Why become a member? ×

Looks like it's all change, again. Gear for sale.

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='824786' date='May 1 2010, 01:07 PM']Bag end + walkabout head! Agghhhhh GAS OVERLOAD!
:-)[/quote]

LOL, know what you mean. I might be making a bit of a mistake in letting the final Bag End go, they're very sweet cabs, but then so are the Walkabouts. I've always hankered after a decent combo with a removable head, and this Mesa rig is perfect, it provides a lot of options with likely very little noticeable drop in tone in comparison with the Bag End.

I think the Bag End/Mesa combination is about as close as I've got to the perfect tone to date. Although I'd quite like it to sell for financial reasons, I'm hoping it doesn't so that I can A-B it against the Walkabout cab next weekend

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='patch006' post='825093' date='May 1 2010, 07:54 PM']Hi Chris,

Where in the westcountry are you visiting?
May be interested in the cab.[/quote]

Newton Abbott, probably via (near) Bristol at present. Which cab are you interested in?

Chris

[quote name='patch006' post='825180' date='May 1 2010, 09:48 PM']PM'd about bag end.[/quote]

Hi Patrick
Replied. Bag End is kinda on hold pending a few other deals going through for another member but I'll update on here and by PM if that changes
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

Hope all's well with you?

GAS keeps getting the better of me and I keep looking at that Mesa cab you're selling, trying to find ways to justify having one... Sadly, I do too many small pub gigs for something so OTT, but it would be great fun! :)

For someone who's gigging a lot and has transport and roadies though, surely it must be the ultimate full-range cab?

Good luck with it!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='825411' date='May 2 2010, 11:45 AM']Hi Chris,

Hope all's well with you?

GAS keeps getting the better of me and I keep looking at that Mesa cab you're selling, trying to find ways to justify having one... Sadly, I do too many small pub gigs for something so OTT, but it would be great fun! :)

For someone who's gigging a lot and has transport and roadies though, surely it must be the ultimate full-range cab?

Good luck with it!

Nik[/quote]

Well mate, I'll be passing Clackett Lane this week........

I'm very well thanks Nik, hope all's good with you mate, it's been a long time? Yep, this is a bit of a bummer really, but I'm having to be a bit ruthless with this situation. The 1516 would be perfect got the covers band, but in terms of size and tone (very hifi for something of it's size and power), it's wrong for the originals band, or perhaps it just shows up my sloppy playing more than does a 15 alone, and in a small band with a thin sound, I could do without that! I'd love to keep it, only for the response of sound guys and other musicians when it arrives at a gig; "Wow, isn't that the one McCartney plays?" I guess what I'm saying is that if it ends up staying as a result of no interest here, I won't be upset. and I'm sure I'll learn to manage the hifi side of things.

But as I said, I'll be passing Clackett's this week.........

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='825419' date='May 2 2010, 11:56 AM']Well mate, I'll be passing Clackett Lane this week........

I'm very well thanks Nik, hope all's good with you mate, it's been a long time? Yep, this is a bit of a bummer really, but I'm having to be a bit ruthless with this situation. The 1516 would be perfect got the covers band, but in terms of size and tone (very hifi for something of it's size and power), it's wrong for the originals band, or perhaps it just shows up my sloppy playing more than does a 15 alone, and in a small band with a thin sound, I could do without that! I'd love to keep it, only for the response of sound guys and other musicians when it arrives at a gig; "Wow, isn't that the one McCartney plays?" I guess what I'm saying is that if it ends up staying as a result of no interest here, I won't be upset. and I'm sure I'll learn to manage the hifi side of things.

But as I said, I'll be passing Clackett's this week.........

Cheers

Chris[/quote]
Mmmmm .... Clackett Lane. Very tempting.

Chris, have you ever considered opening a musical equipment business of some kind? :)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='825467' date='May 2 2010, 01:14 PM']Chris, have you ever considered opening a musical equipment business of some kind? :rolleyes:[/quote]

:)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='825467' date='May 2 2010, 01:14 PM']Mmmmm .... Clackett Lane. Very tempting.

Chris, have you ever considered opening a musical equipment business of some kind? :lol:[/quote]

+1

Still very tempting.. Clackett Lane has never been the same since it became one of Basschat's outreach trading posts!

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='825467' date='May 2 2010, 01:14 PM']Mmmmm .... Clackett Lane. Very tempting.

Chris, have you ever considered opening a musical equipment business of some kind? :rolleyes:[/quote]

LOL, if I had it would have gone under the day I joined Basschat! I know I have a reputation as a gear tart, but actually, having started playing about 30 years ago, taken about 20 years out, and only returned to it seriously in about 2005, this place has offered me the opportunity to try gear that otherwise I'd have only been able to dream about. However, and it's a big however, and despite what I tell Mrs Beedster, with petrol and postage, and with the all too often GAS-induced need to sell quickly to buy something else, I probably lose about 10% on every deal I do. I tend to see that 10% as a rental fee for some great gear, so I'm happy, but even the government's economic advisers would recognise that as a poor business model!

As a result of BC, I've come full circle with basses. I started with cheap Precisions, and have now ended up with two of the best vintage Precisions out there, and that's after being able to top end basses by Sadowsky, Modulus, Wal, Status, Rickenbacker, Musicman/EB, and a few that couldn't be described as top end such as Shergolds, Ibanez, and Ovation, that were all the same great instruments. I've been able to hold onto them long enough to practice, set up, rehearse and gig them, then perhaps try different strings/settings, and in all likelihood know for sure they weren't the bass for me. That's a really great thing to be able to do, and way more than you can ever get from a shop or a review.

As you may have guessed mate, since I decided to stick with the two Precisions, I'm now doing the same with amplification - not always logically I'll admit, but who said bass playing and logic need to be linked!

And the best thing is Dave, I've met some great people such as you, Nik, Clarky, Happy Jack, Marcus, Legion, King Tut, Flanker, Pete Young, Paul C (and there's a fair few gear-movers amongst that list let's face it), and dealt with many I've yet to meet such as the Bass Doc, Dr Dave, and WoT, Delberthot, BB2000, and many more (sorry if I've missed anyone of these lists), and have learned so much about basses and bass playing through doing so that it makes the 10% an even better investment!

But once again, a business model?

Now, who wants that 1516 :)

Chris

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='825495' date='May 2 2010, 01:49 PM']Clackett Lane has never been the same since it became one of Basschat's outreach trading posts![/quote]

It's never been the same to me since my lovely old Fiat caught fire on the entry slip to the Eastbound services. I drove it in thinking I'd blown something, but that all was otherwise OK. I became suspicious as people seemed to be running away as I tried to park it.

Ah, the memories

As a cab, that Boogie is a monster, IMV. I was SO pleased when I turned up and they had hired in that thing on a few occasions, rather than an Ampeg 8x10. IMV, that 1516 TOTALLY outclasses them.

A MB rig like this with 400+ against an SVT...? the cabs kills the deal, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='825609' date='May 2 2010, 04:22 PM']As a cab, that Boogie is a monster, IMV. I was SO pleased when I turned up and they had hired in that thing on a few occasions, rather than an Ampeg 8x10. IMV, that 1516 TOTALLY outclasses them.

A MB rig like this with 400+ against an SVT...? the cabs kills the deal, IMO.[/quote]

Mmmmm, I must admit, the idea of having the 2X12 Walkabout rig for most gigs with the M-Pulse 600/1516EV for the bigger ones really appeals, but I think it might be an ego thing as opposed to a technical thing? However, I look at it and think "Man, that is so much more than £350's worth of cab", and wonder whether I should simply keep it for the day when I have a bigger car and play bigger venues?

So, if no one wants it........?

[quote name='Beedster' post='824685' date='May 1 2010, 11:17 AM']I recently did something really stupid.....

I auditioned for and subsequently joined a covers act with loads of gigs lined up. They are very loud so I upgraded my gear appropriately, to a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and 1516EV. On the basis of the volume, I knew the M-Pulse was going to be called on over and above my Walkabout, and they had transport, so I was happy that the Mesa 1516 wasn't going to have to be coaxed in and out of my car four times a day.

We rehearsed intensively for a couple of weeks and I learned 34 tracks, only to realise after the first gig that this really wasn't the band for me (amazing how different people are in a gigging situation....). Luckily things have really picked up for my originals band, which is my main focus anyway, so the energy that went into learning/rehearsing the covers is now being redirected back into that.

However, we have really restricted space, the drummer doesn'[/quote]

Mods, any idea where the rest of this post went.....?

[quote name='molan' post='826017' date='May 2 2010, 11:13 PM']Your first post seems to have run out of steam half way through Chris :)[/quote]

Hey Barrie, yep, just posted a question to the mods on that 'cos it was there a while back?

[quote name='molan' post='826017' date='May 2 2010, 11:13 PM']Your first post seems to have run out of steam half way through Chris :)[/quote]

Just checked it out and I haven't edited since Saturday, and as it was definitely there this morning, who knows?

[quote name='Oldman' post='826162' date='May 3 2010, 07:53 AM']Guys, am I missing something here, have the rules changed, I thought that a price had to be posted..........It's my only reality check on gear pricing, well nearly.[/quote]

As you can see through the mysterious final few words below, someone pinched the second half of my post. Interpol and the FBI are on it :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='824685' date='May 1 2010, 11:17 AM']I recently did something really stupid.....

I auditioned for and subsequently joined a covers act with loads of gigs lined up. They are very loud so I upgraded my gear appropriately, to a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and 1516EV. On the basis of the volume, I knew the M-Pulse was going to be called on over and above my Walkabout, and they had transport, so I was happy that the Mesa 1516 wasn't going to have to be coaxed in and out of my car four times a day.

We rehearsed intensively for a couple of weeks and I learned 34 tracks, only to realise after the first gig that this really wasn't the band for me (amazing how different people are in a gigging situation....). Luckily things have really picked up for my originals band, which is my main focus anyway, so the energy that went into learning/rehearsing the covers is now being redirected back into that.

However, we have really restricted space, the drummer doesn'[/quote]