Why become a member? ×

Luthier Needed In Kent - Any Ideas?

spongebob

I'm looking for a luthier in Kent.

I contacted one listed through the BC section, but haven't heard back.

Basically, I want a set-up on my Ric 4003. It's currently as it left the factory....good, but I've had better. This is why I thought I'd ask the experts here - as you know, a Ric with dual truss rods, and a nightmare bridge must be handled by someone who knows what they're doing!

I'm in Tenterden, Kent.

Love to hear any advice on this, and any success stories of who to trust, and where!

[quote name='spongebob' post='777719' date='Mar 17 2010, 06:34 PM']I'm looking for a luthier in Kent.

I contacted one listed through the BC section, but haven't heard back.

Basically, I want a set-up on my Ric 4003. It's currently as it left the factory....good, but I've had better. This is why I thought I'd ask the experts here - as you know, a Ric with dual truss rods, and a nightmare bridge must be handled by someone who knows what they're doing!

I'm in Tenterden, Kent.

Love to hear any advice on this, and any success stories of who to trust, and where![/quote]

Sims Custom Shop in Ashford are bonkers.

Mani at Sound and image in Chatham is brilliant for set ups.

Bit further afield and possibley the best set up you will ever have is Andy Gibson near Denmark street London. He is absolutely mind blowing. He is based at

Chris Bryants
126 Charing Cross Rd
Leicester Square
London WC2H 0LA
020 7836 4723

If you fancy the train ride you will NOT regret it!

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='clauster' post='777731' date='Mar 17 2010, 05:47 PM']American Guitar Centre in Tonbridge?[/quote]

Not sure about those guys.

I had some dealings with them a while back - admittidly only over the phone - but they did seem a bit blunt, and a little full of themselves.

May sound daft, but these things put you off, don't they?

[quote name='spongebob' post='778257' date='Mar 18 2010, 08:55 AM']Not sure about those guys.

I had some dealings with them a while back - admittidly only over the phone - but they did seem a bit blunt, and a little full of themselves.

May sound daft, but these things put you off, don't they?[/quote]

I know exactly where you're coming from. I popped in there for a browse while my car was having an MOT and new tyre. After 10 minutes of browsing I got a sulky "Anything you're looking at?" After saying it was the Squier Pete Wentz P Bass the attitude changed a lot. I think they have to put up with a lot of time wasting fantasy shoppers wanting to play with their Alembics.

[quote name='spongebob' post='778257' date='Mar 18 2010, 08:55 AM']Not sure about those guys.

May sound daft, but these things put you off, don't they?[/quote]

My guitarist had his Les Paul fully serviced there and he was very satisfied with the result. My Warwick Streamer S1 came from them and it was very nicely set up, so they are probably worth talking to at least IMO

[quote name='throwoff' post='777728' date='Mar 17 2010, 05:43 PM']Sims Custom Shop in Ashford are bonkers.

Mani at Sound and image in Chatham is brilliant for set ups.[/quote]

Actually, it was Sims I contacted first, as they are listed on the BC site.

Sent a detailed e-mail, but never heard back....never a good sign - however, they are the closest, so I'd be interested if anyone has good reports from there.

Their website seems to suggest that they mainly do the LED work, and doesn't mention set-ups.

The bass is a 2009, and just needs some tweaking from someone who knows their Rics!

If you go to the workshop of Sims they do everything. They know their stuff
They make necks and spray for the industry so I would expect they could do this. I'd call them anyway and have a chat.

Or Andy Crockett who works out of the same workshop as Atkins Gtrs, they are around Canterbury

[url="http://www.crockettguitars.com/Jazz/HOME.htm"]http://www.crockettguitars.com/Jazz/HOME.htm[/url]

[quote name='clauster' post='777731' date='Mar 17 2010, 06:47 PM']American Guitar Centre in Tonbridge?[/quote]

There's a decent guitar shop in Tonbridge now...??? Wonders will never cease. When I used to live in Tonbridge there was just a crappy general music store at the bottom of Quarry Hill - they probably did more business selling recorders to school kids than anything else :)

[quote name='spongebob' post='778833' date='Mar 18 2010, 05:02 PM']Thanks to all for that.

I gave Sims a call, and took a trip there with it this afternoon.

Seem like a really nice, genuine bunch....and they do know their stuff![/quote]

Martin and his guys have done several jobs for me, and each has been done to the highest possible standards. He also gives very precise estimates as to timescales and costs, which I've found to be problematic with other techs in the past (i.e., they've taken longer and cost more than originally quoted). He's also more than happy to chew the fat with customers. Martin's highly recommended

C

[quote name='matski' post='779529' date='Mar 19 2010, 10:29 AM']There's a decent guitar shop in Tonbridge now...??? Wonders will never cease. When I used to live in Tonbridge there was just a crappy general music store at the bottom of Quarry Hill - they probably did more business selling recorders to school kids than anything else :)[/quote]

It's actually upstairs from the crappy shop lol

I`ve not used ,but heard good things about this chap in crowborough ....................................
[url="http://www.siggeryguitars.co.uk/pricing.htm"]http://www.siggeryguitars.co.uk/pricing.htm[/url]