Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unusual Picks

silentbob

Last week i found myself searching high and low for a pick but could not find one for the life of me, so in a moment of desperation, i nicked the sim card out of an old mobile phone and gave that a blast and it worked a treat, so good infact that now find myself reaching for my vodafone special rather than using a regular pick. Just wondered if anybody else was using anything different from the norm?

When I first started playing bass and decided I wanted to play using my fingers, I used a tiddlywink - until someone pointed out that I could buy picks. I kid you not!

Steve Albini (Big Black, Shellac, etc.) used to use a bit of metal as a pick. Dunno if he still does.

Edited by Jerry_B

For guitar I use Jazz III's, but they don't really work on bass. I've tried a bunch of other ones, bigger, different shapes etc but [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/6043-jim_dunlop_h10_speed_picks"]only one has really worked for me[/url]. They have a weird groove and my thumb just falls right into place, and the angle is perfect for bass strings.

I've occasionally used various coins,but very rarely. I find them a bit too 'scrathchy'
sounding. I'd rather use my thumb in an up/down motion(not in a double thumb/slap way) to simulate a
pick,if I don't have one. Although I always have some lying about just in case.