Why become a member? ×

From 99% Finger-Style to 90% Pick-Style

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='807412' date='Apr 15 2010, 05:36 PM']I love the almost complete control I have over fast runs, tone, attack, pinch harmonic accents, and most of all damping. I can't really see me going back to fingers.[/quote]
I find almost the opposite. Ain't music great? :)

edited to add- also part of the reason I suck so much at guitar.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

I too am enjoying a fingers Vs Pick ratio swap! I've been mainly a fingers player for the last - only knows how long - But I am really enjoying using a pick with my 6er. I'll give a big +1 to the Paul Gilbert videos. I also like using the John Petrucci vids for pick exercises too. - I don't just mean for shred either. It takes skill to play fast and accurate, but it takes restraint and control to play in the pocket.

[quote name='MythSte' post='808435' date='Apr 16 2010, 02:15 PM']I really love the pick tone - but my hand cramps up so quickly when using a pick and i simply dont have the patience to try and get used to pick style! I wish i did... Any advice on fast tracking is appreciated![/quote]

A fast track way of playing with a pick?

Bearing in mind that I pretty much never use a pick..... I was doing theatre show a couple of years ago and a bunch of
the numbers stated pick and palm mute. So I grabbed a pick out of my case(I always carry some) and played them.
In that situation you don't have the option to mess up,so you just do it. There is nothing like a bit of pressure to push
you into doing something right first time.
I still rarely play with a pick,but I know that I can if need be. I really like the sound of a pick with palm mute.

I usually use anything between about 1.1 to 1.5mm. Usually Dunlop,although I really like the Ibanez Steve Vai
model. I don't like picks that flex a lot,I prefer them to be fairly rigid.