Why become a member? ×

Whats the white P bass with blocks and inalys Simon Rix plays

dave_bass5

Bloody hell, that was quick.

Cheers guys.

Those Shukers look fantastic......oh god no, not again lol. must keep that GAS down.

Im not really a fan of the Kaisers but i really enjoyed this concert. Nice bass tone, then again, it was a P so it should be eh?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Clarky' post='763433' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:15 PM']Take a cold shower Dave and repeat after me "I do not need a Shuker, I do not need a Shuker etc"[/quote]
I don't need a shuker, I do want a shuker, I can't afford a shuker, that won't stop me lol.

I've spent all week loving my MM SUB and wondering if I should get rid of my Duck Dunn and then I hear this lovley tone coming out of this lovely bass. It's just not fair.

Any idea on the cost? I'm really just asking as I know I can't afford it and I am sorted as far as a P goes.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='763441' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:24 PM']I don't need a shuker, I do want a shuker, I can't afford a shuker, that won't stop me lol.

I've spent all week loving my MM SUB and wondering if I should get rid of my Duck Dunn and then I hear this lovley tone coming out of this lovely bass. It's just not fair.

Any idea on the cost? I'm really just asking as I know I can't afford it and I am sorted as far as a P goes.[/quote]
If its similar to the JJ Burnel then we're talking about £1500

[quote name='Musicman20' post='763471' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:50 PM']What I want to know about Shuker is how they compare to a Sei or Overwater? The prices seem lower for a similar bass with Shuker...is there a reason?

That P bass looks sweet.[/quote]

Yup

He's not paying Sei type rent for a place in London, he's not paying for staff and a shop like Overwater and, to be honest with everyone, he doesn't charge enough....

That's about it as far as I can see. he is also up for one offs and "different" basses rather than variations on certain body types or shapes etc..That's how you get things like Dood's Doodles and Kiwi's Midi headless...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='763530' date='Mar 4 2010, 12:13 AM']Yup

He's not paying Sei type rent for a place in London, he's not paying for staff and a shop like Overwater and, to be honest with everyone, he doesn't charge enough....

That's about it as far as I can see. he is also up for one offs and "different" basses rather than variations on certain body types or shapes etc..That's how you get things like Dood's Doodles and Kiwi's Midi headless...[/quote]

Ah yes, thats makes sense. Well...if anyone has any pictures of more 'vintage style' Jazz 5'ers from Shuker...please let me know. Blocks and bindings are a must! Im not getting LEDs, and I definitely want the best 'vintage sounding' 60/70s type Jazz pickups, but with the ability to go into a nice 3 band EQ...it all has to be the right tone and style for me.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='763471' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:50 PM']What I want to know about Shuker is how they compare to a Sei or Overwater? The prices seem lower for a similar bass with Shuker...is there a reason?[/quote]

Just because custom builders charge a different amount to their contemporaries, doesn't make them better or worse - just different. The basses from every custom builder are different as each one has their own take on what is important in a bass. Finding the right luthier to build YOUR bass is finding someone who has the same priorities in making a bass as you do in playing one.

Sei, Overwater and Shuker all make fantastic basses. However I own only Overwaters and a Sei, because they have made instruments that suit what I want from a bass, and I've yet to try a Shuker that does the same for me. It's highly personal, which is why a recommendation for a custom builder from anyone on here can only be taken as a suggestion to go and try their instruments and not a guarantee that they will definitely be able to make the perfect bass for you.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='763670' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:17 AM']not a guarantee that they will definitely be able to make the perfect bass for you.[/quote]

Ive never had a custom bass but one thing that puts me off is that i dont know what i want in the first place.
It seems very overwhelming to have to make all the decisions.

I do know there are 100's of off the self bases i would be more than happy to own so i dont think ill ever need to go the custom route.

Modding, now thats different.

Re: Shuker, all I will add is that the JJ Burnel is like a 2009 MIA Precision, only better. It hangs really well (Jon tweaked the basic P dimensions and chose the woods so it would not be too heavy), everyone who played it loved the neck (very wide and flat maple board but reasonably shallow and easy to get around very fast), and the components were all top-notch (including special slightly over-wound P type p/u's, a very thick paint finish, and a nicely cut phenolic scratchplate).

Given you love your P's Gareth I doubt you would find a better made and nicer-playing one - and I assume the same principles apply to the Simon Rix model.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='763550' date='Mar 4 2010, 12:41 AM']and I definitely want the best 'vintage sounding' 60/70s type Jazz pickups, but with the ability to go into a nice 3 band EQ...[/quote]

Then you'll want Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and a John East J-Retro = Sorted :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='763685' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:36 AM']Ive never had a custom bass but one thing that puts me off is that i dont know what i want in the first place.
It seems very overwhelming to have to make all the decisions.[/quote]

You don't need to know exactly every single detail for your bass. That's what your luthier is there to help you with, and if they can't/won't do that then look elsewhere. There are plenty of custom luthiers about (over 20 in the UK alone) so you should be able to find the right person to build your bass for you. The decisions you need to make your self are the easy ones: You know which bass(es) you like the sound of, which bass(es) feel right to play and what the right bass for you looks like. It's up to your luthier to put all those things together and building you the bass you want.

IMO people tend to over-specify a custom bass, asking for a particular wood because they've heard it has the tonal characteristics they want, while forgetting that the example they know was probably made with wood from the US or somewhere in the Far East, when the bass they're having made will probably be constructed from locally sourced wood which may well have a completely different growth pattern giving a different tonal characteristic.

When I've specified custom instruments in the past, I don't care what wood is used, as long as it's going to contribute to the sound I want from the bass and if the bass isn't going to be painted a solid colour will look good. My Sei was spec'd because I wanted a Flamboyant Offset shape, I had a picture of a Nordstrand bass I liked the colours of, and I told Martin I wanted to be able to get the sound of Mick Karn in Japan. I know what I wanted the end result to look, sound and play like. Martin built the bass that did all those things.

Yeah, i was just using wood as an example. Some people make a big deal of what wood is used but like you say, some people can go over the top with what they ask for anyway.

I can understand why people go for a custom job though and not belittling them, its just not for me. As far as i know.

Let me add that the JJB really is a fantastic bass to play. It's just so well balanced and useable. I too prefer a slimer neck and normally err towards the usual B nut width so I was a little concerned about the width on the Shuker, but when sat in the hand, it really does work.

As I recall, Jon Shuker would tweak the neck slightly if you prefered a thinner width.

I can heartily recommended the JJB if you want a P that's going to do what a P should, but properly. Happy days :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='763773' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:01 AM']You don't need to know exactly every single detail for your bass. That's what your luthier is there to help you with, and if they can't/won't do that then look elsewhere. There are plenty of custom luthiers about (over 20 in the UK alone) so you should be able to find the right person to build your bass for you. The decisions you need to make your self are the easy ones: You know which bass(es) you like the sound of, which bass(es) feel right to play and what the right bass for you looks like. It's up to your luthier to put all those things together and building you the bass you want.

IMO people tend to over-specify a custom bass, asking for a particular wood because they've heard it has the tonal characteristics they want, while forgetting that the example they know was probably made with wood from the US or somewhere in the Far East, when the bass they're having made will probably be constructed from locally sourced wood which may well have a completely different growth pattern giving a different tonal characteristic.

When I've specified custom instruments in the past, I don't care what wood is used, as long as it's going to contribute to the sound I want from the bass and if the bass isn't going to be painted a solid colour will look good. My Sei was spec'd because I wanted a Flamboyant Offset shape, I had a picture of a Nordstrand bass I liked the colours of, and I told Martin I wanted to be able to get the sound of Mick Karn in Japan. I know what I wanted the end result to look, sound and play like. Martin built the bass that did all those things.[/quote]

+1 or +3 if you like as I've had 3 customs built :)

Specify things like sound, colours, sound, shape of body, sound, weight, colour of hardware, sound, headstock layout etc..
Then lt them get on with it. If you try to tell them how to achieve it you risk compromising the end result. It's a leap of faith but you really do have to trust their skill in helping you work out what you want and then building a bass to achieve the ojectives.

The JJB and the Simon Rix are virtually "off the shelf" basses rather than customs.

I asked Jon about a JJB with differences such as rosewood fingerboard, J pickup added etc. His reply was "well I can build you that but it's not a JJB"

So if you try a JJB or a Simon Rix signature, and then order one, it's going to be very close to the one you've tried. Of course you'll also have about 18 months to save up....

But I agree with BRX's previous post. There are loads of people making great basses in the UK (And Italy, I shoud add, quickly!) The best idea is to sketch out a few ideas - in terms of a list of features - and then call a few people for a chat. Then try as many of their basses as you can.
People like Sei, Overwater and Shuker have been making great basses for long enough to know what they are doing. They may not suit you but they re all great basses. teh important thing is to feel you get on well with the luthier.

I should add Wood and Tronics here too but they are a bit different :rolleyes:

+1 to BRX's suggestion. With my fretless (W&T), I told them the key physical features, overall general aesthetic, and sound that I wanted, and they did the rest. And they did a phenomenal job.

Re: not 'needing' a custom - I thought the same thing. Eventually I decided to get my first 'custom' (it had already been made when i bought it, but to specs I would've had anyway) as I was finding that every stock bass would be compromising even just a little on what i wanted from my instruments. Now, with two amazing custom jobs, I have no such niggles.