Why become a member? ×

New Marcus Album

Doddy

[quote name='uzzell' post='800357' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:03 PM']Tom Jenkinson is a personal favorite. Very different to the silky smooth skills of Mr. Miller.

You'll need to search [u]Squarepusher.[/u][/quote]

I like both, is that allowed? :)

Just as an aside, my girly picked a squarepusher track as the first song for our wedding, I knew I picked her for a good reason! :rolleyes:

I saw the new Miller CD in the shop but I didn't buy it although I normally always do.
I have most of his CD's since I like his style. Unfortunately I find it hard to listen to a complete album, after three or four songs I have enough.
A couple of times a year I pick up one of his cd's and listen to it but if I play it too often I easily get bored. Something in the repertoire, the production, I don't know.
I have to admit that I thought "Silver Rain" was one of his best.
He is still a fantastic bass-player and has accomplished amazing things but maybe I'm waiting for the moment that he re-invents himself which is not easy when you have that famous style.
Most of us don't even reach that level so going beyond that is even harder.

It's a shame, but I've always found Marcus a bit "middle of the road". Always making the same stuff, with the same sound...and I don't really rate his slap playing. I know a lot of people think he is the "be all and end all" of slap, but I'd rather listen to Mark King, Jonas Hellborg, Stuart Hamm etc etc...

That said, I always thought Marcus' greatest talent was his fretless playing, which he doesn't do enough of!

I of course appreciate Marcus's (?) playing, but I can never listen to more than a few tracks of his because I really don't like his tone... now I love a bit of jazz bass slap/growl etc but I don't know, his sound always seems a bit too harsh in the context of the music he's playing.

peace

c

[quote name='MB1' post='800931' date='Apr 9 2010, 03:03 PM']MB1. :)
...If You check out Marcus Millers Session History!...You'll see theres 100s of Musicians (who've hired him) that think hes O.K ish! :rolleyes:[/quote]
MM, is great but...well not as good as "The Guvoner" who gets suprisingly little in the way of session work,...too.. out there/id able? I dont know why.....

I mean Mark King BTW

[quote name='witterth' post='800938' date='Apr 9 2010, 03:14 PM']MM, is great but...well not as good as "The Guvoner" who gets suprisingly little in the way of session work,...too.. out there/id able? I dont know why.....

I mean Mark King BTW[/quote]

MB1. :)
..But he does bake some Exceedingly Good Cakes! :rolleyes: