Why become a member? ×

BBC2 tomorrow night

ronnus

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00scvq9"]Tomorrow night at 2140[/url], may be of interest to some, even if the first in the series is about the singer... :)

Is it naive of me to hope for an episode dedicate to low-end rumbly types? A six part series will surely have room for the bass... Any speculation on what the other parts will be about? I'd guess drummist, guitards, bassist, manager... but that only adds up to five. Roadies? :rolleyes:

[quote name='bartelby' post='824069' date='Apr 30 2010, 02:00 PM']Not sure I agree with that description...[/quote]

they missed out ego and drama-queen, although they probably have to share those two with you know

[quote name='OldGit' post='824420' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:00 PM']There's a vote for best bassist - coming soon
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/rocknrollband/bassists/"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/rocknrollband/bassists/[/url][/quote]
The panel = Zoe Ball, Edith Bowman, Fearne Cotton, Bob Harris, Jools Holland, Greg James, Shaun Keaveny, Steve Lamacq, Lauren Laverne , Zane Lowe, Annie Mac, Stuart Maconie, Scott Mills, Huey Morgan, Nemone, Mark Radcliffe, Jonathan Ross, Huw Stephens, Jo Whiley.

With such notable and learned musical heavyweights as these you just know the outcome is going to impact our lives in such a big way. :)

I'll give Mark Radcliffe the benifit of the doubt though. :rolleyes:

Today's issue of "Playlist" (with The Times) made the following observation;

[i]"What about the poor old bassist, charged with the often thankless task of filling out his group's sonic tableaux with some 'bottom end'? Alas, bassists are taken care of in the episode that deals in general terms with 'the other one' - the members who, though not always recognisable, are essential to the chemistry of their group."[/i]

Sadly, I fear the role of the bassist may (in typical fashion) find itself being dumbed down and glossed over in this series, but I'll probably watch it anyway, just in case. :)

I feel it's only fair to point out that a million vocalists and wannabe vocalists the length and breadth of the country are right now expressing their total disbelief that a snooker semi-final could possibly be more important than their hopes and aspirations ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='825178' date='May 1 2010, 09:46 PM']I feel it's only fair to point out that a million vocalists and wannabe vocalists the length and breadth of the country are right now expressing their total disbelief that a snooker semi-final could possibly be more important than their hopes and aspirations ...[/quote]

hahaha, makes up for being one of the shadowy other ones

For a series that relegates bassists to the role of 'other' they sure had a lot of bassists in the frontman episode.

I'd totally agree with their analysis that Mick Jagger was the first frontman. Not sure what else they were on about. I find it strange that they didn't mention Ozzy at all but then with a show like that there are always going to be people left out.

EDIT: Just been on the BBC site to consider casting a vote. No Jim Morrison!

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='825449' date='May 2 2010, 12:53 PM']For a series that relegates bassists to the role of 'other' they sure had a lot of bassists in the frontman episode.

I'd totally agree with their analysis that Mick Jagger was the first frontman. Not sure what else they were on about. I find it strange that they didn't mention Ozzy at all but then with a show like that there are always going to be people left out.

EDIT: Just been on the BBC site to consider casting a vote. No Jim Morrison![/quote]
I understood why Jagger was thought of as 'first frontman' but, as was said, he was very influenced by James Brown. So it seems to me there were frontmen before Jagger - e.g. James Brown and many others - although I can see that it might be argued that the predecessors were not the frontmen of a group in quite the same way.

My son made the same point as you about Morrison. He had to vote for Iggy.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='825471' date='May 2 2010, 01:20 PM']I didn't watch it, are you allowed frontmen that play guitar/bass/drums in this series?

Hendrix wasn't a great vocalist but one hell of a frontman.[/quote]

You're allowed Sting. No other frontmen from the show were allowed to play an instrument it seems.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='825463' date='May 2 2010, 01:11 PM']I understood why Jagger was thought of as 'first frontman' but, as was said, he was very influenced by James Brown. So it seems to me there were frontmen before Jagger - e.g. James Brown and many others - although I can see that it might be argued that the predecessors were not the frontmen of a group in quite the same way.[/quote]

There were rock n' roll performers before Jagger - but as you say they weren't the frontmen of bands.

Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Elvis (the first rock star?), James Brown etc.