Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know the exact bassline of this?

skampino

[quote name='skampino' post='789549' date='Mar 29 2010, 04:00 PM']Skankdelvar: I took your advice and downloaded Audacity so it will help. Thanks :0)

In answer to questions from others:

No, I don't play in tribute bands. (Never have or would as I would get bored playing one genre).

Yes we have a keyboardist (who also plays sax if we need it).

I care about what other musos think of me as a bass player because I want to be regarded as damn good.

I want to get as close to the original bassline as is possible in a live situation. If that's not for you, that's your perogative but it's not the way I prefer to approach covering someone else's music.

I may well start another topic questioning improvisation!
Here's a starter:
If someone has to learn a bassline which has multiple runs and decides to just play root notes, is that improvising? I call it skimping, laziness or probably lack of ability to do anything else. What's your view?[/quote]

Please don't misunderstand me, I actually do go for the original lines in all 3 covers bands I play in...the bass lines are played and recorded for a reason, so I play them as they are recorded, if my ability to play/read is up to it.
My point is, I don't do anything to gain the approval of other musicians in an audience, I play because I enjoy playing.
Best wishes with learning your tunes and hats off for going "true".
Only other thing I would say is that "improvising" or playing your own interpretation doesn't always equate to laziness......there are many "covers" of tunes by artists/bass players that are well thought out, beautifully played and in some cases, an improvement on the original.
Sorry to have caused you any offence dude! None was meant, :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='789567' date='Mar 29 2010, 04:09 PM']My view..

Interpret the line, improve it if I can, but - importantly - keep the flavour and important hooks as they are.

Personally I have no interest copying a line exactly. No-one cares, for a start...[/quote]

I'm with you on this one WOT, but if anyone wishes to go down the "note-for-note" route then it's their right.
FWIW though I have a higher opinion of any player who can put their stamp on a line whilst keeping within the context of the tune, than a direct copy of the original.

There are exeptions to this, naturally.

Anyhoozle, I found another transcription that bears similarities to the previously posted one, but isn't the same...

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

There's a lot to be said for sticking to the bassline on the original recording. However there many cases when this simply isn't appropriate depending on your instrumental line up and IMO Brown Sugar is one of them.

The covers band I play in do this song, but we don't have a keyboard player and I've found that without the left hand of the piano part there's something missing. What the average listener would describe as the bassline is actually a combination of the two parts and playing just the bass guitar as it was recorded doesn't cut it.

Playing exactly what is on the recording in a lot of the time only works if you are able to replicate all the parts of the original all the musicians are prepared to play their parts as recorded. Also TBH if I can't hear exactly every nuance of the bass part, then neither will the vast majority of the people who come to see us play.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='skampino' post='789549' date='Mar 29 2010, 04:00 PM']If someone has to learn a bassline which has multiple runs and decides to just play root notes, is that improvising?[/quote]
I call it 'my signature style'. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Only other thing I would say is that "improvising" or playing your own interpretation doesn't always equate to laziness......there are many "covers" of tunes by artists/bass players that are well thought out, beautifully played and in some cases, an improvement on the original.

Ah, if it improves the song or if the band change it completely by doing their own take, I totally agree but I'm talking about a 'that'll do attitude'. Sorry if I confused you.
Having auditioned many bass players over the past 5 yrs for my other band where I am a guitarist, the majority just found the easiest solution of the bare minimum that you could get away with. They would compromise their learning and improvement in order to get out gigging. Suffice to say that they endup in bands that have the same sort of approach and such rarely get in decent live music venues or even rebooked in other places after the first gig and also receive a pittance if any fee at all.

BigredX: I agree with what you're saying which is why I said 'as close to the original as is possible when playing live'. Obviously if you do not have the required instruments then another one has to fill the gap.

Each to their own of course and I don't knock people who just play the basic root notes. It's just not for me; I wat to improve and that means stepping outside the comfort zone and facing challenges.

[quote name='skampino' post='789732' date='Mar 29 2010, 06:31 PM']Ah, if it improves the song or if the band change it completely by doing their own take, I totally agree but I'm talking about a 'that'll do attitude'.[/quote]
I don't think anyone in this thread has taken that attitude...?

There's actually a really good version of Brown Sugar on Spotify which has been digitally remastered, you can hear the bass a LOT clearer than the original mix.

[url="http://open.spotify.com/track/2e9nyf96XvpCrloFmQLf7v"]LINK[/url]

I've played it before a few times in bands and normally stick to the roots with a few Wymanisms thrown in, ie that little ascending run he does at the end of most of the bars in the sax solo etc. Sounds good to me!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='789735' date='Mar 29 2010, 06:34 PM']I don't think anyone in this thread has taken that attitude...?[/quote]
Exxx-cuuuuse me? I [i]rather[/i] think I have.

Gtr: "Er ... is that how it goes on the record?"
Sknk: "whogivesaf*ckingrat'sassit'sonlyrock'n'roll's'allabout'feel'innitrightwhat'snext?"

Edited by skankdelvar

I think that when you're covering classic songs it's more important to get the feel right. I've had this problem with Steely Dan's material. It's easy to obsess about whether or not you're doing it exactly right and if you're going to be judged by diehard fans and fellow musicians.

For example, I tried and tried to get Kid Charlemagne as close as I could to the original, but I soon realised that you will never sound like Chuck Rainey doing it. Same with Haitian Divorce and Peg (particularly the slap line).

Don't get me wrong: get as close as you can to the original, but if you can capture the essence and spirit of the bass part - and thus the song - the audience will appreciate it. Trust me.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='acidbass' post='789740' date='Mar 29 2010, 06:40 PM']There's actually a really good version of Brown Sugar on Spotify which has been digitally remastered, you can hear the bass a LOT clearer than the original mix.

[url="http://open.spotify.com/track/2e9nyf96XvpCrloFmQLf7v"]LINK[/url][/quote]
Sounds pretty much like I'd have guessed/improvised anyway

Quote wateroftyne: [i]I don't think anyone in this thread has taken that attitude...? [/i]

Sorry, you misunderstood me. If you re-read my post you will understand that I wasn't referring to anyone on here.

Acidbass & Peteacademy: Thanks for the links :0)

[quote name='skampino' post='790057' date='Mar 29 2010, 10:32 PM']Sorry, you misunderstood me. If you re-read my post you will understand that I wasn't referring to anyone on here.[/quote]
Ah, OK. I was just a bit puzzled as to how we got on to the subject of that kind of player...?