Why become a member? ×

Doe a bass tutorial book exist that isn't dry as an old stick?

Clarky

Reading an excellent book at the moment: Fretboard Roadmaps Bass Guitar The essential patterns that all the pros know and use. It includes some cool riffs/ examples of different types of music; Major Appegio in second, first and fourth finger positions; Major scale in the 3 positions; 1st and 2nd Inversions; Major Penatonic in the 3 finger positions; Minor Scale, Minor Penatonic, and Blues Scale in the 3 finger positions; The Circle of Fifths and 5 and 6 String Conversions.

I'd seen some 3 finger positions on Scott's Bass lessons utube but wasn't sure of the frets. This book is brilliant.

I'm working though Improve your Groove by Patrick Pfeiffer ( having read Bass Guitar for Dummies and Bass Guitar Exercises for Dummies a number of times ) .

The book for finger permutations is Bass Fitness An Exercising Handbook by Josquin Des Pres.

I think if you can master this lot, that will be a major help for newbies like me. :)

I subscribed to Chris Tarry's "newsletter" to get his free lessons and... I had a [b]very[/b] nice surprise!
(For those who don't know him, Chris Tarry is a [b]badass[/b] bassist from Canada (mutliple Juno Award winner) now living in NYC.)

Don't want to spoil it all, though...
Well, it's free.
And it's good.

Oh... and it's here: http://christarry.com
Or here: http://free.christarrylessons.com

Cool!

I am going to venture into 'tosser' mode now so bear with.....

If people can't be bothered to invest in their playing and have the attention span of a bean-bag, why are they trying to improve their playing with theory books? These books are not dull, they are just a little demanding and take a little time to absord, like learning any new language. Learning anything that is demanding is going to push a student and, if s/he fails after one session of basic theory because it is a bit dry, then s/he ain't going to make it in the long run. Personally, I would start with discussing basic concepts with a friend who is willing to tell you about intervals, basic chord theory etc. Once it starts to make sense, the rest becomes less dry.

And learning to read music brings it to life something rotten....

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1358353217' post='1937625']
I am going to venture into 'tosser' mode now so bear with.....[/quote]

C'mon... ;) Good points!

[quote]Personally, I would start with discussing basic concepts with a friend who is willing to tell you about intervals, basic chord theory etc.
[/quote]

Funny you say that: from Chris Tarry's "Bass Player's Companion"

[size=3]A Word About Theory [/size]
[size=4]Theory is simply a way to describe what you are playing. Theory is not music. You are the music! Theory just helps you communicate with others using a common language. Keep this in mind as we dive into the section here. [/size]

[size=4]I have tried to keep this part concise because I don't want this to turn into a theory book. Take the information provided here, and study it in depth on your own. Like everything else, there are many different ways to look at theory. Learn as many different ways as possible. Eventu- ally, you will view theory in whatever way makes the most sense to you. [/size]
[size=3]Intervals ...[/size]

I just noticed I wouldn't have spoiled anything by saying Chris was giving away his book to his newsletter's subscribers: I had forgotten he was making it pretty clear on [url="http://free.christarrylessons.com"]http://free.christarrylessons.com[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1358353217' post='1937625']
I am going to venture into 'tosser' mode now so bear with.....

If people can't be bothered to invest in their playing and have the attention span of a bean-bag, why are they trying to improve their playing with theory books? These books are not dull, they are just a little demanding and take a little time to absord, like learning any new language. Learning anything that is demanding is going to push a student and, if s/he fails after one session of basic theory because it is a bit dry, then s/he ain't going to make it in the long run. Personally, I would start with discussing basic concepts with a friend who is willing to tell you about intervals, basic chord theory etc. Once it starts to make sense, the rest becomes less dry.

And learning to read music brings it to life something rotten....
[/quote]

I've got to be honest...I agree with you.
It's not always easy to absorb the information in the books,but that doesn't make them boring. There is a lot
of stuff to learn. If you use the material in conjunction with other methods of learning (like learning songs) it
becomes really easy to start to see how it all works together. It takes time and study to learn and understand
the concepts. If we take a couple of Bass specific books like 'Chord Studies for Electric Bass' and 'Serious
Electric Bass',they are full of great material to study and practise but it might not be as easy and instant as learning
a song by your favourite band or ripping through the same old licks-It will do you far more good though.
And yes...reading will make it better.

Books are ok as long as you understand what's being said in them, and like you say some can be a bit on the tedious side.

Best is to find someone and have private lessons, as and when you can, and when you can afford them.

Just my opinion, no doubt many will disagree,

This one http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/303_304_446_489/products_id/4458 is really good as books go. We sell quite a few of the series, and I've had plenty of good feedback on the various titles.
Can't help but agree with Bilbo though - there's no substitute for putting in the hours, whether you use books, DVDs, a teacher or just your own ears.
Never stop learning!

I think you would quite enjoy Ed Friedland's "Electric Bass Complete" (books 1-3 Hal Leonard books).

Takes you through everything to get you started, especially learning to read rhythms and creating bass lines from the basics upwards. The harmony / theory thing you learn as you go through the book, plus you get 3 CD's of all the examples.

I've been playing for years, but I'm still learning stuff from it.

Edited by louisthebass

I've just started on the Bass guitar theory course [url="http://www.instituteofbass.com/courses/music_theory_for_bass/"]http://www.institute...heory_for_bass/[/url] 12 week course for £16. I have been doing it for 2 weeks, a lot of work but interesting a chunk has gone over my head a bit but I think/hope I get it in the end.

The guy running it says give it 30 mins to 1 hour a day if you want to succeed at it and stick at it, like everything else it's practice, practice....

I'm the worlds worse learner but I WILL do it!

Edited by yepmop

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1358467310' post='1939979']
I've just started on the Bass guitar theory course [url="http://www.instituteofbass.com/courses/music_theory_for_bass/"]http://www.institute...heory_for_bass/[/url] 12 week course for £16. I have been doing it for 2 weeks, a lot of work but interesting a chunk has gone over my head a bit but I think/hope I get it in the end.

The guy running it says give it 30 mins to 1 hour a day if you want to succeed at it and stick at it, like everything else it's practice, practice....

[/quote]

That's a lot to do in just 12 weeks !

I did the ICMP Higher diploma course last year and covered most of that, but that was in a year and with a tutor so we could ask questions and get them to explain bits we didn't understand.

What I've always found to help is taking the "dry" stuff in doses. If you wanna be a solid player, you've got to do the time, simple as. But it doesn't have to be a chore.

I will often practise scales/arps for 20 mins out of every half hour, and have a cup of tea/coffee (whiskey if it's been trane changes). For me, it certainly helps with my crappy attention span, and absorbing information like that is tiring (a working brain has a very high metabolic demand, and using it tires you out) so good to give the brain a bit of a rest. But it's also fun (I think essential) to intersperse technical/theoretical work with stuff like playing along to records, either trying to work out specific lines or just jamming along - always great for your musicianship. I'm a bit strange in that I find timing/metronome exercises very relaxing, so will do those as a way of calming down in between doses of theory as well.

Edited by Hector

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1358467310' post='1939979']

[/quote]

I'd be interested to know what the quality of the material is that you receive in this pack and the other similar packs they have.....

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1269990593' post='791384']
I am rubbish at theory and have a large pile of books at home that I thought at various times would help me through the maze. Trouble is they are all as dull as ditch-water and I give up faster than you can say E flat minor seventh. Take Chuck Rainey's tutor book (called something like Modern Bass Guitar or Electric Bass Guitar). It simply includes pages upon pages of scales, arpeggios etc with no musical context.

Does anyone know of a bass tutorial book that could actually make this stuff fun by bringing in real life applications. By which I mean, perhaps showing a scale, relating it to the composition and melody or bass line of a well-known track, then taking variations to show how it could be applied in different styles?

When jakesbass did a tutorial at the SE BassBash last year he did something along these lines and it was very inspiring - unfortunately all I can remember of his talk now is his enthusiasm, ability and that awesome Alembic!

Edit: I know lessons from a good tutor would help but I have very little time as I leave the house for work at 6am, get home 7.30pm-ish and have a wife and three kids to amuse/deal with etc (as well as BassChat to stare at endleessly). Practically speaking I couldn't do more than one maybe two lessons a month
[/quote]

i dont want to be an old odd ball, but.....
i actually really loved the chuck rainey modern bass books and they really do give you a good foundation that will aid you for years to come :)