Why become a member? ×

New Marcus Album

Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' post='799804' date='Apr 8 2010, 01:57 PM']The new Marcus Miller live album 'A Night in Monte Carlo'
is brilliant.[/quote]

Oooo, thanks for the headsup.

EDIT: Listening to the album now.... nice. Interesting with the orchestra.

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='799934' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:16 PM']YOU ARE JEALOUS OF HIS FREEDOMS![/quote]

I am not quite sure what that is supposed to mean but there is nothing to his playing that I am jealous of. All I am saying is that his music (note: not bass playing) leaves me wanting more from him and the band. It bores the life out of me.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='799958' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:36 PM']Freedoms? :)[/quote]

They are like those things you get for a quid in the pub toilet, except they have no knobbly bits, don't taste of black pepper vodka or curry, are they are FREE.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='799956' date='Apr 8 2010, 04:36 PM']I thought the first album with Teen Town on was amazing.[/quote]

..Although technically,it was on his third solo album :)

I think everyone probably knows my thoughts on Marcus already,so before this becomes a
debate on whether he's ace or not,I just want to say that if you don't like him already,you probably
still won't. But....hearing his band being augmented by the Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra is just
supremely cool,and adds a lot of weight and brings a new vibe to the music.

I must admit although i can't do any of that technical doo dah bass stuff i do like a bit of Marcus and one of my favourite albums was that other live album he did, i think Tokyo-just love the solo in summertime. I may even look at getting this new album. I must admit though some other instruments apart from the bass are occasionally super duper cheese in an uncool way :)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Doddy' post='800019' date='Apr 8 2010, 05:33 PM']..Although technically,it was on his third solo album :rolleyes:

I think everyone probably knows my thoughts on Marcus already,so before this becomes a
debate on whether he's ace or not,I just want to say that if you don't like him already,you probably
still won't. But....hearing his band being augmented by the Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra is just
supremely cool,and adds a lot of weight and brings a new vibe to the music.[/quote]

I know, I know :) His first two were crap.

I was really excited about 'Silver Rain', but when I listened to it I thought it was just the same old thing. I actually prefer Victor Wooten's Soul Circus, which IMO had some good songs.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='800119' date='Apr 8 2010, 07:46 PM']Am I too old to understand this? Freedoms? Are they a brand of trousers or trainers? Help!!![/quote]

I don't know.
Maybe they are the limited edition Marcus Miller Levi's that were only
available in Japan.

......and I have looked everywhere for :)

[quote name='uzzell' post='799844' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:43 PM']This album, like much of his stuff is over-rated. I dont doubt he is an OK bass player but his music leaves me feeling cold and bored.[/quote]

Each to their own.

I did find the statement that he was an OK bass player highly amusing. Makes one wonder what you have to do to be a good bass player :) But like I said, each to their own.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='800313' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:31 PM']Each to their own.

I did find the statement that he was an OK bass player highly amusing. Makes one wonder what you have to do to be a good bass player :) But like I said, each to their own.[/quote]

I suppose its just a stylisitc thing. At the end of the day, its all subjective and the bass players that I really rate get little to no mention on these sites. Its no big deal, its jut that MM isnt my thing.

[quote name='uzzell' post='800322' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:35 PM']I suppose its just a stylisitc thing. At the end of the day, its all subjective and the bass players that I really rate get little to no mention on these sites. Its no big deal, its jut that MM isnt my thing.[/quote]

Not wishing to derail this thread - but out of interest, which bass players are you talking about, would like to check them out ?

[quote name='purpleblob' post='800333' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:40 PM']Not wishing to derail this thread - but out of interest, which bass players are you talking about, would like to check them out ?[/quote]

Tom Jenkinson is a personal favorite. Very different to the silky smooth skills of Mr. Miller.

You'll need to search [u]Squarepusher.[/u]

[quote name='uzzell' post='800357' date='Apr 8 2010, 11:03 PM']Tom Jenkinson is a personal favorite. Very different to the silky smooth skills of Mr. Miller.

You'll need to search [u]Squarepusher.[/u][/quote]

Oh yeah, I've heard Squarepusher before. I saw him do some Spanish flamenco stuff on youtube if I recall.