Why become a member? ×

Slap

'Fly Away' by Lenny Kravitz...

Complete with Auto Wah on my old Korg multi FX (AX1B?).
We did it at a gig in a dinner break in school.

The bass break from 'You Can Call Me Al' got me my Trace Elliot Boxer 65, my Dad bet me I couldn't learn it...fool.

Then I developed the Kick Drum Thumb, Index Finger Snare thing, Early Chili's then Level 42....
Later Marcus and Victor...

And I wasted a good 8 or 9 years of my 15 years playing honing and perfecting it, to find out I wouldn't be needing it much, oh well - If only i'd spent that time on theory.

I mainly now use it at work to see if amps are working, And to upset the coffee shop owner next door with the Hartke LH1000 Rig.

It's also great fun to pull it out as a party piece. May use it live, if I ever form that 80's covers band.

[quote name='RhysP' post='826300' date='May 3 2010, 11:15 AM']I'm nowhere near as good at it as I used to be but I'm enjoying doing it again, though in moderation this time. :)[/quote]

Lots of life is like that as you get older .... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='826319' date='May 3 2010, 11:39 AM']Here's MK slapping furiously on a rock n roll classic with Paul McCartney at the Prince's Trust concert in 1986. Wonder why he's been taken out of the mix?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIcLxuk8A4&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIcLxuk8A4&NR=1[/url][/quote]

How much 'Zaney' 80's dancing is going on in this clip? Skinny Bloody Jeans and wobbly legs.

You can just about hear MK clicking inbetween everyone elses beats. 12 bar Slappa da Bass.

Love the guy dearly, but i've seen clips of him slapping 'Sunshine Of Your Love' before now...

[quote name='daz' post='825864' date='May 2 2010, 08:37 PM']The right hand slap is the ones got me beat, it just sounds like someone has [b]thunked [/b]a hand down on four piano notes together. Any help anyone? Am i sposed to hit all the strings or just the E string ?[/quote]

DUH sorry i meant the [b]LEFT[/b] hand slap has got me beat. Anyone got any tips ?

Edited by daz

Just the one string your thumb is hitting or your finger is pulling

try basic drum rudiments..
For example...
right hand thumb, ( r ) left hand pat (l), r, r, l, r, l, l...

do that with octaves as well...

Edited by JTUK

I think its cool to watch and I love watching other people do it but I'm just not into music that requires it. I like heavy rock, prog rock and metal. The only slap bass in rock that I like is early Incubus and some Chilis.

I went through Ed Friedlands Slap Bass DVD which taught me a few basics and I like to have a jam in E every now and again but thats about it. I have a hard enough time just playing in finger style and I'll never use it a live performance unless I'm covering some chili peppers or something.

I have my moments where I'll feel like I should learn the style and I'll learn a few riffs but in general I think I'll leave it to the pros.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='827164' date='May 4 2010, 09:59 AM']First time I bothered with slapping was learning 'ban the tube top' by Reel Big Fish, the slap part in the chorus was easy enough for me to do, thenjust went from there.[/quote]

The horns on the intro sound like an Asda advert :)

I managed to pick up basic technique somehow, but I seem to have been stuck in a rut for ages as to where else to go with it. I guess I need to go work out some RHCP or summat???

Love playing slap though, with the right track there's nothing like it for fun!

• 2 years later...

I basically picked up the bass because of Mark King and the slap style he did on the early L42 records which I was totally addicted to. I think it helps if you do have a bit of a slap addiction as it's what you will automatically do when you pick up your bass. I don't play any slap at all in my band but as soon as I'm alone with my bass it's all I do! As for learning to do it...well I find the Rythmic drumming thing easy to do as I was once a drummer so I guess it just came naturally and I got better at it the more I did it. :)

I don't like to see aimless party trick type stuff in a abnd context for any period of time..

Fills, 2 bars licks is enough, IMO, unless you want to get into chummy riffola ala the like of Flea
but you'd have to really like the band to go down that route

I found slap on electric bass relatively easy to pick up, starting on 'thumb down' then moving to the 'thumb up' position (had to adjust the bass to get it under my armpits though :) ).

I've been slapping double bass for the last 12 months, now that's another story...

Edited by zero9

I do like a bit of slap (MK, SZ, Flea), but I am a bit rubbish at it to be honest. I've never had to play in a slap stylee in any of the bands I've been in, but I do think it is a valid technique and not something that should be swept under the carpet and be ashamed of. The thing that makes me laugh is when you go on YouTube, and see all these berks with their LED's blazing away, with the same amp settings, FX settings and even the same string gauge as MK, just imitating him. I mean, good effort and all that, but really...

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1354554441' post='1887302']
Ooooooooh how did I miss this one? I was taught how to play slap bass by Ian Dench of EMF fame.
Unbelievable but true.
[/quote]

yup, "you're unbelievable"...

Edited by mcnach

I would add - its one of those weird things where you pick up things over time. Some of the fills/techniques I use I'm not even sure what I'm doing, they are just things which I have picked up from messing around. Basically, there is a collection of little things which work, like a database, which builds up. Left hand percussive slaps can often add subtle differences but it definitely seems more "feel" orientated.

I learnt how to slap watching Les Claypool. Didn't really know what it was until that point. For about 3-4yrs after then I was so hooked on trying to be a slapping beast as I had a barmy idea that it was a mark of a great bassist. Well, whatever!! After 18yrs I am totally bored of slap. It neither excites me or impresses me anymore. The only time I enjoy playing slap is when I am jamming with my drummer and percussionist when the rest of the band members pop outside for a smoke.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1354554441' post='1887302']
Ooooooooh how did I miss this one? I was taught how to play slap bass by Ian Dench of EMF fame.
Unbelievable but true.
[/quote]

They had some boss tunes given that they were just kids. Lots of talent in that band.

I still love the fact that they got that 'What the **** was that?' sample broadcast on Radio 1 every day for f***ing ages! Kudos. :)