Why become a member? ×

Power amp advice sought

franzbassist

Hello folks

OK, I have two cabs, both 8 ohms, a 1x12 and a 2x10 rated 350 and 500 watts respectively. What would be a good power amp to put with these?

I've heard from various sources that MOSFET amps are best for bass, but I have been using digital amps for a while and not thought they lacked anything; in fact the bridged Peavey DPC1400X I used to have used bridged into an Epifani 2x12 was the best tone I have ever had! So, I am open to Class D, and in fact a light 1u power amp would be my ideal option.

I'm happy to get a lower powered stereo amp and run it bridged, or buy a mono power amp, to get the requisite degree of power and headroom.

Ideally I'd like to get something for under £300, so used is probably the most likely route.

I'd prefer a name brand, such as Crown or QSC, and have seen good prices on the XLS402 (can these run bridged at 4 ohms) and PLX 1602.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Gareth

I got a QSC RMX850 on ebay for £100 last month, it's 830W into 4 ohms bridged. Nice power amp but bloody heavy (about 18kg I think!). I wanted to get a 1U of some sort but was constrained a lot more by budget than you, that said i can't remember seeing much under the £300 mark in the Class D or 1U region. Maybe I didn't look hard enough tho :)

Thanks chaps. Yes, familiar with Powersoft but just dismissed them as being out of my price range (for now).

The 1u light weight amp goal isn't critical; 2u is fine, new or used, ideally something reasonably light that is lower powered in stereo but stable bridged at 4 and 8 ohms, putting 800 and 400 watts out respectively.

You might look at something like a second hand Yamaha P1600 (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=1240&CTID=227600). I saw one going on eBay last week for £95 - just missed it. 460 watts bridged into 4 ohms, but that's at 0.05% distortion. 12kg is not too bad either.

Behringer launched a new lightweight range at Namm recently. 1,000 watts, 5kg, £250 - from memory. They look great and are creating a lot of interest, but have yet to hit the shops. I'm not sure I'd risk buying one from an early production batch, though.

I know its unfashionable..but the SWR Stereo 800 is a really good power amp. There are a few issues - its 22lbs (not bad, really) the fan can be noisy and a problem in very "polite" situations and they get hot, so need an empty space above to cool.

But the sound is excellent and they are tough. Don't be fooled by the puny looking 8ohm power rating (220w per side?) - they are proper old fashioned loud.

I like the look of the new SWR digi power amp, but its not quite there for me - half rack size, 400w. Why not 1u full width, but more power? Most of the good preamps are still 19" format, so that's what you'll be carrying.

There are very few power amps that bridge into 4-ohms. Most QSC do however.

I used to have a PLX1602, it was excellent and bridgeable into 4-ohms. 2U x 19-inch.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='779800' date='Mar 19 2010, 02:11 PM']There are very few power amps that bridge into 4-ohms. Most QSC do however.

I used to have a PLX1602, it was excellent and bridgeable into 4-ohms. 2U x 19-inch.[/quote]

The guys at Crown tell me their XLS series are ok at 4 as well, even thought they don't list it on their site!

[quote name='walbassist' post='779867' date='Mar 19 2010, 03:04 PM']The guys at Crown tell me their XLS series are ok at 4 as well, even thought they don't list it on their site![/quote]
You have to be careful with this, because an awful lot of 4-ohm bass guitar speakers are actually 3.5 ohms and it can make all the differerence.

[quote name='walbassist' post='779867' date='Mar 19 2010, 03:04 PM']The guys at Crown tell me their XLS series are ok at 4 as well, even thought they don't list it on their site![/quote]

its there?
[url="http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm"]http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm[/url]

or have i miss understood?

oh also the QSC PLX series is out of production just so you know,

well thats what i'm told!

[quote name='Pentode' post='781123' date='Mar 20 2010, 08:15 PM']This any good?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81452"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81452[/url]

:)[/quote]
Hehe, already tried that, I believe Gareth is all sorted now. Thanks for the plug tho :rolleyes: