Why become a member? ×

charming title

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='846820' date='May 24 2010, 08:10 PM']Made me laugh to be honest as I saw the humour in the title straight away, but others may not I guess - but yeah, the term Spaz is quite a lot out of order, but cack handed is hardly offensive, not really... is it?[/quote]

It's the mark of the Devil!

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='846820' date='May 24 2010, 08:10 PM']Made me laugh to be honest as I saw the humour in the title straight away, but others may not I guess - but yeah, the term Spaz is quite a lot out of order, but cack handed is hardly offensive, not really... is it?[/quote]

Apparently (at least from the Turkish kids I went to school with 30 years ago) Cack means sh1t. In Middle eastern cultures, the left hand was reserved for wiping one's ar$e, and to offer the left hand to shake hands was a huge insult. Therefore, to call a left hander cack handed I would have thought fairly insulting.

Sorry to seem pious, but when you have heard of the predjudice that left handers have faced - my mum (back in the 30's) was regularly beaten at school to get her to use her right hand then all of a sudden calling it sh1t handed doesn't seem so mild and meaningless after all.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='846935' date='May 24 2010, 09:58 PM']Apparently (at least from the Turkish kids I went to school with 30 years ago) Cack means sh1t. In Middle eastern cultures, the left hand was reserved for wiping one's ar$e, and to offer the left hand to shake hands was a huge insult. Therefore, to call a left hander cack handed I would have thought fairly insulting.

Sorry to seem pious, but when you have heard of the predjudice that left handers have faced - my mum (back in the 30's) was regularly beaten at school to get her to use her right hand then all of a sudden calling it sh1t handed doesn't seem so mild and meaningless after all.[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86109&hl=ginger"]If you aren't brown or homosexual, no-one has any sympathy.[/url]

There isn't a link between the beating and the sh1t hand thing. Conformism makes life easier for the majority. The dirty left hand is middle eastern culture with a fairly sensible reasoning behind it, the beating in schools is a Christian thing, being a mark of the devil, as I was hinting at.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='846935' date='May 24 2010, 09:58 PM']Apparently (at least from the Turkish kids I went to school with 30 years ago) Cack means sh1t. In Middle eastern cultures, the left hand was reserved for wiping one's ar$e, and to offer the left hand to shake hands was a huge insult. Therefore, to call a left hander cack handed I would have thought fairly insulting.

Sorry to seem pious, but when you have heard of the predjudice that left handers have faced - my mum (back in the 30's) was regularly beaten at school to get her to use her right hand then all of a sudden calling it sh1t handed doesn't seem so mild and meaningless after all.[/quote]

I always used to say I was going for a cack when I was kid.Now I know where it comes from,thank you !
BTW I am also sh*t handed

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='846941' date='May 24 2010, 10:05 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86109&hl=ginger"]If you aren't brown or homosexual, no-one has any sympathy.[/url]

There isn't a link between the beating and the sh1t hand thing. Conformism makes life easier for the majority. The dirty left hand is middle eastern culture with a fairly sensible reasoning behind it, the beating in schools is a Christian thing, being a mark of the devil, as I was hinting at.[/quote]

Probably from the Crusaders then (no, not those cool jazz funk dudes) so all the more reason not to use it!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='846950' date='May 24 2010, 10:12 PM']I'm all for freedom of speech me. I'm not ashamed of your history.[/quote]

We all have lines over which we would rather people didn't cross (as seen on the Ginger thread). When I discovered the origin of the phrase I personally felt it was an insult so chose not to use it. As for my history - which bit?

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='846957' date='May 24 2010, 10:19 PM']We all have lines over which we would rather people didn't cross (as seen on the Ginger thread). When I discovered the origin of the phrase I personally felt it was an insult so chose not to use it. As for my history - which bit?[/quote]

Crusaders. No-one should be made to feel ashamed of the history that forged their culture.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='846960' date='May 24 2010, 10:23 PM']Crusaders. No-one should be made to feel ashamed of the history that forged their culture.[/quote]

Thank goodness for that - I can happilly defend my love for those guys - it was the Jewish, Black, Foundling background I was going to struggle with!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='846935' date='May 24 2010, 09:58 PM']Sorry to seem pious, but when you have heard of the predjudice that left handers have faced - my mum (back in the 30's) was regularly beaten at school to get her to use her right hand then all of a sudden calling it sh1t handed doesn't seem so mild and meaningless after all.[/quote]

That is only relevant if you're aware of such social history, and alas most people are not. Obviously people who may be left handed will be teased about it, just like being ginger, just like being spotty or having B.O. - it's part of the course of being a child unfortunately. But I doubt such predjudice is nowhere near the level of abuse you're proposing in your example. Is it? Obviously there are isolated incidents of extreme bullying where things go too far.

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='846935' date='May 24 2010, 09:58 PM']Apparently (at least from the Turkish kids I went to school with 30 years ago) Cack means sh1t. In Middle eastern cultures, the left hand was reserved for wiping one's ar$e, and to offer the left hand to shake hands was a huge insult. Therefore, to call a left hander cack handed I would have thought fairly insulting.[/quote]
The word "cack" or "keck" (in cack-handed) is an old English word meaning "clumsy". The excremental meaning has been absorbed into the language more recently.

[quote name='tauzero' post='847414' date='May 25 2010, 12:42 PM']The word "cack" or "keck" (in cack-handed) is an old English word meaning "clumsy". The excremental meaning has been absorbed into the language more recently.[/quote]

That's what I meant when I said that I was cack-handed, nothing poo related here, no siree...

[quote name='tauzero' post='847414' date='May 25 2010, 12:42 PM']The word "cack" or "keck" (in cack-handed) is an old English word meaning "clumsy". The excremental meaning has been absorbed into the language more recently.[/quote]

cack British informal - noun: excrement, dung. verb - defecate in (one's clothes). Origin Old English as cachus - privy. The verb dates from Late Middle English and is related to Middle Dutch cacken; based on Latin cacare - to defecate.

Cack handed has come to mean clumsy but the origin lies deep in excrement!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='847496' date='May 25 2010, 01:49 PM']Is it just me that thinks if we'd just get over ourselves, be a bit more relaxed about stuff, and have a bit more of a laugh at each other, the world would be a far less tense, much happier place?

Just wonderin'.[/quote]

Alternatively, is it just me? if we all used a little more consideration and didn't use terms that might cause offense that may have the same effect - didn't seem like a big ask to me.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='847508' date='May 25 2010, 02:05 PM']Alternatively, is it just me? if we all used a little more consideration and didn't use terms that might cause offense that may have the same effect - didn't seem like a big ask to me.[/quote]
I think we do... but too many people seem to be poised to spring into finger-waggling action when one slips through the net.

I'm not suprised the world's so uptight.