither of us need any more!! :lol:

I will also put it up in ebay links.

These very rarely come up and with a RW board, even more scarce!!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-T40-Bass-Guitar-/261095022363?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cca79df1b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-T40-Bass-Guitar-/261095022363?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cca79df1b[/url]

I would like to see more pics, if it was me but described as MINT, so ask all the right questions about
any marks/faults and you should be covered.

Looks nice! :gas:

• 4 weeks later...