Why become a member? ×

PJB "Cub" Combo

franzbassist

I was intrigued by this as soon as it was released, as it seemed the perfect fit for some of my musical activities. First and foremost, it gives me a small amp that I can use at home, either with or without headphones, for practice, but it also gives me something small and light to take to low key rehearsals and pick up gigs where the other guys in my band are playing their acoustic guitars unplugged and I don't need the full rig.

So, first impressions:

[b]BUILD QUALITY[/b]
It's [i]really[/i] nicely put together; the build quality is exemplary, with nice buffalo tolex covering, chromed corner protectors, brushed black metal parts and a nice sturdy handle on top. The power section is 100 watts running into 2 x PJB NeoPower Type A 5" drivers. It feels sturdy, even though it's only 13lbs, 12" wide, 11" deep and just under 8" tall. It has feet on the bottom and one side, so you have a choice of having the speakers horizontally or vertically.

[b]FEATURES[/b]
Like many of the current crop of combos, the amplifier section of this amp is bolted into the back of the combo (in this instance by a number of sturdy allen key headed screws). The top panel is the control centre of the amp and has all the regular controls, while power, DI etc. are on the back. Let's look at the top panel first...

Two channels (which is great, as it means I can run an electric and my upright through it at the same time), each with high and low switches to maximise the input signal; Channel A has a combo input to take an XLR or a regular 1/4" jack and the input switch selects mic/high/low, whereas Channel B is a regular 1/4" jack and the input switches between high/low or mute. Each channel also has a clip led, as well as input level, bass, middle and treble tone controls.

Next up is a nice, subtle limiter, switchable in or out; off is fully clockwise (a bit odd when everything else is the other way around) and the limiting increases as you turn it anti-clockwise. There's also a blue led that increases with intensity the harder the limiter is working

Next to this is the Aux input, which is a 3.5mm input designed to take external sources such as iPods and the like. This also has its own volume control.

A 1/4" headphones jack and master volume control finish off the main control panel.

Moving to the rear of the unit, on the left we have three outputs, specifically an XLR DI out, which features a ground lift, plus 1/4" jack line and tuner outs. To the right we have the power on/off switch input (which has no voltage selector switch to worry about) and mains plug.

[b]SOUNDS[/b]
First thing I noticed is the amp is whisper quiet when turned on, and I mean really quiet; even with the master volume up full there is barely any hiss to be heard.

Setting the gain was easy on both channels, and I found my (active) basses sounded best with the input selectors set as if they were passive instruments. This isn't unusual of course, as "always try the passive input first" is a phrase found in many a bass amp manual, and sure enough it gave a stronger signal, allowing me to coax a bit more volume out of the amp and also sounded clearer to my ears. The clip leds helped the setup no end, as rather be "on" or "off" they bled into the signal, so I could see when I was approaching clipping; basses seemed to sound best at this point.

As you might expect for something which is only 100 watts and the size of a shoebox, a loud amp this is not. It would be impossible to be heard against a drummer with this combo, but if you tried to do that you'd be missing the point of the combo completely. As I said at the start, this is for personal or low key practice, modest rehearsal volumes and the like.

To be honest, I was initially disappointed with the sound of the combo with the tone controls set flat. It sounded, well, "boxy" and a bit muddy. However, a quick play with the tone controls soon revealed the really detailed, articulate sounds that lurked within. While it's early days, I found the optimum tone control setting seemed to be bass at noon, mids cut to 9 o'clock and the treble boosted to 3 o'clock. In my living room the combo sounded terrific, filling the room with ease (master volume at 10 o'clock) with clear, punchy bass; even a low B rang through loud and clear with no breakup. The detailed, woody sounds from my Veillette fretless were present, while my Aria EUB sounded terrific. I left the limiter on at about 25%, and it was reassuring to see its led flicker on every now and then when I hit a note hard.

Plugging in my iPod, the combo became a mini hi-fi, and taking the fabric cover off the front of the cabinet showed some real sparkle to the music. It was great fun playing along to the songs I'm learning for my band at the moment, rather than the chore it often is. I also tried it with my new Sony headphones, and again everything worked well and sounded terrific.

At a low key band rehearsal, with just an acoustic guitarist (Guitar>Baggs Para DI >PA) and female vocal, we ran the DI out of the combo to the PA, while I used it at my feet as a personal monitor on stage. This worked a treat, giving me some extra definition and presence to the bass that was loud enough for me to "feel" the notes, but subtle enough to not disturb the others. A definite success in this situation.

[b]CONCLUSION[/b]
Playing along to some iPod tracks on my upright in the living room, my wife walked in, saw the Cub, and said "what is [i]that[/i]?" She went on to say she'd come in because the music sounded so good, and proceeded to take more interest in this tiny little amp than just about any other piece of kit I've ever owned! She was, first and foremost, really impressed by the quality of sound coming from such a small cabinet, but as I explained to her what else it was capable of she was even more amazed. The words "silent practice" seemed to go down very well, but she also said she wound't have a problem with it being permanently sited in the living room! :)

The Cub won't be for everyone, and at £399 it certainly isn't cheap, but if you have the need for such a facility then it's an excellent piece of kit and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

Nice review Gareth. Definitely a useful box of tricks. It's a shame they didn't put an external speaker socket so you can us e it as a head with a larger cab. Now where is my drill. :)

• 1 month later...

They now make a powered extension for this, the PB300!
[list]
[*]250W output
[*]6 x front firing speakers
[*]1 x line in jack socket
[*]1 x link out jack socket for daisy chaining more active cabs!
[*]volume control
[*]24.2 H x 12.6 W x 16.1 D inches
[*]37.4 lbs
[/list]

[quote name='walbassist' post='883904' date='Jul 2 2010, 01:00 PM']They now make a powered extension for this, the PB300!
[list]
[*]250W output
[*]6 x front firing speakers
[*]1 x line in jack socket
[*]1 x link out jack socket for daisy chaining more active cabs!
[*]volume control
[*]24.2 H x 12.6 W x 16.1 D inches
[*]37.4 lbs
[/list]

[/quote]

Looks good where did you get active cab from and what is cost if you dont mind me asking ( I have a bass buddy looks like an ideal solution)

[quote name='kjm' post='884028' date='Jul 2 2010, 02:58 PM']Looks good where did you get active cab from and what is cost if you dont mind me asking ( I have a bass buddy looks like an ideal solution)[/quote]

I googled those pics (there's also one of them using it with the Buddy), and although the cab is listed on the PJB site it won't be available until mid-August.

• 3 weeks later...

"...[u]Plugging in my iPod[/u], the combo became a mini hi-fi, and taking the fabric cover off the front of the cabinet showed some real sparkle to the music. It was great fun playing along to the songs I'm learning for my band at the moment, rather than the chore it often is. [u]I also tried it with my new Sony headphones, and again everything worked well and sounded terrific..."[/u]

Is stereo separation preserved from the aux. in to the headphones out, or is the signal summed to mono?

(If only PJB manuals were written as well as your review Gareth.)

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='901891' date='Jul 22 2010, 01:54 PM']Is stereo separation preserved from the aux. in to the headphones out, or is the signal summed to mono?[/quote]
Definitely stereo in the headphones.

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='901891' date='Jul 22 2010, 01:54 PM'](If only PJB manuals were written as well as your review Gareth.)[/quote]
:)

• 6 months later...

[quote name='jonnyj' post='1126631' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:21 AM']Anybody tried using one of these as a stage monitor whilst using the DI to go into the PA?[/quote]

I haven't. They aren't [i]that[/i] loud, so it all depends what kind of volume your band is putting out as to whether this is feasible or not.

[quote name='jonnyj' post='1126631' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:21 AM']Anybody tried using one of these as a stage monitor whilst using the DI to go into the PA?[/quote]

[quote name='walbassist' post='1126635' date='Feb 14 2011, 06:53 AM']I haven't. They aren't [i]that[/i] loud, so it all depends what kind of volume your band is putting out as to whether this is feasible or not.[/quote]

You might get away with it with electric bass if you really push the mids but not IME on DB. I use mine for low level (home) rehearsal with a pretty quiet trio, but it's completely swamped on stage at gigging volumes, even with a relatively quiet band.

C

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1130626' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:37 AM']I can't believe that a bass actually sounds like a bass out of speakers that small![/quote]

+1, pretty impressive isn't it. I can get something approximating Motown thump from it, which to my mind almost defies the laws of physics :)

C

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1130626' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:37 AM']....I can't believe that a bass actually sounds like a bass out of speakers that small!....[/quote]
That's why we keep saying you don't need 15" speakers to get a good, fat bass tone. I think PJB puts out a great sound; it's the price which is the show stopper for me!

• 7 months later...

I'm interested in getting a PJB Cub but I want to try one before I take the plunge. It's quite a lot of money just to take a punt on but there aren't any stockists out here in farming country. I'm hoping it will be pokey enough for me to use in duo gigs where my partner in crime has an acoustic guitar. Maybe a bargain second hand one is the way to go...

[quote name='Radioface' timestamp='1318853510' post='1406827']
I'm interested in getting a PJB Cub but I want to try one before I take the plunge. It's quite a lot of money just to take a punt on but there aren't any stockists out here in farming country. I'm hoping it will be pokey enough for me to use in duo gigs where my partner in crime has an acoustic guitar. Maybe a bargain second hand one is the way to go...
[/quote]
If I were you I'd drop Legion a PM. he just bought my virtually-new Cub