Why become a member? ×

F1 head

karlthebassist

Replaced my LMII with an F1 head the other week, just for the shear hell of it - and I am SO glad I did.

After what I had read people say about the difference, I wasn't really expecting a lot in the realms of tone. I was looking forward to the smaller size though.

What I got was totally unexpected. The overall "fidelity" of this head is amazing. There is so much rich detail availiable, even at high volumes. The punch is awesome (slap sounds epic!) and the bottom end seems to extend further than it did on my LMII. I think the feeling of bottom end extension comes from how tight and focused the bass frequancies are. I rarely ever touched the bass knob on my LMII as it would just seem too bassy too quickly, but not the case with the F1.

I have just been using a 3EQ Stingray and a GS112 with it and a clean signal, so maybe this combination lends itself better to finding the vast difference between the LMII and the F1, but I feel that there is a lot more to be said about this head than that has been said... In a rehearsal today, playing the Jam, Stones, Beatles, Slade, Clash, Chili Peppers, James (pub stuff) I could hear myself better in the mix and at LOWER volumes (I say lower, I mean knob positions compared to how I used to set the LMII - but these heads are the same output... so I guess it is lower) than I could before.

They rock.

Like loads and loads.

I can't wait to pair it with my other GS112 and go gigging!

Karl

[quote name='Pkomor' post='795106' date='Apr 3 2010, 03:38 PM']ooo great! I use a stingray 3Eq too, and my F1 and GS112 are on order! :) Snap![/quote]

Sounds fantastic with the GS112 I can tell ya! Infact - NiceGuyHomer was the first person to introduce me to a certain thunder from a pair of GS112's under an MB LM2.. Just a brilliantly massive sound!

[quote name='Pkomor' post='795106' date='Apr 3 2010, 03:38 PM']ooo great! I use a stingray 3Eq too, and my F1 and GS112 are on order! :rolleyes: Snap![/quote]

You are going to LOVE it I can tell you! Only downside I've found is that really it needs ever so slightly taller feet, as if you put the Aggie on its side, the handle is a smidge to bulky to put the F1 on top. I think its literally 2mm though.

I do have another GS112, but its off for repair with the Bassmerchant. I should really ring them to see how its going, but I have no money left now after my mini decided to eat its clutch, and they might want me to pay them some money... :)

And yeah I believe the F500 is the same bar the mute and the DI thingy and such. Identical sound apparently.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='795621' date='Apr 4 2010, 12:17 PM']You are going to LOVE it I can tell you! Only downside I've found is that really it needs ever so slightly taller feet, as if you put the Aggie on its side, the handle is a smidge to bulky to put the F1 on top. I think its literally 2mm though.

I do have another GS112, but its off for repair with the Bassmerchant. I should really ring them to see how its going, but I have no money left now after my mini decided to eat its clutch, and they might want me to pay them some money... :)

And yeah I believe the F500 is the same bar the mute and the DI thingy and such. Identical sound apparently.[/quote]

I was thinking that the feet might be a bit too small! ahh well!, i cant wait for it to arrive!

Have you got any pics of your setup?

I've got an F500 and it is a great 'hi-fi' amp. I prefer the TA501 as the valve compressor sweetens the sound, which I guess is my preference. But it's great having the choice. I'm just gobsmacked that they can build something so powerful and great sounding so small, yet with such a solid feel to the whole package. I was thinking it would be great if someone designed a scaled down rack unit to house these and the newer crop of small heads in.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='795882' date='Apr 4 2010, 06:32 PM']I've got an F500 and it is a great 'hi-fi' amp. I prefer the TA501 as the valve compressor sweetens the sound, which I guess is my preference. But it's great having the choice. I'm just gobsmacked that they can build something so powerful and great sounding so small, yet with such a solid feel to the whole package. I was thinking it would be great if someone designed a scaled down rack unit to house these and the newer crop of small heads in.[/quote]

Prepare youself for this...

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=4&vedi=151"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...=4&vedi=151[/url]

:)

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='797972' date='Apr 6 2010, 08:17 PM']Prepare youself for this...

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=4&vedi=151"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...=4&vedi=151[/url]

:)[/quote]

Well, if they come with suitably sized rack ears for the F500 then count me in for one - and about time!

[quote name='alanbass1' post='798112' date='Apr 6 2010, 10:02 PM']Well, if they come with suitably sized rack ears for the F500 then count me in for one - and about time![/quote]
I think they do rack ears already I saw a couple pictures on talkbass.

found it - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645523"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645523[/url]

for me it kinda defeats the objective why have a 3kgs if you stick into a 3kg rack case.

Edited by davidmpires

[quote name='gdavis27' post='799776' date='Apr 8 2010, 01:28 PM']Since a lot of the Markbass heads are all 500W, how loud is the F1 in comparison? Is it a 'loud' 500W?[/quote]

it's the loudest amp I've ever had, just seems to keep on going. I had a peavey max700 a while ago, this is louder.

re the height of the feet, I put the front feet of the F1 onto the handle on the top of my berg cab, it angles the amp up slightly.

[quote name='gdavis27' post='799776' date='Apr 8 2010, 01:28 PM']Since a lot of the Markbass heads are all 500W, how loud is the F1 in comparison? Is it a 'loud' 500W?[/quote]

It's a loud amp alright! My two guitarist took the p*ss out of me for hours when they first saw it. Funnily, they did pipe down when they heard it. :)

[quote name='rplatt' post='801450' date='Apr 10 2010, 01:46 AM']Can the F1 produce classic old-school rock tones? Stuff like the Stranglers, real deep fat bass[/quote]

I'm not familiar with the sound. But the F1 has a filter VLE

From their site: VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator)
frequency range 250 Hz-20 kHz (cut)

Check the manual I couldn't copy

www.markbass.it/risorse/allegato_pro.php?id=90

[quote name='rplatt' post='801450' date='Apr 10 2010, 01:46 AM']....Can the F1 produce classic old-school rock tones? Stuff like the Stranglers, real deep fat bass....[/quote]
Are we thinking of the same Stranglers? Deep fat bass and JJ Burnel don't usually appear in the same sentence!!

[quote name='rplatt' post='801450' date='Apr 10 2010, 01:46 AM']Can the F1 produce classic old-school rock tones? real deep fat bass[/quote]

Yes, it can do deep, dub, middley old skool tones and motown with those lovely controls, as well as ultra flat & hifi - but don't expect it to do 'dirty' - as it is a very clean amp. That said - drop an M80 pedal or similar in front of it and it will rattle ya jaw bone :)