Why become a member? ×

Sandberg PM4 Custom Shop- my new toy!!

Old Horse Murphy

I bought this bass off Me and My Bass (Chris) last week and it arrived safely on Thursday.

To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like the active electronics as I have found them too harsh to my ears compared to passives. However, after plugging it in, I was very pleasantly surprised and decided to gig with it on Friday night.

It sounds amazing and to my eye looks pretty cool too. I certainly didn't buy it for the relic job (it was too good a price to miss out on) but I am impressed exactly how subtle it is. I'm also told it looks great from the audience too!! A guy on Friday actually said that it looked like it had been my main go-to bass for the last 10 years or so.

The neck is probably similar in dimensions to my old Lakland Duck Dunn, but string spacing can be adjusted to either Jazz or P Bass spacing depending on preference.

It's incredibly light too (lighter than my 2008 Fender P Bass) and a joy to play.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='gary mac' post='817921' date='Apr 25 2010, 11:03 AM']Impressive, that looks like a beaut.

I know you say it is light, do you know the weight? Just interested as I'm having problems when gigging at the moment, and I have been considering lighter options.

Cheers, Gary[/quote]

I'll weigh it properly after for you Gary, but I would say it's around 8lbs. It certainly is very comfortable. We played for nearly 3 hours on Friday and I had no issues whatsoever.

[quote name='Clarky' post='817988' date='Apr 25 2010, 12:23 PM']Thats really nice Nick - congrats. I like the dots on the neck too, unusual for a Sandberg (I tend to think their dot-free necks look bare). Looks like my bass, Sid's, steroid-boosted cousin![/quote]

Thanks Clarky. I knew you'd approve :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='818066' date='Apr 25 2010, 02:04 PM']Congrats, Nick - Those top of range PM's are really nice basses with a huge dark sound to them as well. I always play the "Supreme" model whenever I go to Electro Music. :)[/quote]

Thanks Rich. I must say I took a punt on this as I didn't know a huge amount about Sandbergs and am totally blown away by the build quality, sound and playability

Nice one Nick. I sent you a PM before seeing this thread so just ignore it if you want to.

Im with Clarky on the dots thing. Thats always put me off Sandbergs. This looks almost normal.

It sounds like i may have to investigate a Sandberg again before i go and buy something i dont really need. As im going through a Stingray phase but still loving the good old P tone this type of bass seems ideal. You dont see many of them come up with the dots (and even less with the inlays )

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='818066' date='Apr 25 2010, 02:04 PM']Congrats, Nick - Those top of range PM's are really nice basses with a huge dark sound to them as well. I always play the "Supreme" model whenever I go to Electro Music. :)[/quote]
Funnily enough, I was in Electromusic on Saturday and was very impressed with the PM4 they had ... guess it was the Supreme you're talking about.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='818770' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:24 AM']Funnily enough, I was in Electromusic on Saturday and was very impressed with the PM4 they had ... guess it was the Supreme you're talking about.

Andy[/quote]

I had a go on this very same bass yesterday....must be one of the most played shop bound Sandbergs in the uk!

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the new shop layout (i.e. moving the basses downstairs) in Electro - there isn't room to swing a cat now and it's near impossible to have a quick noodle thru an amp with everyone trying to squeeze past you.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='819514' date='Apr 26 2010, 03:43 PM']It's done at the bridge with the saddles Chris, but thinking logically it wouldn't have much effect at the nut end. It does make a difference though.[/quote]

Ah, confused me for a second. Precision and Jazz are the same spacing at the bridge so I thought you had some clever nut on there that could adjust between Fender A, B and C widths or something - I was getting GAS!

Nice bass mate

Chris

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='817938' date='Apr 25 2010, 11:16 AM']I'll weigh it properly after for you Gary, but I would say it's around 8lbs. It certainly is very comfortable. We played for nearly 3 hours on Friday and I had no issues whatsoever.[/quote]
Thanks that would be appreciated.

Cheers, Gary

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='820837' date='Apr 27 2010, 04:51 PM']Hey Nick.

Do you know if this bass will run without a battery in it (passively of course).

Still enjoying it?[/quote]

Hi Dave

It has a Passive Bypass by pulling out the volume switch. I'm not sure if it would run without a battery in it but I guess it would.