Why become a member? ×

Muse uprising

jezzaboy

Our band want to have a go at uprising by Muse, even though we don`t have a keyboard player. Hmmmm....

I`ve got the chords but how does the guy play the bassline? I looked at a couple of live clips and he doesn`t seem to be playing the notes an octave apart (if that`s the right term for playing the D on the A string then the D on the G string) if you get my drift. Or is he just doing it really quick? How do some of you do it? Would the sub harmonic setting on my Ashdown do the job?

Also I`ve got a EH Bigg Muff would that do for the sound? Any advice/dogs abuse will be appreciated!

Jez

Just sounds like 'quick, bouncy octaves' to me.

EDIT: Here ya go [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TktTUxNMreE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TktTUxNMreE[/url]

And I think a Big Muff would be fine, but make sure you keep some low end :)

Edited by HMX

I thought it was drop-D on the bass, to get that low open D note and octave above at the beginning. However, I'm sure there's a low C# in the chorus, so I think it may be drop-D detuned half a step. Maybe. Or maybe he has the bass set up BEAD.

Edited by JJTee

I play this with my cover band. I use an EH Big Muff with my bass tuned at concert pitch EADG. All I do is play octaves and our keyboard player also doubles up what I'm playing on his synth.

I start on the D - 10th fret on the E string. Does that help? I could record myself playing the riff once through tonight if it helps?

[quote name='peted' post='841749' date='May 19 2010, 09:48 AM']I play this with my cover band. I use an EH Big Muff with my bass tuned at concert pitch EADG. All I do is play octaves and our keyboard player also doubles up what I'm playing on his synth.

I start on the D - 10th fret on the E string. Does that help? I could record myself playing the riff once through tonight if it helps?[/quote]
Basically that's what I do when I play it. In an ideal world you would split the signal with a 'normal' and 'fuzz/octaver effect being switched off and on when it suited.
In reality, I used an EHX Big Muff when the rest of the band were 'not in' and turned it off as the 2nd verse started up. If you watch live in Teignmouth, I then fuzzed up the mimic the guitar when he played the 'pentatonic with passing notes' riff at the end. Because of the lack of shifting, I found my muscle groups crying in pain, so I played it like a classical guitar (like Sting) with a thumb downstroke and a middle finger upstroke! (Sounds well-dodgy!)

Edited by merello

You either tune your bass down to C (I think that's how his status is tuned) or play it through an octaver. Wolstenholme does that quite a bit and it's what makes his bass sound so synthy (along with his big muffs).

[url="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=104720086"]This[/url] vid might help you a bit too!

TBH a single good gated fuzz pedal will get you close enough to most of the fuzzy Muse tones, if you have a suitable filter to put it through and maybe an octaver to knock everything down an octave for some songs. I've got two gated fuzzes - the Woolly Mammoth and the Brown Dog, and both are excellent for this sort of thing.

Actually I should probably sell one of them...

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='841786' date='May 19 2010, 10:14 AM']It sounds fatter with distortion & a touch of octaver :)[/quote]

Definately. Use both if you can if not then an octaver is a must. It's in standard tuning starting on D. There are 2 main patterns with a small difference between them, and then the guitar solo bit with another pattern. I found the notes out easily from some tab site and went from there.

We play it starting on E, saves all that retuning nonsense. I don't change any settings, as we are an ( apart from me ) acoustic band, and the guitarists don't ever change theirs. I might try switching in the sub-octaver on my amp when nobody's looking, but I'm worried I might forget to switch it off again.

For the synth riff that opens song, we have used a Stylophone in the past, but have just acquired a violinist, so she gets to play it instead.

Apart from that ( and some close-harmonies in the chorus ) we play it exactly like the original :-)