Why become a member? ×

Squier Pete Wentz Precision

OutToPlayJazz

Hi guys, just picked one of these up for a pupil today & couldn't believe the speed of the neck. Yes, it has amazingly low action and a maple jazz neck not unlike the 70's VMJ, but I'm amazingly impressed for under £200. I'll do a full review when I've heard it plugged in. Young Alice (the owner) is going to be thrilled with this!

I really think that Squier have raised their game recently, as can be seen by the reaction to the VMJ on these boards. There will always be some that turn their noises up at the label but stuff 'em.

Seems like you don't need a lot of money to have a lot of bass these days!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='84710' date='Nov 7 2007, 12:25 AM']Why do punks only have one knob?

No, hold on, it's not a joke...just an observation. The Tom DeLonge Strat is the same as this bass. No tone control, just volume. Is that cos they rip the tone off in a fit of punk rawk?[/quote]

didn't the mark hoppus sig bass only have a volume control ?

mind you, i've heard it said that removing the tone control reduces the loading on the pickup and so gives a clearer sound...more boutique than punk if you ask me...

I consider myself a punk bassist, and i love having 5 (yes 5 knobs!) on my ibanez.
mind you i sort of break away form most punk bassists as i don't play a precision.

The mark hoppus bass does have only one volume knob and it is an awesome looking bass.
The only way to improve it in my opinon would be to have jazz neck with block inlays.

Mark Hoppus is the guy that inspired me to play bass! (I am only 16)

[quote name='ahpook' post='84745' date='Nov 7 2007, 08:06 AM']didn't the mark hoppus sig bass only have a volume control ?

mind you, i've heard it said that removing the tone control reduces the loading on the pickup and so gives a clearer sound...more boutique than punk if you ask me...[/quote]

Bah! if it's minimalism you want, just take 'em both off and just leave the output socket! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='84818' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:57 AM']Bah! if it's minimalism you want, just take 'em both off and just leave the output socket! :huh:[/quote]

:)

OR...fit a wireless system inside the bass and get rid of the output jack !!

it's the 'shaved look'

[quote name='ahpook' post='84864' date='Nov 7 2007, 12:32 PM']:)

OR...fit a wireless system inside the bass and get rid of the output jack !!

it's the 'shaved look'[/quote]

I think you've just invented something there.

The Wi-Fi bass! Forget the output jack, I just want a screw-in socket for one of those lil' bendy rubberised aerials!! :huh:

Meanwhile, back on the Wentz sig, I reckon a matching (black) headstock and BadAss/ other replacement Bridge would render this utterly wicked!

[quote name='crumpet_tramp' post='84761' date='Nov 7 2007, 08:57 AM']The mark hoppus bass does have only one volume knob and it is an awesome looking bass.[/quote]

I read somewhere that Hoppus didn't even want the volume control - he simply wanted an on/off switch! Given that most users will have the volume permanently on full, that actually makes a lot of sense!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='85129' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:06 PM']I know what you mean... Awsome sounding bass but wouldn't be seen dead with the "love heart bat."[/quote]

Has only played the Mike dirnt SQUIER version of the precison

i was gona buy one as a back up but then funds ran out!

reviews of the dirnt would be good!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='85129' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:06 PM']I know what you mean... Awsome sounding bass but wouldn't be seen dead with the "love heart bat."[/quote]

Has only played the Mike dirnt SQUIER version of the precison

i was gona buy one as a back up but then funds ran out!

reviews of the dirnt would be good!

Its a good move by squier. And heres why;

Young teenagers (except myself) adore Pete Wentz. I can't see it in him to be honest, hes an up his arse arrogant f****r. But the girls and boys of the modern scene adore him non the less.

Teenagers.

Not much money.

Want to be pete wentz.

Get his bass.

Simple!

The good thing about pete wentz is he will get more young people in to bass!

yeah i think its good - teenagers into bands like Fall Out Boy are no way gonna be able to afford a 'proper' fender sig model. squier also do some quite nice guitars in a similar vein -

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/prod_images/guitars/0301010506_md.jpg"]Avril Lavigne Signature Telecaster[/url]

[url="http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/F030-1000-505.JPG"]bloke from Sum 41 sig tele[/url]

quite good i reckon

peace

c