Why become a member? ×

£1000 Basses...Whats best?

ajerthebadger

Hi,

Looking for some advice on whats hot for £1000 these days?

I have been looking at the New Fender American Deluxe series, looking pretty good to me, but obviously I need to go try it.

Would like something thats traditional shape (Jazz/Musicman).

I've currently got a Musicman Sterling USA (not the Sterling by Musicman Korean stuff) which I love but its time for an upgrade, another Sterling maybe but I'd like to know what else is out there for me to try.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

AJ

[quote name='ajerthebadger' post='840540' date='May 18 2010, 09:29 AM']Hi,

Looking for some advice on whats hot for £1000 these days?

I have been looking at the New Fender American Deluxe series, looking pretty good to me, but obviously I need to go try it.

Would like something thats traditional shape (Jazz/Musicman).

I've currently got a Musicman Sterling USA (not the Sterling by Musicman Korean stuff) which I love but its time for an upgrade, another Sterling maybe but I'd like to know what else is out there for me to try.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

AJ[/quote]

Hmm

What tone are you after?

Id personally say a Stingray, Precision or Jazz.

There hasnt been a better time for quite some years to buy a new 08/10 American Series P or J....Fender have got it right. As long as you are careful and check them over in first day or so, you should get an awesome bass.

It depends what you need it for - of course. I've found out the hard way that more esoteric basses seem not to be aimed at plodding rock band players like me. They sound (and often look) all wrong.

As has been said, unless you *know* that you need something fancier, a MusicMan or USA Fender product will get the job done with room to spare. And leave you some change in some cases.

Unless you really want to i wouldnt go new...you can get a worl class instrument for a grand second hand...A few Sei's have gone for a grand,ish and the Devon Jazz that was on here was a grand...

If i was going to buy new it would be the new Fender deluxe...

Second hand now i would get a MIJ Jazz with Aguilar pups and a Audere pre

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='840851' date='May 18 2010, 01:55 PM']Have you looked at a custom? Shuker maybe? Always an option with that amount of money.[/quote]

Was thinking the same - there's been a few fabulous Shuker's for sale here lately (some still for sale). For that sort of money I personally (as others have said) would look second hand. You get a whole lot more bang for yer bucks.

EDIT: But ofcourse your choice should be based upon what sort of sound etc. you want :)

Edited by purpleblob

As others have mentioned already in this thread, it all depends on what you like the sound of and the feel of best. I could sit here shouting "New American Standard Fender Jazz or Precision, Gibson Thunderbird, MusicMan 2EQ Stingray, second hand Shuker Jazz, second hand Status, Warwick", etc, etc, etc (ad infinitum!), but you're better off getting off your arse & visiting some music shops to find your ideal £1k bass. You'll know it's your bass when you feel just right playing it & love the sound it produces. :)

Then again, you could take someone's advice and buy something unseen off the interweb, receive it, hate it & sell one of us a total bargain on the classifieds on here in a few weeks... :rolleyes:

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Cheers for all your suggestions.

I like the Musicman because I can cover a wide palet of sounds. I'm currently in an Alt Rock band (www.mapsandlegends.co.uk if you want to hear some handy work) and the kind of rounder sound with a bit of clarity is what I'm going for. I tend to add some mid on the amp and have the bass boost half way on the bass to give it some punch.

My reason for going new is that I've never had a decent new bass. The money is coming as part of some inheritance and I'd really like some thing nice and new to show for it, so unless the bass was unused or perfect condition S/H then I wouldnt really consider it.

Obviously I would like to try out as many different basses as possible.

Heres some criteria if anyone can suggest a bass that fits:

- £1000 ish
- Decent Active electronics (comparative to a MusicMan)
- Open to suggestions on styling (would prefer Jazz/MusicMan)
- Good range of sounds or good round tone to accompany elctronics

I guess I'm after a work horse and want to be able to use it for future projects whatever they may be.

Thanks for all your help.

AJ

A decent Fender clone then..or MM.

For £1000 second hand you might get a hot Jazz..maybe a Sadowsky Metro. I think I saw one here recently, IIRC

An active Lakland DJ type..as I think they need a bit of beef to the sound as a £1000 bass.
They say some of the new Fenders are well worth a look...or Sandberg etc.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='840949' date='May 18 2010, 03:03 PM']but you're better off getting off your arse & visiting some music shops to find your ideal £1k bass. You'll know it's your bass when you feel just right playing it & love the sound it produces. :)[/quote]

True

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='840949' date='May 18 2010, 03:03 PM']As others have mentioned already in this thread, it all depends on what you like the sound of and the feel of best. I could sit here shouting "New American Standard Fender Jazz or Precision, Gibson Thunderbird, MusicMan 2EQ Stingray, second hand Shuker Jazz, second hand Status, Warwick", etc, etc, etc (ad infinitum!), but you're better off getting off your arse & visiting some music shops to find your ideal £1k bass. You'll know it's your bass when you feel just right playing it & love the sound it produces. :rolleyes:

Then again, you could take someone's advice and buy something unseen off the interweb, receive it, hate it & sell one of us a total bargain on the classifieds on here in a few weeks... :lol:[/quote]

+1
words of wisdom if i ever heard 'em :)

[quote name='ajerthebadger' post='840966' date='May 18 2010, 03:20 PM']Cheers for all your suggestions.

I like the Musicman because I can cover a wide palet of sounds. I'm currently in an Alt Rock band (www.mapsandlegends.co.uk if you want to hear some handy work) and the kind of rounder sound with a bit of clarity is what I'm going for. I tend to add some mid on the amp and have the bass boost half way on the bass to give it some punch.

My reason for going new is that I've never had a decent new bass. The money is coming as part of some inheritance and I'd really like some thing nice and new to show for it, so unless the bass was unused or perfect condition S/H then I wouldnt really consider it.

Obviously I would like to try out as many different basses as possible.

Heres some criteria if anyone can suggest a bass that fits:

- £1000 ish
- Decent Active electronics (comparative to a MusicMan)
- Open to suggestions on styling (would prefer Jazz/MusicMan)
- Good range of sounds or good round tone to accompany elctronics

I guess I'm after a work horse and want to be able to use it for future projects whatever they may be.

Thanks for all your help.

AJ[/quote]

Ah right, now you've clarified things a little more... So you like the active punch & clarity of the Sterling, but want something a little more rounded & thicker, then?

You need to try a Status S2-Classic (headed, I'd assume) - The 18v preamp gives you a more balanced sound & the second humbucker thickens things out a lot more. The preamp is among the best out there & the graphite neck is the most stable thing since granite. You'll also find you cut through any mix of instruments much better as well. I only suggest these as I've been playing them for twenty years and they really do cover every job and style very well.

The price of one of these is £1456 new. It's a lot more than your original £1000, but you're looking at £1300 with one of the new American Deluxe Fenders, so it's not too far away for something infinitely superior. Used versions are bullet proof and it's rare to find a tatty one as they're built so well. They crop up here and at statii.com for around £1000 or less, as I said, usually in mint condition.

[i][b]But again, make sure you get out there and try lots of instruments. You may even surprise yourself and fall for a £300 Squier, thusly saving yourself a packet. See what you find. :)[/b][/i]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz