Why become a member? ×

Which Valve amp?

AirTightEddie

Hi,
I could do with some advice on what sort of valve rig to buy. I live in Guernsey so no shops to check stuff out in, plus I need to try it at a practice to know what it really sounds like. I mostly play classic rock. I use a Stingray. My budget is around the £2000 mark. I've been leaning towards the Orange AD200 with the 4x10 and 1x15 from what I've read so far.
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Edited by AirTightEddie

[quote name='AirTightEddie' post='809044' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:31 PM']Hi,
I could do with some advice on what sort of valve rig to buy. I live in Guernsey so no shops to check stuff out in, plus I need to try it at a practice to know what it really sounds like. I mostly play classic rock. I use a Stingray. My budget is around the £2000 mark. I've been leaning towards the Orange AD200 with the 4x10 and 1x15 from what I've read so far.
Any help appreciated, thanks.[/quote]

Orange, or Matamp. I personally love the Orange.

I chose Orange over Ampeg SVT CL and VR due to a good hour test where the Orange won me over. Plus, it can do 8 ohms, doesn't weigh as much as the Ampegs, looks awesome and the tube grind is purely awese even at low levels if you want it.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='809081' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:24 AM']Orange, or Matamp. I personally love the Orange.

I chose Orange over Ampeg SVT CL and VR due to a good hour test where the Orange won me over. Plus, it can do 8 ohms, doesn't weigh as much as the Ampegs, looks awesome and the tube grind is purely awese even at low levels if you want it.[/quote]

+1 although I have an orange valve guitar amp. In my opnion orange are the way to go for valve amps, although I realise that they arnt for everyones taste.

Marshall VBA is nice, although it's to dark and of a hard rock tone I find. Ampeg SVT CL would the choice out of them all, and well it's going to sound like an ampeg.

Ashdown also also has the BTA 400 though i've not heard or played one myself.

If I was willing to cope with it then I would go for the aforementioned Orange rig, although I'm surious as to what it would sound like which two 1x15 cabs.

[quote name='Hamster' post='809094' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:56 AM']With that budget, a Mesa 400+ and a Barefaced Big Baby with a Big Baby sub. With a Stingray that rig will sound awesome.[/quote]
+1 on the Mesa 400+.
I used one with a stingray5 and a powerhouse 4x10 for about 5 years, the sound was awesome.
I have now downgraded to a Mesa m6 carbine and I do miss the wall of sound.

[quote name='SS73' post='809059' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:48 PM']MATAMP, or wait for the new Burman ( this could be a wait though, guitars come first ), Or as I have done, find a nice 70's SVT and be very content.[/quote]
I wouldn't get too excited. Gregg didn't mention there are any recent developments when I asked him a couple of weeks ago.

There's a guy in Germany, Max Weber, who builds Hiwatt Clones but with some clever improvements, less weight, DI-OUT, adjustable bias etc. Check out his website [url="http://www.weber-amps.de/en/index.html"]http://www.weber-amps.de/en/index.html[/url]. I play the 200 Watt Version which is very similar to a Hiwatt DR201, 4*KT88. It sounds exactly like the DR201.

Highly recommended !

[quote name='Musicman20' post='809081' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:24 AM']Orange, or Matamp. I personally love the Orange.

I chose Orange over Ampeg SVT CL and VR due to a good hour test where the Orange won me over. Plus, it can do 8 ohms, doesn't weigh as much as the Ampegs, looks awesome and the tube grind is purely awese even at low levels if you want it.[/quote]

personally i'd avoid the new orange / ampeg type stuff when you can get something handbuilt with much higher quality of components with a better warranty and higher reliability for the same price or less.

[quote name='umph' post='809334' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:22 PM']personally i'd avoid the new orange / ampeg type stuff when you can get something handbuilt with much higher quality of components with a better warranty and higher reliability for the same price or less.[/quote]

there's nothing wrong with Orange, beside personal preference, the ad200 is a fine piece of kit. And ampeg QC issues at the mo.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='809342' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:38 PM']there's nothing wrong with Orange, beside personal preference, the ad200 is a fine piece of kit. And ampeg QC issues at the mo.[/quote]

The Orange warranty I got was extended to 3 years, plus I find Orange customer service to be spot on. Very helpful and willing to help out.

I have nothing against custom, ESP Matamp and i would like to go down that route but I wouldn't sell the Orange for it. As daft as it seems, the big brand 'push' of Orange means I have no worries should I ever have to sell.

Plus, the whole look of the full rig is just the best. Yes, I'm vain :)

Hello AirTightEddie,
Welcome to Basschat!

I own and use a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ into 2 x Barefaced Compact cabs (1x15" each - well worth a look). I also own and use a 3eq Stingray through said setup playing classic rock, punk & metal.
That particular setup is really, really nice sounding and I would recommend it highly. It's also well within your budget.

The only 'err' is that the Mesa Bass 400+ amp is no longer made so second hand is the only way to get one now. That and the re-valve costs are pretty high due to the 12 x Power amp valves.
Also be aware that is is one LOUD beast of an amp staying clean sounding up to some pretty frightening volumes. If you want, and need, some valve 'grind' distortion from the amp then the 400+ may not be the one for you.

If I were in your shoes I would defo talk to Matamp as their valve amps look, sound and are built to be the business. The fact that they can can be spec'd and built to your liking is even more of a bonus.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Jon

[quote name='AirTightEddie' post='809044' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:31 PM']My budget is around the £2000 mark.[/quote]

Good stuff! That's enough for just about any rig you can think of.

What type of sound are you looking for? You say Classic Rock but are we talking late 60s overdriven Marshall or 70s Ampeg SVT territory?

Also, what size venues do you play to? And how big is your car - and do you have any back problems?

Well.You would have to try the amp before you buy it right?
So,what i would recommend for trying:
-Orange AD200,obvious choice.
-Ampeg SVT of any kind.(You try anyone of the 300w tubeheads,just to see if you like it,and be sure to buy an American made)
-If you get a chance to try a Matamp it might work too.
Lots of people say Matamp sound great,BUT,also,lots of people have have had them tweaked to their liking.So one doesn't have to sound the same as the other.

My point.Listen to what you like,and buy that.Choose ONLY from what you have heard/tried your self.(With your bass and your finger so to speak)

[quote name='Anders' post='810200' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:54 AM']Well.You would have to try the amp before you buy it right?
So,what i would recommend for trying:
-Orange AD200,obvious choice.
-Ampeg SVT of any kind.(You try anyone of the 300w tubeheads,just to see if you like it,and be sure to buy an American made)
-If you get a chance to try a Matamp it might work too.
Lots of people say Matamp sound great,BUT,also,lots of people have have had them tweaked to their liking.So one doesn't have to sound the same as the other.

My point.Listen to what you like,and buy that.Choose ONLY from what you have heard/tried your self.(With your bass and your finger so to speak)[/quote]

This is good advice, choose what speaks to you in terms of tone. Ampeg doesnt do it for me, although Id still love a proper vintage SVT. The Orange IS right for me, as it has stacks of warmth, good looks, 8 ohm capability, plug in and play tone, brilliant tube grind at low levels.

We play alot of Zepplin and Sabbath so the 70's sound is what I'm after. Average sized pub gigs are what we do mostly. Gig transport is no problem as we all drive vans.
I've been led to belive that Ampeg don't make them like they used to, that the company was bought out and the quaility suffered, not sure if there's any truth in that.
Cheers fotr the advice, it's alot of help.

[quote name='AirTightEddie' post='810783' date='Apr 18 2010, 09:43 PM']We play alot of Zepplin and Sabbath so the 70's sound is what I'm after. Average sized pub gigs are what we do mostly. Gig transport is no problem as we all drive vans.
I've been led to belive that Ampeg don't make them like they used to, that the company was bought out and the quaility suffered, not sure if there's any truth in that.
Cheers fotr the advice, it's alot of help.[/quote]

Me neither but I know the QC issues are true, I've tried my old guitar teacher new SVT CL, it just sounded thin like something that was missing something, although another sounded like I expected.

Although Orange AD200, I've tried a few all sounded roughly same, although one through a 8x10, another 4x10 and another a 1x15.