Why become a member? ×

MusicMan SUB's

cameltoe

[quote name='Me And My Bass' post='838410' date='May 15 2010, 08:33 PM']Guys, does the standard MM stringray pickguard fit on the SUB as well?[/quote]
It practically does. I had a black 'ray p/g on my black S.U.B. (seriously sexy). It fitted perfectly but some of the screws were pushed out of alignment of you put them in one at time. I found it best to screw them all in almost all the way down then when they were all in just nip them up the last bit and they found their own optimum positions.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='luckman67' post='839204' date='May 16 2010, 08:28 PM']I was at the Northwest guitar show today at Haydock race course, & there was a black SUB for sale for £500.[/quote]

wow thats expensive for a SUB, especially if its a 4 string.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='luckman67' post='840189' date='May 17 2010, 09:06 PM']Yes it was the 4 string, but it is made in the same factory as it's more expensive counterpart using a lot of the same bits. Plus with it only being available for three years may add to it's high price on the secondhand market.[/quote]

yes indeed using a lot of the same bits that almost certainly got rejected from the stingray assembly line for being of inferior quality, im not knocking them they are good basses assuming you dont pay over the odds for one. £450 is about as much as a 5 string in mint condition is worth i think, less for a 4 obviously.

[quote name='luckman67' post='840189' date='May 17 2010, 09:06 PM']Yes it was the 4 string, but it is made in the same factory as it's more expensive counterpart using a lot of the same bits. Plus with it only being available for three years may add to it's high price on the secondhand market.[/quote]

...but for just 100 odd more you could probably find a proper stingray. The point is these were so great BECAUSE of the cheap price. 300 quid second hand was great, and a lot of bass for the money. Having owned one for over a year, i just don't think they are worth much more than that.

As I said before it's all subjective. 'One man's meat is another man's poison'. Can I also suggest that the ridiculous suggestion that SUBs are made from inferior rejected Stingray parts be posted over on the Ernie Ball forum. You'll soon find plenty of opinions on that one! It would also be interesting to know the evidence for making the suggestion in the first place.

[quote name='Hutton' post='840722' date='May 18 2010, 12:15 PM']As I said before it's all subjective. 'One man's meat is another man's poison'. C[/quote]

True but if one man pays £300 for his meat and another pays £500 for his, isnt there something wrong there? which price is right?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='840742' date='May 18 2010, 12:26 PM']True but if one man pays £300 for his meat and another pays £500 for his, isnt there something wrong there? which price is right?[/quote]

Surely people pay different prices for Precsions, Jazzes, Rays, etc etc. Who knows what a bass is worth? There are so many factors involved. Is there a right price?

Edited by Hutton

There was no inferior parts used if you look at the spec sheets for both the SUB & the Stingray, you wil see that each part is Musicman registered. The main reason for the SUB being discontinued,was that Musicman were loosing money on each bass. And as for the high secoindhand prices who would have thought that the Squier basses from 1982 would fetch £500+ now, when back in '82 they were about £199 & they were not American made. There are some good prices on Stingrays on ebay from time to time, I have seen a couple for around £780. I guess you just have to be in the right place at the right time to get a bargin.

[quote name='Hutton' post='840757' date='May 18 2010, 12:39 PM']Surely people pay different prices for Precsions, Jazzes, Rays, etc etc. Who knows what a bass is worth? There are so many factors involved. Is there a right price?[/quote]

I would have said the Subs were pretty much standardised. I know there were passive versions and 5 string versions but im pretty sure if you have two active 4 sting subs they should be worth the same amount (excluding any damage that might effect the value).

People pay different prices for P's and jazz's due to them being different. Made in USA, MIM, CAJ, vintage, Squire etc.

I do take your point about whats the correct price but i would say you base it on what he majority of sellers are asking for a particular bass. £300 - £400 seems about right to me.