Why become a member? ×

Musical Geniuses

Pete Academy

[quote name='pete.young' post='821193' date='Apr 27 2010, 09:13 PM']This from the man who proposed Shakin' Stevens?

Dunno if there's an award for the most pointless thread on Basschat ever, but for my money this is a clear winner.[/quote]

Pete, I think you're missing the point of the thread. This is how Wikipedia describes genius:

"A genius (plural genii or geniuses,[1] adjective ingenious) is a person, a body of work, or a singular achievement of surpassing excellence. More than just originality, creativity, or intelligence, genius is associated with achievement of insight which has transformational power. A work of genius fundamentally alters the expectations of its audience. Genius may be generalized, or be particular to a discrete field such as philosophy, sports, statesmanship, science, or the arts.

Although difficult to quantify, genius is a level of aptitude, capability, or achievement which exceeds even that of most other exceptional contemporaries in the same field. The normal distribution suggests that the term might be applied to phenomena ranked in the top 0.1%, i.e. three standard deviations or greater, among peers. In psychology, the inventor of the first IQ tests, Alfred Binet, applied the term to the top 0.1% of those tested.[2][3] This usage of the term is closely related to the general concept of intelligence."

I was just wondering who in the musical world might warrant this description.

The thread's hardly pointless.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='821471' date='Apr 28 2010, 08:06 AM'][b]
...A work of genius fundamentally alters the expectations of its audience....[/b]
[b]
...achievement which exceeds even that of most other exceptional contemporaries in the same field...[/b][/quote]

With a bit of snipping I've selected these two bits of that definition you posted and I reckon Hendrix and the Beatles both fit the bill.

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='821482' date='Apr 28 2010, 08:20 AM']With a bit of snipping I've selected these two bits of that definition you posted and I reckon Hendrix and the Beatles both fit the bill.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm sure a fair few classical composers fit the bill. In popular music my choice would be Stevie Wonder.

I tend to think of genius in terms of stretching the envelope. For that I have to mention Michael Manring (I have only one of his recordings and never listen to it but I am impressed with his vision and focus).

Trouble with a lot of the suggestions so far is that it is easy to see a chain of events that made their innovations almost inevitable. Charlie Parker and John Coltrane got the kudos but their ideas had precedent (Lester Young, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Wardell Grey). Same with Mingus (Ellington), Gil Evans (Claude Thornhill), Miles (Roy Eldridge). Many of these innovations were the consequence of a collective at a time when exploration was encouraged and nurtured. No one person is responsible, even if teh cult of personality says otherwise.

Its when someone comes out of left field that I am impressed. There are very few. Monk definately - his concept was complete and entirely his own. After that, I struggle.

[quote name='Wil' post='821573' date='Apr 28 2010, 09:57 AM']Definately! His music is so unique and he really pushed the boundaries.[/quote]
And he inspired this GENIUS tune!

Sends shivers down my spine...check out Jim the bass player!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='821471' date='Apr 28 2010, 08:06 AM']Pete, I think you're missing the point of the thread. This is how Wikipedia describes genius:[/quote]
Don't patronise me. I understand perfectly well the definition of 'genius', and if I didn't I'm quite capable of looking it up for myself.

There is no point to this thread - it's entirely subjective and serves no purpose.

[quote name='pete.young' post='822533' date='Apr 28 2010, 10:46 PM']Don't patronise me. I understand perfectly well the definition of 'genius', and if I didn't I'm quite capable of looking it up for myself.

There is no point to this thread - it's entirely subjective and serves no purpose.[/quote]

If that's the case, it probably sums up quite a few others then, doesn't it?

For me, the word genius applies to someone who takes a left turn and ends up somewhere else almost by instinct.

Having seen Abe L play, I'd be more inclined to apply the word genius to him that some of the others here....as in, how the f*** did he get to doing that. It is not contrived, it is just an 'arrival' to that place.
I would consider Gazza a footballing genius as things on the pitch made sense to him and were far and away beyond so many others. And he certainly didn't arrive there by thinking it through..it just came to him.

I think Mickelson is a genius with his short golf game as in outrageous god given talent. Basically, you have one man in a field of excellence and he does things to stand WAY above them.
I understand this can be a bit blurry, so it is best it ( the act of a 'genius' ) remains subjective to whoever it appeals to.

[quote name='Duarte' post='822315' date='Apr 28 2010, 07:01 PM']And he inspired this GENIUS tune!

Sends shivers down my spine...check out Jim the bass player![/quote]

Love that band.
They're not the same since Steven Page left.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' post='823259' date='Apr 29 2010, 06:07 PM']Love that band.
They're not the same since Steven Page left.[/quote]

They're not the same, but they're still bloody good. Kevin is singing a lot more, and his voice is awesome.

I have all their albums, and their new one is great too. I refer you to this track...quite strange I must say, but sweet none the less.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztZO4KGeA8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztZO4KGeA8[/url]