Why become a member? ×

band Style

krispn

OK so im in a couple of bands - i've been in a few before too and only once did we set out to havea style - we took the easy option and wore suits. Nice!

In one of my current bands the members really wanna set a 'style' have a 'look' or whatever. These ppl have a keen desire to play some quality shows and get some interest with a view to getting a manager and applying for festivals. `the sooner the better but realistically in a yr.

So the issue of style comes up and someone mentioned post-apocalyptic!!! Snake Pliskin anyone? naturally Im the bass player so Im thinking stick on a hat - job done!

Have any of you guys made a conscious decision to 'dress' as a band on stage and when attending other gigs to keep the stylistic motif of the band so that you are readily identifiable? At a recent 'industry' event in Scotland there were a few bunches of people who I can only presume were in a band as to how they were dressed....... and the fact it was an event for bands :) Just call me Columbo :rolleyes:

Discuss!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='764518' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:51 PM']TBH I think my current band could do with a bit of this, but I'm not about to suggest it because I'm 10 years old than the rest of them and god knows what they'd have me wearing. Not to mention all the catching up I'd need to do on tattoos... :)[/quote]
Here you go ..
Tattoo Sleeves....
[url="http://www.dublnr.com/?p=493"]http://www.dublnr.com/?p=493[/url]
A lot less painful :rolleyes:

Now to the OP
A cohesive style is a good idea. Previously we discussed this and decided that "slightly more stage" than you audience was the way to go so whatever you target audience wears, that, plus sequins ....

[quote name='krispn' post='764440' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:42 PM']Have any of you guys made a conscious decision to 'dress' as a band on stage and when attending other gigs to keep the stylistic motif of the band so that you are readily identifiable?[/quote]

Yes, to the first; no to the second. I like to keep a low profile while I'm off-duty.

You've got Westlife at one extreme and Slipknot at another but they all have an identifiable look. The trick is to stick out a little from all the other bands on the same scene as you. Compare Metallica to Van Halen back in the early '80s, for example.

Edited by The Funk

It's something we do talk/have talked about a bit. Drummer always dresses fairly retro Americana (he's got lots of clothes bought in the states on successive visits years ago). Singer/guitarist leans to a smart casual mod , and I shift randomly from dapper retro suits to old school london gangster (so I'm told) in black leather jacket and cardigan (for busking in the cold!). It works pretty well, people often comment on our look and how it suits our sound - rhythm & blues from the '40s & '50s. The one unifying factor is the hats - flat caps, kangols rather than old geezer caps. We could do more, and I think we may well be doing so later this year - I don't think a uniform is really on for us, but we might do something like all get different bowling shirts for summer busking.

[quote name='OldGit' post='764745' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:48 AM']Oh sorry..

Off stage??? When you go out together???
Er, what? like the cheerleaders and jocks in a US high school/Glee, always in their "uniform?" er not until you have invitations to do kids TV and T4 appearances....[/quote]

I've heard of some bands doing this, more in America than here. I think the idea is that everytime you're out in public you're in the middle of a networking / self-promotion opportunity.

It would work better in America where people are more open to the idea of self-promotion.

I wish one of my band members would make a bit more effort before a gig rather than looking like he's borrowed his Dad's best "going out" shirt. Don't necessarily want to have a "style" or owt but just a bit of awareness and forward thinking would be welcomed!

Yeah thanks for the responses both the comedy and more thoughtful :) I guess my band are of the opinion that we should look different from the crowd and at events like other local gigs etc not drees like cheerleaders but have a toned down version of the stage wear.

I think it's interesting that some people think that their bandmates could make a greater effort. The band essentially wanna make a go of it and are trying to be as well positioned and marketable so if the right gig or break happens during all the hard work there is an identity, brand or whatever you want to call it that can be easily identified by the record big wig :rolleyes: seriously tho it's kinda the evolution stage of this band and the let's take this serious and try and make it work.

For everyone else in this position I wish you luck and hope to gig with some of you guys along the way.

My band's going through a phase of shaping up a bit at the moment and we're working on styling ourselves a bit. We're not all going for a matching style, but hopefully we'll all stand out a bit from the crowd. For photo shoots etc we're going to go a bit further too. We all roughly have outfits on stage anyway, it's just taking it to the next level (though mine's going to change a fair bit if I can find suitable clothes).

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='764749' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:54 AM']Someone once told me that if you're mingling with the crowd, they should instantly know you're in the band.

Glad I'm in a tribute band where we don't have to replicate a style. Style, what style???[/quote]

Steely Dan sartorial "style" = Off duty dentist/lawyer/accountant? :) :rolleyes:

I don't really rate the concept of the band having a "look", but most of the shows I enjoy going to are punk or ska. Most of the time the band are wearing pretty similar clothes to the audience and no one cares - passion over fashion :)

I like to dress smart for a gig - shirt, tie, trousers, waistcoat. I like to make some effort. Our guitarist tends to wear a shirt and tie also, so we both look smart. I guess the waistcoat is just me going one better, if he starts wearing waistcoats then I'll have to think about moving up to a bow tie or something :)

When I go to other things, even with the band, I don't pay any attention to that though. I just wear whatever I like.

I've got mates who do bands with costumes, I tend to look at them and think they'd be better without the costumes.

for example:

BARBEROS - [url="http://www.myspace.com/barberosmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/barberosmusic[/url]

Edited by WWRRSS

[quote name='firmo' post='765239' date='Mar 5 2010, 03:03 PM']I wish one of my band members would make a bit more effort before a gig rather than looking like he's borrowed his Dad's best "going out" shirt. Don't necessarily want to have a "style" or owt but just a bit of awareness and forward thinking would be welcomed![/quote]
Not on topic, but that fella from Eastenders (?) in your avatar has the exact same jumper as me. :)

[quote name='WWRRSS' post='765341' date='Mar 5 2010, 04:24 PM']I've got mates who do bands with costumes, I tend to look at them and think they'd be better without the costumes.

for example:

BARBEROS - [url="http://www.myspace.com/barberosmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/barberosmusic[/url][/quote]
Oh but that is ACE.

The image is important & I was interested reading Wil's post - I played in punk bands when I was younger & the image is very much there. I agree that both Boyzone & Slipknot have an image. You need to make an effort even if your look is "we don't make an effort". Some bands don't think about the image as such because they are all fans of the same music so the look is just naturally there - I assume this is what Wil is getting at?

We're the same in my band. The drummer & the mandolin player don't tend to bother quite so much but the singer, guitarist & I are a right bunch of posers who frankly are all old enough to know better! Ahem :blush: