Why become a member? ×

SMV

Pete Academy

This a clip of Stanley, Victor and Marcus being interviewed and playing the SMV track 'Thunder'.

Yes, I'm expecting the usual 'fretw***ing' comments, but you can't deny the sheer musicianship, groove, and the fact that you don't notice there isn't a drummer.

This is three musicians at the absolute top of their game, and testament to how great the bass guitar really is. In my opinion, of course.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6cD3lQ7ZXA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6cD3lQ7ZXA[/url]

that was great...was great to hear Clark's opinions on various things..i really dont buy the fret w***ery thing Pete..what i mean is if its done well i love listening to it.. period...guitarist do it and its ok..this is what makes the electric bass so versatile...much more so than the guitar.

i may be shot for saying this and i did enjoy it and it did work very well... but i cant help thinking there are to many basses playing...and im not sure if it would work as an album i would enjoy listening to like others i have....very very clever though..

the playing is undeniably phenomenal...Marcus all the way for me, just dig his style and he plays the best bass IMO :) ...!!

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='795218' date='Apr 3 2010, 07:22 PM']This a clip of Stanley, Victor and Marcus being interviewed and playing the SMV track 'Thunder'.

Yes, I'm expecting the usual 'fretw***ing' comments, but you can't deny the sheer musicianship, groove, and the fact that you don't notice there isn't a drummer.

This is three musicians at the absolute top of their game, and testament to how great the bass guitar really is. In my opinion, of course.[/quote]

Ah yes, saw this a few weeks back.

Three of my all time fav. musicians (let alone bassists). Stanley Clarke pretty much opened my mind to the idea of the bass being so much more than just an instrument holding down the root note (and give credit where it's due Geddy Lee did the same). Marcus showed me how you could make some of the coolest sounds and grooves with a bass and Victor is just amazing - often people comment on his technique etc. because obviously this does stand out, but the guy can really groove as well.

Fantastic stuff.

EDIT: As for B5's comment "but i cant help thinking there are to many basses playing". I tend to agree. I have the album which is pretty good and I enjoy listening to it. But it's an acquired taste in a way. As a one off, I love it, but I doubt I'd want too many albums like it :)

Edited by purpleblob

The music starts at just over 4 mins if you don't want to listen to the interviews.

The amazing thing for me is their sense of time...it's so perfect.

Also, I really think Vic excels here. I can't imagine this working without his impeccable technique and groove skills.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I just wanted to show an example of how powerful and versatile the bass can be.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='795248' date='Apr 3 2010, 08:08 PM']The music starts at just over 4 mins if you don't want to listen to the interviews.

The amazing thing for me is their sense of time...it's so perfect.

Also, I really think Vic excels here. I can't imagine this working without his impeccable technique and groove skills.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I just wanted to show an example of how powerful and versatile the bass can be.[/quote]
yeah the timing is what i find so astonishing ...perfection from 30 years of playing!!

Really impressive. All three are fantastic players, the level of musicianship is simply astonishing.

However, (and I'm not trying play devil's advocate here; I am truly in awe of all of them), as impressive as the playing is, I do find the music to be lacking something. The rhythm, timing and groove are impecable, but, as you guys have said, the fact that there are only basses being played does restrict the timbre somewhat, and there isn't really much variation in the way of dynamics.

It just seems to me to be more of a demonstration (albeit a very impressive one) than a piece which has a strong musical structure. I hope I don't sound like a knob; I enjoyed the video, but musically it's not really my kind of thing.

No argument from me either, Pete. :)
I've seen all three in concert over the years (as I'm sure many others here have, too) and they still remain -- along with Jaco -- among my foremost ultimate bass heroes.
Sadly, I missed the SMV gigs last year. Hopefully, next time...!

That's really cool.
For me,Marcus is still the man.All three play great,but I dig the way that Marcus is totally
holding the groove down,but still tears it up.

I think one of the reasons that it all works-on the album too-is not only their musicianship,
but the fact that they each have a very distinctive tone. They can all play without it sounding
all muddy.

[quote name='Doddy' post='795459' date='Apr 4 2010, 01:47 AM']That's really cool.
For me,Marcus is still the man.All three play great,but I dig the way that Marcus is totally
holding the groove down,but still tears it up.

I think one of the reasons that it all works-on the album too-is not only their musicianship,
but the fact that they each have a very distinctive tone. They can all play without it sounding
all muddy.[/quote]

All day, I love Marcus' playing, his tone is always amazing too, and so instantly recognisable, shame some of his music is such utter toss though!

cool video, it's nice seeing people who are so famous and so massively influential not being arses! :)

Edited by beardybass

I was lucky enough to see SMV live here in Las Vegas in 2008 at Texas Station.

The entire place was full!! Stanley said something like "Can you believe all these people are here to see three guys play bass?"

I couldn't agree more!

The show was excellent! All three players having equal time to do their thing.

Stanley, Marcus, Victor each have amazing abilities and are very different from each other in their playing. I never get bored of hearing these guys play.

If they come back here, I will not miss it!

Craig

All 3 of them are 3 of my Bass heroes. Marcus' tone and groove are impeccable, as is Wooten's technique, and Stanley's musicianship and songwriting are just something else altogether. 3 of the greatest Musicians let alone Bass players of all time. I'd be happy to have 1% of the talent these guys possess. Despite all that I DO feel there is something missing. It's great in it's own right, but I'm not sure I could stand an entire album. And that's coming from someone who admires all 3 of these guys to the fullest extent!

Er - it's actually a very good album as well - not full of complete fret w*** bullmud - a little here and there - but aside from all being great musos, Marcus is a hugely respected producer and Stan is a movie score man of over 30 something films - so all that comes through as well - but this clip is groovy as hell with no drummer in sight!

M

Yeah, never saw that before - actually I prefer it to the album version ... and the album's great - it never really feels like 'a bassplayer's album' - I won't name any names, but I'm sure you know what I mean - the kind of thing where the 'songs' are just excuses for another display of chops. And as Mike says, that's down to S, M & V's individual writing, producing and arranging skills: it really helps that they're not 'just' bassists - they each know how to compose, arrange and produce a piece of music so that it stands on its own merits, not simply on the display of chops therein.

K.

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='795448' date='Apr 4 2010, 01:21 AM']as impressive as the playing is, I do find the music to be lacking something. The rhythm, timing and groove are impecable, but, as you guys have said, the fact that there are only basses being played does restrict the timbre somewhat, and there isn't really much variation in the way of dynamics.[/quote]

+1

Marcus Miller is one of my favorite bassists; Victor has amazing technique and Stanley Clarke's style is very unique, but I can't help but think the song might work better with more in terms of instrumentation.

I have the album, and i love all three of the guys involved.

This seems to lose it's thread a little at points - still a bit jammed out...

Still, there's a bit at about 6 minutes in and Mr Clarke sticks in a tasty little flourish.

Three very subtly different players.

And i'm glad they've done it, hope there's more to come.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='796906' date='Apr 5 2010, 08:20 PM']+1

Marcus Miller is one of my favorite bassists; Victor has amazing technique and Stanley Clarke's style is very unique, but I can't help but think the song might work better with more in terms of instrumentation.[/quote]

Well on the recordings and on tour they usually have a drummer & keyboards. Marcus usually does some bass clarinet/sax as well.

But on this occasion they only had three bass players. What are they supposed to do? Magic a symphony orchestra out of thin air? :)

Each one of these bassplayers had a huge influence on me...they opened doors which I didn't know about.
I saw them performing with the SMV show in Gent and it blew my mind, one of the best concerts I have ever seen.
Even soundwise it was great, no blurring lows, no undefined sounds ...They blended perfectly together and they treated each other with mutual respect. Also hats off for the keyboardplayer, great solo's and tasteful playing.

I honestly think it works on record. Live-wise, I've only heard what I see on YouTube.

Personally, I think it's groundbreaking stuff. Arguably the three greatest players on the planet. But I have to add that IMO Victor is the main contributor.

The solo piece he does, where he adds one note after another on the fly, is not only a party piece but is sheer genius. How the hell does he pull that off? :)