Why become a member? ×

Buying a Bass from America

Spoombung

Can anyone recommend the best deal (with the least charge) regarding ordering and paying for a bass in dollars from America and the conversion rate for pounds/dollars?

I'm interested in the cheapest way to convert my pounds into dollars - whether it's debit/credit card, bank or other agencies then trasferring the money.

How would you do it?

Mate - I'm no genius on this subject, and some other members had some good wisdom to offer, but I went to America to collect my bass as I didn't trust the postal service or the risk of ebay scam. Depends on cost of your bass. I got a flight that wasn't too much more than insured post, but it took a lot of comparing etc.

If you're buying from a shop they should be used to shipping, but you incurr customs fees etc.

What you looking at?

I think I went to the post office to convert my money...

My dobro bass was an EBay / Paypal job from Houston, TX & I had a couple of parts shipped over too. You are going to get stung for customs charges. I don't know about the legalities but I know some people have gone over with an empty case & come back with a full case. I wouldn't personally but it gives you an idea of the lengths people go to in order to duck out of custom charges.

theoretically,,,
could you ask the shop to mark the box as a 'repair', thus avoiding customs charges ?
what's the deal there ?

oh, payment-wise, do it by credit-card. protection is a good idea.
the exchange rate is as good as can be expected at the moment..

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='772111' date='Mar 11 2010, 09:10 PM']theoretically,,,
could you ask the shop to mark the box as a 'repair', thus avoiding customs charges ?
what's the deal there ?

oh, payment-wise, do it by credit-card. protection is a good idea.
the exchange rate is as good as can be expected at the moment..[/quote]

You will probably have problems with an insurance claim if it got damaged in transit.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='772111' date='Mar 11 2010, 09:10 PM']theoretically,,,
could you ask the shop to mark the box as a 'repair', thus avoiding customs charges ?[/quote]

'Theoretically' you can get done for attempting to defraud HMC&E and lose the bass! Not trying to scaremonger or be a wet blanket but these days the C&E are far more on the ball and they are well within their rights to check the contents of any imported package and if they even 'consider' that you are trying to pull a swift one they are within their rights to confiscate the item and investigate the declaration; if you are found to be defrauding them then you are scr3wed... just saying! :)

With regard to the £ v $ conversion, don't use PayPal!

<edit>

Should add 'why' paypal is naff for International trade... their conversion rate is abysmal. Great that you get cover but when I [u]SOLD[/u] a bass to the States, I didn't actually get anywhere near what I expected as I used the UK banks normal currency convertor and it was way different to paypal's!

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Spoombung' post='771979' date='Mar 11 2010, 06:59 PM']Can anyone recommend the best deal (with the least charge) regarding ordering and paying for a bass in dollars from America and the conversion rate for pounds/dollars?

I'm interested in the cheapest way to convert my pounds into dollars - whether it's debit/credit card, bank or other agencies then trasferring the money.

How would you do it?[/quote]

Credit Card or paypal, IMO. Less hassle and you've got insurance coverage for the purchase (NB, always check the T&C's to make sure your purchase complies).

Wiring someone some money by bank transfer, Western Union, etc can be a bit risky as you're simply sending them money. With Paypal and Credit Card, it's tied to a transaction. And Bank transfer's quite pricey and can take ages. Some overseas traders won't accept UK debit cards but it's worth asking.

There are numerous currency exchange rate converters on the web - google is your friend :) - but here's a respected one: [url="http://www.xe.com/ucc/"]http://www.xe.com/ucc/[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

A couple of things. Just remember that asking a shop to misrepresent the deliver (undervalue, mark as gift/repair etc) is asking them to commit fraud which at best is a bit cheeky. Shipping charges vary a lot - you should be absolutely certain that your shipping company has revealed *all* the charges to you. I got caught some years ago, "but we quoted you correctly for shipping, sir. The customs handling, storage, sorting,paperwork and ten lots of VAT are not part of the shipping". You still need to pay 'em though!!

For whats it's worth....transpose Fender bass for Corvette or in fact any US car as I have been running them for over 20 years now....

I run a Corvette Stingray and I'm also into Moto X/enduro bikes.....I can buy slightly 'cheaper' across the pond on both counts but, the cost is usually the same in £ as it is in $ once the part is in your hand with post/import charges/incidentals like insurance....and beware customs charges can catch up as long as 6 months later as carriers clear paperwork....been there!

[size=7]...and, and this is such a big and,[/size] you only need some bored/hungover/angry/just for a laugh idiot to post the wrong colour boot carpet liner for a Corvette to/wrong colour bass/left handed/scratched/shop demo one to realise it really isn't worth the hassle, and it's better in the long run to buy from your local supplier...and warranty...forget it!

also.....when you need a '79 wheelnut for a L-82 spec alloy/single TI E string on a Saturday afternoon you know where you can get one.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='772265' date='Mar 11 2010, 11:09 PM']'Theoretically' you can get done for attempting to defraud HMC&E and lose the bass! Not trying to scaremonger or be a wet blanket but these days the C&E are far more on the ball and they are well within their rights to check the contents of any imported package and if they even 'consider' that you are trying to pull a swift one they are within their rights to confiscate the item and investigate the declaration; if you are found to be defrauding them then you are scr3wed... just saying! :rolleyes:

With regard to the £ v $ conversion, don't use PayPal![/quote]

...had packages checked by Customs, this can delay the item for some time and they aren't wrapped up too well afterwards too...also if you declare/insure for a s/h and they check you will be upset :lol: ....customs have experts who know the value of any given US car, no doubt there will be a guy who knows bass.....and with the internet it really is so easy to check.

I even had some golfballs opened up :)

IMO, don't mess with Lizzies' Customs & Excise boys..

They're not stupid.

I imported a few nice Ampegs when the dollar/pound was 2:1 but I don't think it's worth it with current exchange rates unless you just have to have that bass,amp or whatever.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='772265' date='Mar 11 2010, 11:09 PM']'Theoretically' you can get done for attempting to defraud HMC&E and lose the bass! Not trying to scaremonger or be a wet blanket but these days the C&E are far more on the ball and they are well within their rights to check the contents of any imported package and if they even 'consider' that you are trying to pull a swift one they are within their rights to confiscate the item and investigate the declaration; if you are found to be defrauding them then you are scr3wed... just saying! :)

With regard to the £ v $ conversion, don't use PayPal!

<edit>

Should add 'why' paypal is naff for International trade... their conversion rate is abysmal. Great that you get cover but when I [u]SOLD[/u] a bass to the States, I didn't actually get anywhere near what I expected as I used the UK banks normal currency convertor and it was way different to paypal's![/quote]

Yep. I had a bass turn up from the States marked 'repair'. I didn't ask them to send it that way, it was just how it arrived. Thing is, ultimately it's down to you to prove that the bass was sent to the States for the repair in the first place. If you've no proof that it was purchased from the States and then returned there, Customs are well within their rights to confiscate the bass.