Why become a member? ×

Someone's car boot sale find

Mid 80s, probably made by Cort. Pretty unusual, all the same.

If everyone who types ORIGIONAL (spelled like that) got a punch in the mouth there's be a lot of Ebayers with missing teeth. And my knuckles would hurt.

Jon.

I traced an Epi Explorer bass serial number a while back and seem to remember U was the notaion for the Unsung factory and think the 1st two digits were the year.
Could be completely wrong, memory, blah blah, memory, blah blah, mem....

Coat being got! :)

Apols in advance if this here e-bayer is a BC-er - but y'know what gets me about this listing? Everything.

The spelling ("PITTY"?). The cavalier attitude towards stating accurately what's for sale. The capitalisation that suggests they think that shouting is going to get them noticed. The 'middle-aged man clearing out his attic' detail implying it's a RARE FIND.

The hyperbole ("THIS BASS IS AMAZING"). The superfluous information (I USUALY USE EFFECTS PEDALS FOR DEEP RICH FLTTENED RIFFS, AND DEEP GRUNT) as if I give a beggar's toss about how you play.

"THE DINING ROOM IS GETTING TAKEN OVER WITH STRINGED INSTRUMENTS, I DONT WANT TO PUT THEM AWAY. AS I DO LIKE TO LOOK/BROUSE AND PICK UP AND PLAY" - well, whoopee-doo. You'll be telling me next that the laundry bag's a bit full and you like to put your slippers on in the morning as the kitchen lino's a bit chill.

I don't care about you and your life. Just describe what you're selling. Oh, it's a Gibson? Except it isn't. It's a cheapo lump of bolt-on crap that, at best, is being slackly misdescribed. It's a real shame that current technology does not permit me to wee into my PC and have it come out of his monitor into his lap. So to speak.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='797030' date='Apr 5 2010, 10:46 PM']How's the rheumatism, Skank? Giving you a bit of gyp, maybe? :)[/quote]
No, the knees are fine, just feeling a little dyspeptic this evening. G'rrr.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='797020' date='Apr 5 2010, 10:38 PM']It's a real shame that current technology does not permit me to wee into my PC and have it come out of his monitor into his lap. So to speak.[/quote]

All the social networking crap that's in Web 2 and the one useful thing they could have done isn't there. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='797020' date='Apr 5 2010, 10:38 PM']The hyperbole ("THIS BASS IS AMAZING"). The superfluous information (I USUALY USE EFFECTS PEDALS FOR DEEP RICH FLTTENED RIFFS, AND DEEP GRUNT) as if I give a beggar's toss about how you play.[/quote]
That's about the millionth time I've read the word 'hyperbole' today. :)
(Actually, it's twice but the joke wouldn't have worked so well!!)

TBH

I think somone got ripped off big time. £185 winning bid jeez.

Its a early-mid 90s Epiphone EB-1. I used to have one, not a bad bass but pretty unremarkable (basically an EB-0 with a violin body shape). Both the fretted and fretless models came with a hard case and telescopic end stand and without these features the basses are worth a lot less.

Sadly I emailed the seller and gave him this advice and told him it def was not a 70s bass and that he should change the listing - obviously he didn't - hindsight tells me I should've reported him.

Without the case and stand these are worth at a max £150, complete probably £200-£250.