Why become a member? ×

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Bassassin' post='791406' date='Mar 31 2010, 12:52 AM']And in that spirit I can proudly say that it matters not what bass I choose to play, how I dress or indeed which direction I comb my hair in - any time I step on stage, I will never fail to look like a gigantic, absurd arse[/quote]

I think that's why I'm jealous of the Bongo-buyers. They're probably all much better-looking than I am and they still get the winks even if their bass looks like sh*t. :)

Personally, i think aesthetics are important. I agree with an instrument (or skoda) the performance is top, but i cant ignore looks. I cant justify buying a £500+ (or however much) bass if its ugly as sin. Im not Stevie Wonder, so ive gotta look at my instrument everyday. Id rather not have one that repulses me. Besides look at John Entwistle, he got quite a bit more attention than any other bassist at the time because his basses looked f***ing cool!

When you look as good as me, you don't care. :)

[quote]I like the way this thread\'s gone - to combine a consideration of both one\'s aesthetic sensibilities and the knock-on effect that has on the image one projects as a performer, and to celebrate an appreciation for a satisfyingly British vulgarism.[/quote]
And proudly upholding a true British institution in the process.

[quote]And in that spirit I can proudly say that it matters not what bass I choose to play, how I dress or indeed which direction I comb my hair in - any time I step on stage, I will never fail to look like a gigantic, absurd arse.[/quote]
Its possible there could be some situations where that might be an advantage!

I'm a total whore for image.
Being young (ahem...) and in an originals band, people can have certain expectations before we arrive. I.e. Teens with encores an 15w amps. When we turn up with pro instruments and large rigs it can help dispell this thought. But then again a bit of the 'grunge' ethos / image died inside me when I spent over 1k on a rig!

IMO I think it's vital as to how you present yourself as a band.

[quote name='urbanx' post='791523' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:47 AM']IMO I think it's vital as to how you present yourself as a band.[/quote]
Spot on. If you're in a hobby band that never gets out of the rehearsal room, you can wear and play what you like. Once you're in front of an audience, there's a transaction going on, even if it's a free gig. Audiences have expectations and fulfilling them is all part of the job.

Unless you're a radical Arts collective out to subvert the process, our task is to convert an audience from disinterested observers to willing participants in our musical vision. Wearing the wrong clothes or sporting the wrong instrument simply introduces an additional obstacle. If success is achieved not simply by doing 'good' things but also by minimising 'bad' things, then getting your image right is just part of the groundwork before you even play a note.

Let's face it. In most bands the question that follows "Wow, a gig! Are we getting paid?" is invariably "What are you going to wear?"

Edited by skankdelvar

Image is everything really - we just might not realise it.

I couldnt care less about cars but for my business I have to have something german so I have got rid of my BMW and bought a merc. If I retired next week I would have a ford focus or something like that. How people perceive you is really important in business and it is almost impossible to change someones initial reaction.

Same goes for basses and gear- though this is in reverse for me- I know what I like and know that a jazz type bass looks far better for a soul band than my Warwick thumb. Now that I have found my Low End Jazz I have one that sounds as good as a Warwick, plays as good but looks as conservative as a jazz. I cannot believe that any punter would know what a backline is anyway.

Was in a band a few years ago and we had big, powerful looking gear- mainly because it was cheap.. As we were moving this into the venue (small working mans club ) we could see everyone looking and even though we were not a load band by any stretch of the imagination ( never even tripped the DB meter!!) did we get complaints and told to turn down??

What do you think?

Bob

Gah, image. We're cursed by the fact that we play heavy stuff, but we're a couple of short-haired, bespectacled, quiet, slightly socially awkward guys without tattoos. Even though I'm sure it'd help us get gigs if we got tattooed to the hilt and grew our hair down to our navels (and I mean [i]sure[/i], because I've seen us get overlooked before in favour of the lairy, hairy metal guys), I have no desire to do so. I mean... I'd look like a tit. :rolleyes:

Still, it's nice to see the reaction we get when we [i]do[/i] play. A sort of, "Well, I'd never have guessed that these guys who look like accountants could make such an awesome, heavy noise." Always lots of appreciative noise at the end of the set. Lots of, "I really liked that song with the screaming." :)

Depends. In terms of my amp, appearence doesn't matter all that much to me, so long as it's loud. With a bass though, I need something that I like the look of. Sound is more important to me, but I'm confidant that for every ugly bass I try with a good sound I'm sure I could find another, better looking one whose sound I would like equally.

Additionally, arse.

I have to agree that if I don't like the look of a bass then I won't buy it. When you have little choice but buy at distance due to geographical location and poor local shop stock it's the only barometer you have. It's not a problem though - if it doesn't work out I sell it on and as I tend to operate at the lower end of the market I pretty much break even, gain a tenner here, lose a tenner there.

As for the image it projects I think I'm a stubborn git who wants to play something different or unusual so I won't deny that it's a nice feeling when people come up to me after a gig and compliment my G-3 or ask questions about it. I guess there is a vanity angle there. I also like taking unusual looking basses to band rehearsals just because it winds my guitarist up (who thinks that the only bass worthy of consideration is the Fender P).

If I didn't like the look of it, it's very unlikely I'd pick it up and try it, so I'd never know if it was any good.

Does anyone really buy a bass that they don't like the looks of ? I think some of you have some butt ugly bass's but surely you, the butt ugly basss owners, like them ? (eermm....I mean the bass is butt ugly, not you).

I'm pretty sure that last comment isn't quite how I meant it to sound.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='791622' date='Mar 31 2010, 10:20 AM']Gah, image. We're cursed by the fact that we play heavy stuff, but we're a couple of short-haired, bespectacled, quiet, slightly socially awkward guys without tattoos. Even though I'm sure it'd help us get gigs if we got tattooed to the hilt and grew our hair down to our navels (and I mean [i]sure[/i], because I've seen us get overlooked before in favour of the lairy, hairy metal guys)...[/quote]

Which is ironic, as the last band I was in [i]were[/i] the aforementioned tattooed hairy guys.
We were a folk band.
(I kid you not!)
So much for the stereotypes, then.

It's swings and roundabouts for me..

I wouldn't buy anything that sounded great but I didn't like the look of...
I wouldn't buy anything I liked the look of but sounded pants...

As for band imagine, it's a woman thing.. I wouldn't go on stage looking like I'd walked in off the street, and also I think there's more pressure on female members of bands to be 'eye candy' as well as a decent player..

Edited by Sarah5string