Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beedster's gear

Beedster

It's been a long journey....

Basses:
'64 Fender Precision (June, my birth month). All original. Custom colour. La Bella DTs. Plays like butter. Sounds like velvet
'71 Fender fretless mongrel. Modified for J-PUP & ebony board. Lindy Fralin PUPs front and back. TI Jazz flats. Plays like butter. Sounds like velvet. Bit of snarl from the back PUP
'81 Fender Precision Special. Mostly original. Pimped. Active and proud of it. Strung with Fat Beams, does everything I need the other two don't do. Weighs in at 10lbs. The gold/brass hardware accounts for most of that!

Boxes:
Big gig rig: Mesa Boogie M-Pulse Walkabout head & 2 x Bag End S15-Ds. 300w of West Coast valvey goodness into two of the most efficient & tight 15's ever. Magic. Loud.
Small gig rig: The highly surprising (and tall) Ampeg Micro rig. Micro VR head plus 2 x SVT210AVs. Mid heavy in this configuration (but boy can you hear yourself on stage), bassier side-by-side on the floor. Either way, surprisingly powerful and toneful for 200W. Oh, and I can carry the whole rig, and two basses, in one trip!

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='769067' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:55 AM']Nice setup, Chris. When did you get the '64? Nice colour, btw :rolleyes:[/quote]

Link to '64 back story here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68151&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68151&hl=[/url]

Link to '71 back story here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54801&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54801&hl=[/url]

Yep, LPB has kinda grown on me. First gig with this a very enthusiastic chick came running up to me whilst I was still on stage and said "Your bass is awesome". I thought she was referring to my playing so made some kinda "oh, I'm not really all that good, it's a whole band thing" noises. She replied "I was talking about the colour" :)

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='769076' date='Mar 9 2010, 12:03 PM']Very nice Chris. P bass heaven! So is this definitely Journey's End? :)[/quote]

Well, it's a bit like women really isn't it. You always say she's the one...

Joking aside, I've come full circle to get back here. A lot of basses, gear, rehearsals and gigs have re-confirmed the tone and functionality I'm after. None of the above gear is 100% perfect, but they're all the best balance given money, taste, and needs (well, the '64 is a bit more than that obviously). The only bass above that might go is the '81, I love it but it's very contemporary sounding for a vintage instrument. I love the pre-amp, a real surprise given my previous experience of Fender electronics, but, well, you know....

Time will tell eh!

C

Edited by Beedster

Great collection there, and your tone quest seems fairly similar to mine. I went all the way from trying out Sadowsky's and hifi amps all the way back to warm tube amps/Markbass/etc with a simple Fender or Stingray.

Im still hunting for a 5'er....but thats another story.

Id love to hear those amps...

[quote name='Legion' post='769269' date='Mar 9 2010, 02:17 PM']Collection is looking nice now Chris - and 3 is a spot on amount of basses IMO. Was down in Kent recently at the in-laws and wanted to arrange a meet but it turned out to be a flying visit...

Maybe next time

J[/quote]

You know where I am Jase. It would be interesting to A-B the '71 with the Tony Franklin, kinda Pepsi Challenge for vintage versus modern? With the exception of the specific PUPs, they're pretty similar spec'd basses after all?

[quote name='Tee' post='769796' date='Mar 9 2010, 09:46 PM']What kind of music do you play in your band, Chris?[/quote]

Newly formed originals band which is kinda bluesy country soul (interesting line-up, folk singer, blues guitarist. jazz drummer and a funk-orientated bassist). Aiming at a Little Feat & The Band type of sound. Getting there, albeit slowly. Couple of festivals lined up for the summer which will be our first real test. Also just getting into a kinda blues rock covers thing, but that's a little vague at present!

[quote name='JMT3781' post='769875' date='Mar 9 2010, 10:46 PM']i love that the oldest bass is the least beaten up :)

unless i'm getting confused... it is late[/quote]

No, you're spot on, it's in extremely good condition. One of the reasons I bought it was that it still has a lot of playing left in it. Its condition is also important in investment terms if I do ever need to sell it. Close up you can see the years of wear, there's a bit of buckle rash and the finish is starting to deteriorate, but apart from that, it's pretty good for 45 year old.

[quote name='henry norton' post='770192' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:33 AM']But what happened to your maple fretless?[/quote]

Still have the neck, although I've listed it for sale in 'Other musically related stuff' (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80016&hl=). I was just getting to the point where I had too many basses, and the differences between them were getting smaller and smaller. The '71 above has everything I could need in one fretless bass, and has allowed me to let both my fretless Jazz and fretless Precision go (I rarely used the neck PUP on the Jazz, and always felt the Precision needed a little more bite than I could get from the P-PUP alone). How's your maple fretless neck coming on?

[quote name='Beedster' post='770309' date='Mar 10 2010, 12:55 PM']You know where I am Jase. It would be interesting to A-B the '71 with the Tony Franklin, kinda Pepsi Challenge for vintage versus modern? With the exception of the specific PUPs, they're pretty similar spec'd basses after all?[/quote]
I think if I'd known the fretless was a '71 (the year I was born) I would have shown a lot more interest, especially as it already has the ebony board and jazz pup.

I'd actually quite like to compare my Pino to your '64 and my Franklin to your '71 - you have the real deals, mine are the copies :)

[quote name='Legion' post='770391' date='Mar 10 2010, 02:01 PM']I'd actually quite like to compare my Pino to your '64 and my Franklin to your '71 - you have the real deals, mine are the copies :)[/quote]

Has to be done mate. Get a few folks together, blindfold 'em, and give 'em the basses to play through the same rig. Problem is, both my necks are really well played in, so any feedback from the player would be biased by knowing they were playing vintage or modern instruments. Still, perhaps at a future bash we could at least put them side to side and at least get a feel for what the true differences between old and new Fenders are?

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='770309' date='Mar 10 2010, 01:55 PM']Still have the neck, although I've listed it for sale in 'Other musically related stuff' (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=80016&hl=). I was just getting to the point where I had too many basses, and the differences between them were getting smaller and smaller. The '71 above has everything I could need in one fretless bass, and has allowed me to let both my fretless Jazz and fretless Precision go (I rarely used the neck PUP on the Jazz, and always felt the Precision needed a little more bite than I could get from the P-PUP alone). How's your maple fretless neck coming on?[/quote]

Yeah, there's a difference between being a player and a collector. I like your '71 the most out of all three - probably as it's the closest to my setup! I'd hazard a guess you've got closer to the 'more acoustic' sound you were after with the added J pickup too.

I finished my neck a while ago now - in fact I've built a couple more since! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68623&st=0"]fretless maple neck[/url] I'll convert all Fender players to maple fretless in time :)
Good luck with the sales. HN

Edited by henry norton