Why become a member? ×

Special Spector NS5 Ltd Ed Water aged Redwood

GreeneKing

Hiya all Bass Chatters, I've been a bit quiet of late but for good rreason. New lady in my life, moved, very involved in my 2nd work placement, taken up motorcycling again having thought 'that's it' 3 years ago (that's what you get for falling for a biker). Life's good and less BC for me is about having more 'life' i.e. a good thing :)

I'm still playing and far from having over 20 basses as of old only one bass gets a look in nowadays, my Status Empathy 5 with 15mm spacing. It's so right for me that Alan (Skelf) is making me a headless Ghallus with the same spacing.

So my rather special NS5 Lt Ed is up for sale. It has a John East U Retro fitted to add tonal range in comparison to the original Spector unit. It is in great condition and is rather special (ask a few who've played it).

I've borrowed Alanbass1's pics to get the thread started but will add my own in a bit. The bass comes with a Spector hard case, a Comfort Strapp and two new sets of Newtone strings with a tapered B.

The Spector Limited Edition Redwood Burl NS-5XL is crafted with 75-to-100 year-old, water-cured redwood burl. The burl rests on a platform of Spector's legendary hand-selected, premium exotic woods: maple for the neck and black walnut for the body wings. Water-cured redwood is harvested from the stumps of redwood trees cut down 75-100 years ago that fell into streams. These trunks were submerged in water the entire time, which washed all the resins out of the wood and replaced them with dissolved minerals. This natural mineral enrichment process is what gives the wood its unique color and density. This natural water curing is very similar to the method that has been used for curing violin woods in Europe for hundreds of years.

Unlike these photos it has gold and black knobs. Collection preferred, can deliver a reasonable distance/meet up halfway from Kendal. £2,200

The U-Retro 01 specs can be viewed here:

[url="http://www.east-uk.com/"]http://www.east-uk.com/[/url]

Here's one of the knobs:

and one alongside the white LX

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Scoop' post='812919' date='Apr 20 2010, 07:36 PM']Spectacular Peter.

Good luck with the sale. You can buy with confidence, folks, Peter is one of the really good guys.[/quote]
Yup. That white one's nice, which lucky bleeder got that? I'd have this one off you too, but I'm about £2,200 too short :)

Spector & East, gentlemen - a classic combo.

Edited by johnnylager

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='molan' post='828457' date='May 5 2010, 02:15 PM']I think this was mine for a while so i can attest to just how nice it is.

Really 'playable' and great depth of tone :)[/quote]

It is indeed 'that bass' :rolleyes:

The 3EQ U retro hasn't diminished the clarity, playability or depth of tone. It has however given the option of adding mids to it as well.

Pedro

I really miss my Spectors :)

If I hadn't gone back to 4's then I'd definitely have kept at least one NS5XL in the toy cupboard :rolleyes:

I found a new 4 string one of these water cured beuaties up for sale recently and was seriously tempted!

I really miss my Spectors :)

If I hadn't gone back to 4's then I'd definitely have kept at least one NS5XL in the toy cupboard :rolleyes:

I found a new 4 string one of these water cured beuaties up for sale recently and was seriously tempted!

Thank you all. I'll maybe take some good photo this weekend to show what a special bass this one is.

I was selling because I wasn't using it. Now the money would come in handy to be honest. Studenthood is long and income meagre. This really is value for money given the quality, stunning and fairly rare finish and the tone. Ask Joe (Toasted) what it sounds and plays like :)

Given the above change of circumstances I would consider some interesting basses thrown in with cash too.

Pedro

This is my favourite bass, out of the very many I've played over the years, this one is the best of the best.

First time I picked it up I could feel the vibe before I even plugged it in. Pure quality. Plug it in and you're away with the fairies, absolute magic. Power, tone, versitility, craftsmanship all rolled in to one.

I can't stress enough how much I love this bass, and how gutted I am that I'll never own it :) .