Why become a member? ×

Bands on cruise ships??

bubinga5

Has anyone got any experience of bands on cruise ships? i have been asked if i would like to play Latin music on a caribbean cruise, but know nothing about it? what is the money like???...i dont really have any ties at the moment...

i dont think there is any reading involved...

any thoughts...

Edited by bubinga5

As luck would have it I did a gig at the weekend where one of the other acts was a sax player who does a lot of cruise ship work. If it gives you any benchmark, she reckoned she could earn as much in two weeks on the ships as she would get from a month of full-time teaching.

[quote name='Faithless' post='840055' date='May 17 2010, 07:24 PM']Playing Latin?

I would love to get such a invitation myself..

Anyway, wattabout reading, I think, that most cruise gigs are based on reading, mate, so, if you don't have your reading chops going, it not worth going for that, eh..[/quote]Well its a band in Bristol who have got a cruise gig and i dont think reading is necessary...

[quote name='Faithless' post='840055' date='May 17 2010, 07:24 PM']Anyway, wattabout reading, I think, that most cruise gigs are based on reading, mate, so, if you don't have your reading chops going, it not worth going for that, eh..[/quote]

That is not totally correct.
Depends what the gig is.If you are backing the shows , of course.
But there are just as many gigs on ships where you are playing for dancing or even just dinner/lounge/bar
gigs playing standards and Latin.

Bubinga..
The money is not as good as it used to be, but it still is ok.
Plus the thing is everything is all found [ food, accomodation ]
If you got nothing else to do - do it.
I have done plenty over the years and made plenty of Muso friends all over the world.
There will be plenty of other bands and muso's on board, so you will have a good social life.
Who knows you might like it and do a bit more.
A sure good way of getting your chops together.[plenty of playing] and save a bit of dosh.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='840200' date='May 17 2010, 09:12 PM']That is not totally correct.
Depends what the gig is.If you are backing the shows , of course.
But there are just as many gigs on ships where you are playing for dancing or even just dinner/lounge/bar
gigs playing standards and Latin.

Bubinga..
The money is not as good as it used to be, but it still is ok.
Plus the thing is everything is all found [ food, accomodation ]
If you got nothing else to do - do it.
I have done plenty over the years and made plenty of Muso friends all over the world.
There will be plenty of other bands and muso's on board, so you will have a good social life.
Who knows you might like it and do a bit more.
A sure good way of getting your chops together.[plenty of playing] and save a bit of dosh.

Garry[/quote]

+1

If you get the chance, do it. Get paid to see the world and play music everyday.

Having just stepped off the Queen Victoria, I think I can shed some light on the reading issue - if you're playing in one of the more formal bands, who support the shows and dancing, then reading will be a requirement; if you're the band they stick on for the parties and nightclub nights, don't worry.

We seemed to have a good few bass players onboard. A couple who supported the shows and orchestra; a chap from the jazz band; and a reggae player from St Lucia.

Work out if it sounds good to you...sounds obvious, but see what the pay is against the hours..how many sets per day.
Do you like the guys in the band..?
How long at sea...?..time off?

Things like this sound great until you break them down and then it becomes a job and maybe a gutty job at that.

I'd do it as short stint that you know you can hack..and then go from there.

Also, can you have fun as a band..?

A drummer friend of mine does cruise work, has done for the last 8 years!

He manages to put away a hefty amount of money, all his food and accomodation is paid for. I should say he mainly does big band stuff and also plays in a small jazz band so the money might be different

I got offered cruise work a few months ago after posting on joinmyband, the band who messaged me all said the money was good and that was just party/covers stuff

[quote name='Faithless' post='841695' date='May 19 2010, 08:55 AM']Dunno about you, but, personally, I wouldn't go into this sort of stuff, if I couldn't read.. You never know, who's gonna happen, do you? :)[/quote]
Well i dunno about you, but that might be an opportunity missed..there is lots of brilliant opportunities that dont involve reading...i would even say more so..

I will prob learn to read for the bass soon though as im learning to read with the piano