Why become a member? ×

From The Jam

sshorepunk

The two remianing members of the Jam are back on the road, I've heard they are good!
Looks like I've got a photopass for this and I may have the chance to fire a questions out to Bruce, so if you want anything asking, let me know

Here's a press release issued last week...

[b]For immediate release, London, England -

Two-thirds of the original line-up of The Jam, have confirmed BBC Radio London's Gary Crowley as special guest DJ at their Birmingham, London and Brighton concerts on their forthcoming autumn UK tour. Crowley was one of the first British radio DJ's to champion The Jam.

Due to public demand, Foxton and Buckler will embark on a 24-date nationwide autumn UK tour, that starts at the Ipswich Regent's Theatre on Wednesday November 21st.

The band's London Forum show on December 19th is sold out, and as a result, a second London Forum show (December 20th) has been added.

Tickets have also just gone on sale for the band's newly announced concert at the Oxford Carling Academy on Thursday November 22nd

Earlier this year, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler reformed the band under the moniker of "From The Jam", and initiated a 20-date sold-out UK May tour to rave reviews.

Foxton and Buckler will perform in some of the major cities for the first time since time in 25 years since the original line-up with Paul Weller disbanded in 1982. The 25th anniversary cities include Manchester, London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester and Brighton. The new four-piece line-up includes Bruce Foxton (bass, vocals), Rick Buckler (drums), Dave Moore (keyboards, guitar), and Russell Hastings who replaces Weller on lead vocals and guitar.

"When we performed the Jam classics on the May 2007 tour, we couldn't believe how well the songs still hold together," says Bruce Foxton, the original bassist for the Jam. FTJ will perform all of the Jam's classics on the autumn tour including Down At The Tube Station At Midnight, Town Called Malice, Eton Rifles, Smithers Jones, Going Underground, That's Entertainment and News of the World.

Tickets for the autumn tour can be ordered from the Ticket Hotline: 0870 264 3333, or book online from [url="http://www.seetickets.com/"]http://www.seetickets.com/[/url]
[url="http://www.fromthejam.net/"]http://www.fromthejam.net/[/url]
[/b]

Tony

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='87323' date='Nov 12 2007, 02:00 PM']Thanks for the Heads Up. 4 Dec it is for me.[/quote]

I've got tickets to the Rock City gig on 4th December. Really looking forward to it. Its a shame there's no Weller, of course, but I can't wait to see Foxton banging out those classic bass lines - that's what made me first pick up a bass 25 (+) years ago!

Bruce said in a guitar mag interview a few years ago that he put the fender pickup in the Rick because he wanted the Rick looks and the fender sound, "but it doesnt quite work like that" was his quote if I remember. He also said that once the Jam started to get well known he had Ricks coming out of the woodwork from Rickenbacker becaues he had a Aria/Rick copy and they gave him the real thing, so he could afford to mess around with them.
P.S Saw them at Cambridge Junction earlier in the year and the place nearly self combusted. There is a video clip from that gig on their Myspace site and its good quality. Might try to get to De Montford hall in Leicester on 1 dec.

[quote name='billynoband' post='89234' date='Nov 16 2007, 09:06 AM']Might try to get to De Montford hall in Leicester on 1 dec.[/quote]

Great venue, went to see Jethro Tull there last year. Will FTJ now be an all seated gig though? That'd really kill the atmosphere IMO

I hope not :) , if I remember rightly the seats were always folded up at the side when we used to watch punk bands there when we were teenagers. The poly and the uni in Leicester were always good venues too which dont seem to get used for gigs anywhere near as much as they used too by well known bands. From what I see on the net small venues seem very active though in the town (the shed and The Charlotte) .Most well known bands seem to avoid Leicester now when touring which is surprising as there is a large population. My favorite memory from De Montford hall, The Ramones in 81 or 82 i think, stuck against the radiators at the front of the stage. The rads were on full as well.

I saw them in Belfast last Saturday. Absolutely brilliant. A very intimate venue as well.

A chance to stand mere feet away from one of my bass heros for a whole gig. And all for under £20! :)

If anyone is having any doubts about going just because Paul Weller isn't there, just go! You won't be dissapointed.

Hey there.

Spotted a few comments about the Jam and thought I would shout out a reply.

Oddly enough, my band, Rosalita supported them earlier in the year when they played The Waterfront in Norwich. I thought the show they put on was great, although it did come at a fair price for those paying, I thought. I believe it was £16 a ticket and on their most recent dates I think it's even more. Still, not that expensive compared to some recent gigs.

Just to get a plug in here... Rosalita released our debut single., Manga Girl on Monday which can be downloaded from iTunes. If you wanna have a listen first, please all feel free to have a look at;

www.myspace.com/rosalitaband

Jay

I've had the pleasure of pointing my camera at these guys for two of their gigs and will probably do another one this week.
They sound great, very tight, the sounds sound real good, everyone I've spoke to at the gigs enjoyed it, just heard one geezer saying it was sgit without weller!

Bruce Foxton is a great player, probably the finest pick player I've heard for a long time!

For info, Bruce is using a black P bass through a Marshall stack with 3 Boss pedals, a TU2, chorus and distortion (I think)

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='101829' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:46 PM']I've had the pleasure of pointing my camera at these guys for two of their gigs and will probably do another one this week.
They sound great, very tight, the sounds sound real good, everyone I've spoke to at the gigs enjoyed it, just heard one geezer saying it was sgit without weller!

Bruce Foxton is a great player, probably the finest pick player I've heard for a long time!

For info, Bruce is using a black P bass through a Marshall stack with 3 Boss pedals, a TU2, chorus and distortion (I think)

Tony[/quote]

Great photo!

I saw them in Nottingham last week. As you say, Foxton is an outstanding pick player. Fantastic sound, and lots of energy - I hardly noticed Weller wasn't there!

[quote name='cardinaljay' post='102358' date='Dec 10 2007, 08:05 PM']Great pic Tony!

However, I am sure he was using TWO Ampeg rack heads through an 8x10 when we played with them in Norwich. (may be one was a spare). To be honest, it lacked that classic "bite" he had back in the day. I wouldn't be surprised if he has changed to Marshall.

Jay[/quote]

He was certainly using a Marshall stack at Nottingham last week.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='originalfunster' post='104544' date='Dec 14 2007, 11:15 PM']It looks like the same P bass he used whilst he was with SLF.........off to see them at the forum on the 19th which is where he gave me his plectrum after I asked him for His Fender....[/quote]

MB1. :)

Good Job! you didnt ask him for the shirt off his back then! :huh:

[quote name='MB1' post='110005' date='Dec 27 2007, 07:37 PM']MB1. :)

Good Job! you didnt ask him for the shirt off his back then! :huh:[/quote]

One too many beers that night..... only just able to stand when I asked him for it......lol
I was convinced I was getting the Fender at the end of the gig though when he came over to us............... and then handed me the plectrum.

Really enjoyed from the jam the other night, but there was something lacking................ Weller!!!