Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass

yorick

Im so tempted to buy one of these. I can sell my current amp for about the same price as a new bass terror, so theres no money problem. Im just not sure about its versatility. Then again i only play varied stuff at home when I want to learn different things, gig wise its pretty much alt rock and I want something with some balls!

Im planning on getting a 2x15 too, you'll have to let me know how that goes.

Well I can honestly say that I had the best sound I've had in a long time. This amp is so powerful and warm - I had the most amazing sound tonight.

I've wanted a 2x15" for years so when the chance came up to get one I had to take it - its probably about the same weight as my 4x12" Trace cab but I have wheels on it. 4ohms, 400 watts = plenty of volume. Both amp and cab were ticking over nicely tonight

As for using a plectrum - it was like a dirty chainsaw cutting through rusty metal - the dogs sloblock

Orange Terror Bass & Trace Elliot 1524 = much enjoyment. So much bottom end and definition

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='yorick' post='786839' date='Mar 26 2010, 01:33 PM']TonyF from on here tried my OTB out last night, and i think he's a new convert!!!!! :rolleyes: Mwahahahahahahhaha...[/quote]

Amen brother. Nigel converted me last week but to be honest, think I was looking for "salvation" anyway! :)

Picked mine up earlier from the nice fellas at PMT in Brum. So dinky and such a small box. I almost feel cheated by carrying a 500w head out the store tucked under my arm!

Having already played with it, man it sounds the mutt's nads. Soooooooo can't wait for next rehearsal when I can really give it some.

Nigel, you are officially "da man" for letting me hear yours first! Many thanks mate.

Cheers
Tony

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='794716' date='Apr 2 2010, 11:10 PM']Should I sell my Ampeg SVT-3 pro for one of these things?[/quote]

Erm, dunno really, I'd hate to say "yes" and you end up regretting.

As with everything else, best to go and try one. All our tastes are difference.

I've had a reasonable amount of valve gear in the past and I think I've fairly high standards. To me, the Bass Terror sounds great but it's always a pay off between absolute tonal nirvana and portability. In the Bass Terror's case, it's pretty pretty darn close IMHO. Whatever Orange have done, they've near enough perfected the balance between great valve tone and an amp so small, you could probably stick it in your pocket. :)

I love the fact that I can just pick it up with one hand and get massive volume and a great valve crunch and grind. Ticks all the boxes near enough. Yeah, I still miss my the tone of my SVT II Pro and my Trace V8 but REALLY don't miss the weight and maintenance of them. Besides which, does the average punter coming to my gigs ultimately notice the subtle differences that we as musicians notice? Dunno. No one's ever come up to me after a gig and said so.

Again, go give one a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and, to be honest, at the price, if you don't like it long term, you'll probably be able to sell it on without taking too much of a hit.

HTH
Tony

Edited by tonyf

First use at rehearsals last night. Went to a new place with a big proper studio room with great sound (for a change).
I'd decided to just go with the RS112 as I was expecting the usual dead box room.
No problems at all. Fantastic angry sound out of such a small set up. I've never been so pleased with how I sounded in the band mix.
More or less flat EQ and gain at 10 o'clock was lovely.
I used a Bad Monkey on a couple of songs that needed some extra dirt and that worked really nicely too.
Very impressed.

Used it again last night. This time with the RS210 in a little dead box rehearsal room.
It still sounded wonderful. It works really well with od and fuzz too. I used a Bad Monkey on a couple of songs for some added grind and a Bass Big Muff for some fuzzed madness on another couple too. Heaven. Pushing an amp that's warm and breaking up a little anyway sounds just right. Very old school rock.

I think Im going to have to get something like Lowendbees set up,as the trace elliot stuff I have is REALLY wrecking my back :) but I want sommat LOUD!! really loud!!!!!
can that be done in small packages??
I started in the early 80s so big rigs have allways been the "thing" for noise!!
what do you think chaps?

Edited by witterth

So had my first gig with the Terror last night, just an intimate little pub gig, plugged into my Ashdown 4x8.
I was using my '85 Japanese Squier Precision, and everything sounded great, I was using the EQ pretty much flat, tiny bit of mid boost, but only just. Had gain a touch higher than the volume for a tiny bit of grind, but nothing 'distorted'.
It all sounded fantastic!

Another gig with it tonight which I'll use my MIA Jazz for I think, so we'll see how that fairs!

Si