Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MusicMan SUB's

cameltoe

[quote name='luckman67' post='834642' date='May 11 2010, 08:11 PM']I really like my SUB & the fact that not only did I get it for a silly price,but it's made at the same factory using the same pickup & active 2 band eq as the Classic Stingray 4H.[/quote]

Arrgh don't come on here rubbing it in again ya jammy sod :)

To think of all the things I've wasted £99 on....

I was not rubbing it in i promise, but I still can not get over how EBMM made these basses & sold them for the price they did. I read somewhere that Sterling Ball was quoted that he might as well put a $100 bill,in with every SUB they made towards the end. I also think that the SUB bass will have a collectable value as even now on ebay prices are around £475 for one. I have seen Stingray's on ebay for around £780 but can't convince myself to get one as the SUB sounds as good IMO. Going to a guitar show on Sunday I will be on the lookout for a white 3 ply scratchplate.

I've got my SUB back today :)

I'm debating getting my electronics wizard friend to rewire the pickup. Does anyone know if it is do-able or how easy it is? I'm debating getting a Nordstrand pickup but if I'm going to spend £100+ on it, I'm wondering on whether trying to bag a second hand EBMM StingRay instead...thoughts on the difference between a SUB and a EBMM?

Either way, going to get a black pickguard, the gunshell metal is awful. Any suggestions on where to look?

[quote name='faceman' post='836612' date='May 13 2010, 09:02 PM']I've got my SUB back today :)

I'm debating getting my electronics wizard friend to rewire the pickup. Does anyone know if it is do-able or how easy it is? I'm debating getting a Nordstrand pickup but if I'm going to spend £100+ on it, I'm wondering on whether trying to bag a second hand EBMM StingRay instead...thoughts on the difference between a SUB and a EBMM?

Either way, going to get a black pickguard, the gunshell metal is awful. Any suggestions on where to look?[/quote]

If your electronics friend is indeed a wiz then he'd probably handle it - it's just not a nice job for keen amateurs. Get him to do it on a switch so you can go back and forth... then realise the the original wiring is best. :rolleyes:

Regarding the diff between SUB and 'ray pups I mentioned it twice already above. :lol:

Good luck finding a spare original 'ray pup btw.

[quote name='faceman' post='836612' date='May 13 2010, 09:02 PM']I've got my SUB back today :)

Either way, going to get a black pickguard, the gunshell metal is awful. Any suggestions on where to look?[/quote]

Can i ask why you are contemplating a pup change?

Going briefly back ot the weak G thing. Ive just put my EB group III flats back on my Ray34 and the G string is very loud lol.
Before anyone says anything, it wasn't a duff set of strings i had on before (these were the 3rd set of stings ive had on the bass before the flats).

Hmmm, might need to change my strings to something else when i take the flats off. Might try some chromes next.

The pup change would just be to give it some extra beef. My mate in college has just bagged the £550 pre-EB StingRay that was on sale here and in comparison, the SUB just sounded like water. The Pre-EB have balls and guts, although not as much as his 5-string 3EQ StingRay.

However, I have just done a quick recording (as it seems to express a better sentiment than I can say in words) about the G string on the SUB. Dave, how did you change the poll pieces as they are on springs and can't work out how to lower them? What are the general thoughts on this one?

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1480908/SUBStrings.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1480908/SUBStrings.mp3[/url]

This is with the bass knob around half way, and the treble dialled a little back from this. Can someone explain, are they both boost or boost and cut?! Trebble past half way is too much me thinks. I'm looking for a tighter growl sound with a deep low end.

[quote name='faceman' post='836743' date='May 13 2010, 11:44 PM']The pup change would just be to give it some extra beef. My mate in college has just bagged the £550 pre-EB StingRay that was on sale here and in comparison, the SUB just sounded like water. The Pre-EB have balls and guts, although not as much as his 5-string 3EQ StingRay.

However, I have just done a quick recording (as it seems to express a better sentiment than I can say in words) about the G string on the SUB. Dave, how did you change the poll pieces as they are on springs and can't work out how to lower them? What are the general thoughts on this one?

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1480908/SUBStrings.mp3"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1480908/SUBStrings.mp3[/url]

This is with the bass knob around half way, and the treble dialled a little back from this. Can someone explain, are they both boost or boost and cut?! Trebble past half way is too much me thinks. I'm looking for a tighter growl sound with a deep low end.[/quote]

Seb.
I believe the bass knob is boost only but the treble is cut and boost (although ive also read its boost only, im guessing its not). It doesn't have a centre click so you just need to use your ears. I used to run mine bass up almost full and treble about half.
I had a listen to your track. Nice tone. I did think the G sounded a bit weak on Money (im guessing you was using the G string). I really only notice the G string issue when the band are playing or im playing along to music at home. I do tend to go for a deeper tone than you have in the recording so maybe im boosting the low end too much and its effecting my G string.
As i wrote last night, its now very loud, at least with pick playing. It could be the lack of certain freqs in these strings. Who knows.

I used a hammer to knock the A and D pole pieces down. It only took a few gentle tap ( i took the pup out and covered it with a towel). You cant adjust the E and G pieces apparently as they are too tight.

If i keep my Ray34 as my main bass (likely as its all i have now) im thinking of getting a J East pre put in it. he does a nice 4 knob one that works both as a pre EB 2EQ or 3EQ.

I just looked in the basses for sale section, it seems strange not seeing a few SR's on the first page. Looks like i missed the boat on getting a cheap SR5 :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

I can only speak from my own experience with my SUB. I wouldn't dream of changing a thing. The SUB has a great sound all on it's own. I just don't understand the lack of beef comment. Mine has it in shedloads. Perhaps there is something wrong with the bass that it isn't giving out enough. I'll grant you that a change of pickguard improves the looks but apart from that I struggle to know why you would want to change anything. The SUB is what it is. It's not a Ray. I actually prefer the SUB sound to the Ray that's why I kept it and sold my Ray. I don't think that the differences are vast but the SUB has it's own sound. The SUB is also an American made quality bass. It just doesn't cost as much as a Ray. As for the weak G string - I had it on my Ray but not on the SUB. Sometimes I feel we get into a mindset of always assuming that a standard pup somehow must need replacing. However, it's all down to how we feel about our own instruments. If you can't get on with a bass, sell it on until you find the Holy Grail for you. All the best!

[quote name='Hutton' post='836869' date='May 14 2010, 09:12 AM'][b]
I can only speak from my own experience with my SUB. I wouldn't dream of changing a thing. The SUB has a great sound all on it's own. I just don't understand the lack of beef comment. Mine has it in shedloads. Perhaps there is something wrong with the bass that it isn't giving out enough. I'll grant you that a change of pickguard improves the looks but apart from that I struggle to know why you would want to change anything. The SUB is what it is. It's not a Ray. I actually prefer the SUB sound to the Ray that's why I kept it and sold my Ray. I don't think that the differences are vast but the SUB has it's own sound. The SUB is also an American made quality bass. It just doesn't cost as much as a Ray. [/b]As for the weak G string - I had it on my Ray but not on the SUB. Sometimes I feel we get into a mindset of always assuming that a standard pup somehow must need replacing. However, it's all down to how we feel about our own instruments. If you can't get on with a bass, sell it on until you find the Holy Grail for you. All the best![/quote]
A big +1 to all this.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='836859' date='May 14 2010, 09:00 AM']Seb.
I believe the bass knob is boost only but the treble is cut and boost .......... It doesn't have a centre click so you just need to use your ears. I used to run mine bass up almost full and treble about half.[/quote]
I believe this to be true too.
I run mine with bass full up and the treble rolled back a little from full to cut the sizzle.

[quote name='Hutton' post='836869' date='May 14 2010, 09:12 AM']I can only speak from my own experience with my SUB. I wouldn't dream of changing a thing. The SUB has a great sound all on it's own. I just don't understand the lack of beef comment. Mine has it in shedloads. Perhaps there is something wrong with the bass that it isn't giving out enough. I'll grant you that a change of pickguard improves the looks but apart from that I struggle to know why you would want to change anything. The SUB is what it is. It's not a Ray. I actually prefer the SUB sound to the Ray that's why I kept it and sold my Ray. I don't think that the differences are vast but the SUB has it's own sound. The SUB is also an American made quality bass. It just doesn't cost as much as a Ray. As for the weak G string - I had it on my Ray but not on the SUB. Sometimes I feel we get into a mindset of always assuming that a standard pup somehow must need replacing. However, it's all down to how we feel about our own instruments. If you can't get on with a bass, sell it on until you find the Holy Grail for you. All the best![/quote]

+2

I don´t see the pont in comparing them to Ray´s or the EB Sterling range .
The Ray is a fantastic sounding bass and will continue to be massively popular for many more years.
Its bright, snappy and has growl by the bucket.

The SUB is an amzing bass too, in its own right. The looks (for the most part) of the Ray and a sound all of its own. much more guttural and thick, but still retains brightness.
It is a US built instrument and iwas ncredible value at the time of its introduction.
I think someone here has already mentioned Mr S. Ball´s comment of including a $100 bill with each one. They were discontinued because at their price point, they were proving very popular indeed and sales of these units began to eat into sales of Rays and Sterlings. EBMM did not want to canabalise their market share, so dropped them from the product range.
I do agree that the S/H prices have gone up a bit, but this reflects the quality and rarity of the bass (based on such a short production run). It may also reflect consumer demand for traditional values i.e. Made In USA- Hence why people often ask "Where was it made?" first, when enquiring about S/H Fender, Ampeg, Marshall etc products. Because production of many familiar brands now takes place in the Far East, many doubt their quality and this pushes the S/H prices of US made gear upwards

I love the sound of my SUB and the neck is fantastic too.
The only reason mine is for sale is I am looking for one last (for a long time) new bass and the SUB is the only one I dont get to take out a lot.

I have tried the RAY34 and while I liked the look (finish is superb and the matching headstock was a nice touch) and sound of it, I felt it was a tad overpriced for what it was. Now perhaps they have come down in price since their introduction, but I know they are not for me.
As for the weak G issue-never experienced it on any MM bass I´ve played (though I haven´t played more than 4 :) )

Col

[quote name='basshead56' post='836977' date='May 14 2010, 10:58 AM']... The SUB is an amzing bass too, in its own right. The looks (for the most part) of the Ray and a sound all of its own. much more guttural and thick, but still retains brightness...[/quote]
That's it in a nutshell right there. :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='837379' date='May 14 2010, 04:48 PM']I want a cinnamon active 5 strings, anyone who has one please let me know[/quote]

There's one in Ireland if that helps :) :
[url="http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=193357&cat=191"]http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?prod...357&cat=191[/url]

Just sold my cinammon 4 string on this site.
Col

[quote name='luckman67' post='837565' date='May 14 2010, 07:54 PM']I would buy another SUB,have any of you who has one resprayed it or had the body contours put in.[/quote]

Two reasons i got my Ray34. Just saying. I just prefer this type of bass.

[quote name='faceman' post='837847' date='May 15 2010, 02:17 AM']Despite starting to feel some SUB love, I've put for sale. I've decided to make the jump to a Musicman Stingray and have a potential deal on the go. If you are interested, PM me![/quote]

Nice one.

I've seen a few SR4's i fancy, especially the black and maple ones but i feel they are too similar to what i have already. Saying that, if i saw a 2EQ Black and maple for a good price i might bit the bullet.
I feel like im definitely a MM convert now and want to stick with them........at least for this week ;-)

[quote name='luckman67' post='837565' date='May 14 2010, 07:54 PM']I would buy another SUB,have any of you who has one resprayed it or had the body contours put in.[/quote]

I stripped the neck on mine, but to be fair I don't find the slab body uncomfortable, in fact quite the contrary. The finish was starting to bother me a bit, especially as my other 2 basses are a very distressed 63 P and a Road Worn, and I was needing some shiny bassness in my life, but I got a Ray34 to sate this need so I now have a shiny fretted and a not so shiny fretless (the SUB) 'Ray. FWIW I love my SUB and actually preffered it over my old 3 band US 'Ray which I sold, if I could have sourced another one when I was looking at the Ray34 I would have got that (maybe some refinishing have had to be had if that had happened), great basses IMO.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried to make their SUB more contoured. I myself like the slab pre EB look as two of my basses have no real body contouring, my '64 Hfner violin bass & my '92 Rickenbacker 4003. My SUB is getting a lot of my playing time at the moment even though the neck is bulkier than my Ric,it does feel comfortable and easy to play.